Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Glare from side repeaters in blind spot camera?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did you see the actual part number printed on the housing though? Can you keep that one if they're replacing it?
I took a picture of the housing and added it to the post above. I couldn’t keep it. But the one ending in D does not do it. However they broke it when putting it in so I need to get it replaced again. Here’s a picture of the part ending in D and no glare.

Attachments

• 5C7957B2-E6AA-4088-AC00-58BA210DC371.jpeg
    5C7957B2-E6AA-4088-AC00-58BA210DC371.jpeg
    483.5 KB · Views: 271
Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Durzel
I've made a dedicated thread for this, based on @Tevo Solutions 's video:

I think we'll have more success arguing this from a FSD perspective. It will absolutely degrade the quality of the information FSD will be making decisions on. It absolutely sucks we have to fight Tesla to have them replace an obviously defective component that we have clear evidence of them trying to band-aid. There's many people, some in this very thread, who have had it replaced under warranty.
Other than one earlier case, ones that got it replaced so far had it only on one side. Much easier to claim defect when the issue is not uniform. However there are also plenty of cases where Tesla denied it was a warranty issue. No one is saying not to try, but be prepared to get no as an answer.
I'm not sure you can argue based on the blind spot pop-up given you can just turn that off. But I totally disagree dismissing that because it's a 'bonus' introduced in a software update. Software updates are products much like on iOS; they're selling points of the hardware and actively advertised as a benefit by Tesla. It's now a deployed feature on consumer vehicles. Could you possibly argue it's a 'bonus' to someone who bought an M3 yesterday? Or could you argue Hold Mode is a bonus as it arrived in a software update too? It blows my mind people try to defend Tesla who are trying abdicate responsibility.
Good luck proving it on FSD. As for someone that bought it yesterday (after the feature was introduced) they might have a case, but the ones still having an issue are the ones that never had the feature on the first place when they bought the car.

It is also not required under federal law (unlike other examples bought up), so Tesla wouldn't have regulatory obligations to do a recall.

As mentioned by others, if the issue is pushed (that the blinking is too distracting on the screen), Tesla can easily release an update with the feature removed (but I think the ability to turn it off probably is enough).

I took a picture of the housing and added it to the post above. I couldn’t keep it. But the one ending in D does not do it. However they broke it when putting it in so I need to get it replaced again. Here’s a picture of the part ending in D and no glare.
Do you see any other differences in the upgraded camera besides the lack of glare from the turn signal LED?

So, latecomer to this thread. Have a 2018 Model 3, so you guys probably know where this is going. Got the software update and noted that there was a tremendous amount of glare in low-light (i.e., it's dark out!) when going left or right.
As it happens, the FSD package has been paid for, the computer upgraded to Gen 3, and all that. And, looking at those side views, it crossed my mind that, when FSD finally shows up on the car, well, if I can't see out those cameras at night, the car won't be able to either.
The SO's Model Y, a 2021 model, doesn't have the glare.
Saw that people were getting their cameras replaced under warrantee, so put in a service request.
It's not going to be cheap. Tesla's response:
"The blind sport camera performance on older vehicles is neither a defect of materials or workmanship. It is a characteristic of the product in low light settings. And it's a characteristic that has been design enhanced in newer vehicle production for 2022 and the Palladium Models. You have the option to purchase the upgraded cameras as a retrofit and have them installed to your vehicle. The camera upgrades are about $230 (before tax) each. Please respond with receipt of this message and how you would like to proceed. Thank you."
I did point out that this was probably going to be a problem with FSD. And agreed to the $460 charge, anyway. They're coming in on Mobile Service on the 2nd of February to do the work.
Geez. Paid thousands for FSD, and now this.
So: $460 for replacement cameras/turn signals. Now you know.

So, latecomer to this thread. Have a 2018 Model 3, so you guys probably know where this is going. Got the software update and noted that there was a tremendous amount of glare in low-light (i.e., it's dark out!) when going left or right.
As it happens, the FSD package has been paid for, the computer upgraded to Gen 3, and all that. And, looking at those side views, it crossed my mind that, when FSD finally shows up on the car, well, if I can't see out those cameras at night, the car won't be able to either.
The SO's Model Y, a 2021 model, doesn't have the glare.
Saw that people were getting their cameras replaced under warrantee, so put in a service request.
It's not going to be cheap. Tesla's response:
"The blind sport camera performance on older vehicles is neither a defect of materials or workmanship. It is a characteristic of the product in low light settings. And it's a characteristic that has been design enhanced in newer vehicle production for 2022 and the Palladium Models. You have the option to purchase the upgraded cameras as a retrofit and have them installed to your vehicle. The camera upgrades are about $230 (before tax) each. Please respond with receipt of this message and how you would like to proceed. Thank you."
I did point out that this was probably going to be a problem with FSD. And agreed to the $460 charge, anyway. They're coming in on Mobile Service on the 2nd of February to do the work.
Geez. Paid thousands for FSD, and now this.
So: $460 for replacement cameras/turn signals. Now you know.
I strongly suspect they will have to replace these cameras at some point for FSD. I have been told at a service centre that if needed, Tesla will replace cameras for FSD to function (and have evidence of such).

