Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gigafactory locations and products

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you like soccer, you may want to delay your Gigafactory tour until the World Cup in 2026. Games will be played in:
  • New York, Boston and Toronto for Buffalo​
  • Dallas and Houston for Austin and Starbase​
  • SF for Fremont​
  • Miami for Cape Canaveral where Starship will be flying from mostly by then​
  • Monterrey for Giga Mexico and Starbase​

Reactions: CarlS

If they did it would be a major export factory. SK market is small.

If Tesla opens Giga SK, then it's truly game over for Japanese automakers.

SK will have massive Kia, Hyundai and Tesla exports. China will have Tesla, BYD and others.

Japan has Toyota BZ4X.

Wonder if Tesla can use the “unboxed” next gen vehicle design, which uses far less factory footprint per installied unit capacity, to create miniGigafactories in significantly sized vehicle markets (like South Korea, Japan & UK) to start localized production in those markets of the next gen vehicle with less risky initial capital outlay and easier site selection.

I guess the regular posters are still sleeping so: (elon tweet)

"At some point, we should probably do advertising as art/communication/entertainment & to support high quality media"

Anyway, regarding S Korea being too small, I am currently on holiday there, having just come from Japan. Japan has a few Teslas, South Korea.... I think I've seen one. There is a huge opportunity here for Tesla to sell well. Its not like Koreans don't like cars, or don't spend on nice ones, and its not like they don't like high tech stuff either.
Very very apartment-block based though. Destination charging a must. But I look forward to Tesla doing way better in this market in future, even if it does not get a dedicated factory.

TESLA INTO INDIA??

We are missing what this means!! GigaSeoul could export into India without the 100% Tariff as South Korea has a free trade agreement into India. South Korea business & trade Friendly. Also FTAs with US and other strategic countries.

Elon Musk reportedly requested this meeting with the South Korean President and flew to DC for it.

Tesla bypassing difficulty of opening a factory in India (India’s laws will add a tariff to the purchase price if all suppliers parts don’t come from India too. Can’t just open an assembly plant & ship in parts. A GigaFactory in India requires an enormous financial outlay, not only by Tesla, but all Tesla suppliers. Multiple factories would need to be built. Logistics nightmare).

Looks like GigaSeoul would be for the Gen 3. Expect Massive volumes on the Gen 3. Hey, Wall Street can we get a rerate when GigaSeoul is official? That has to increase your forecasts from 6.5M EVs in 2030 (vastly discounted from Tesla’s goal of 20M). Gen 3 Sold in India, now the most populous country in the world is how Tesla gets there. Tesla always steps ahead of us. It was right there, but we didn’t see it. H/T Thanks @kosarimine, great call out!

Reactions: CarlS