In a couple of discussions people defending Tesla on this issue claim this won't affect FSD performance - I strongly disagree. I work in VFX / video production and do motion tracking fairly regularly. The process in which I do that will be somewhat different to Tesla's on-the-fly solution, but the underlying principle will be the same:

1. Load the data (i.e - the input from the camera, or in my case a video file from a camera)
2. Analyse and identify points of high contrast
3. Track movement over time of those points
4. Build a solve (output a virtual camera that attempts to mimic the movements of the original perspective)

You can then go on to use that solve. For me, CGI placed into a video will appear to be 'in' the environment thanks to an accurate solve. For Tesla, the virtual car in vector space should be accurately placed relative to the virtual environment around it. The virtual environment and virtual car should closely align to the real environment and real car, and therefore the solve needs to be as accurate as possible.

Going back to the blinded camera, that's affecting step 2 in the above process - Analyse and identify points of high contrast. If you're blinding a camera with indicator light 50% of the time during a lane change or junction turn you're screwing up 50% of your data to base decisions on. Everything in the visual area of the glare is having its perceived colours, contrast and brightness dramatically shifted. As far as the computer is concerned - everything in that area is now completely different. You can either develop some kind of advanced algorithm to try and account for the glare in every scenario (which isn't going to work well because depending on what's behind the glare the area can be different in colour or contrast AND will require you to spend additional processing power), or completely disregard the frames with the glare on and extrapolate what's happening using object permanence. Either way, you're spending a ton of development time compensating for a manufacturing defect, both of which are going to strongly affect the decisions FSD is making in strange ways.

Let's not forget a repeater will likely be the only camera in many scenarios to base decisions off of during manoeuvres/lane changes/turnings, particularly when there's another vehicle directly behind you blocking the rear camera.

Over time there'll be more vehicles with corrected cameras - that's a problem. FSD is supposed to be trained on data from, and deployed on cars using, the same sensor suite. There's now a proportionally shrinking number of cars using defective cameras. Will It make sense to spend more dev resources compensating for this shrinking group? Someone's eventually going to say 'screw it' and just make the argument to upper management these rubbish cameras need to be replaced because it's straining FSD development.

Long story short, at some point, cameras being blinded will become one of the lower hanging fruits to improve FSD performance compared to say, chasing diminishing returns for the march of 9's. I think if you go ahead and pay the fee now you might find yourself fighting Tesla to get a refund on it when this replacement programme ends up happening.

Last edited:
Reactions: Durzel
The replacement program, if and when it happens, will probably be a long time coming because they’d have to replace the cameras on everything pre middle of 2021. I suspect they would be resistant to it.

Perhaps they would limit this to people who have purchased FSD?

On the one hand the cameras could essentially ignore the frames that are impaired by the indicator, but on the other it’s like a regular extended “blink”, and a lot can happen during those, particularly at significant speed deltas. Imagine how a closing car would approach if you had to discard 5 of of every 25 frames per second, etc.

The replacement program, if and when it happens, will probably be a long time coming because they’d have to replace the cameras on everything pre middle of 2021. I suspect they would be resistant to it.

Perhaps they would limit this to people who have purchased FSD?

On the one hand the cameras could essentially ignore the frames that are impaired by the indicator, but on the other it’s like a regular extended “blink”, and a lot can happen during those, particularly at significant speed deltas. Imagine how a closing car would approach if you had to discard 5 of of every 25 frames per second, etc.
FSD-owners-only replacements would be likely given that's what happened with HW3 and the S & X replacement programme.

Speaking of - I googled the S & X camera upgrade programme just to reconfirm and found reports of a recall for S, X & 3 repeater camera recall due to "defective printed circuit boards". HUH? I do not remember this. This sounds precisely what's wrong with our cameras? Is this misreporting of the camera upgrade programme or did this happen seperately? Why are we not being enrolled directly into that programme?

Speaking of - I googled the S & X camera upgrade programme just to reconfirm and found reports of a recall for S, X & 3 repeater camera recall due to "defective printed circuit boards". HUH? I do not remember this. This sounds precisely what's wrong with our cameras? Is this misreporting of the camera upgrade programme or did this happen seperately? Why are we not being enrolled directly into that programme
That was for cameras that didn't work at all. So an entirely different issue.

FSD-owners-only replacements would be likely given that's what happened with HW3 and the S & X replacement programme.

Speaking of - I googled the S & X camera upgrade programme just to reconfirm and found reports of a recall for S, X & 3 repeater camera recall due to "defective printed circuit boards". HUH? I do not remember this. This sounds precisely what's wrong with our cameras? Is this misreporting of the camera upgrade programme or did this happen seperately? Why are we not being enrolled directly into that programme?
Note it's not a recall, looks like they did it like a TSB. It says right in the article, the cameras lose electrical continuity, and the symptoms include a blank or flashing video feed. That is not what is happening here.

Thanks.
I can't make sense of what you've found. The same part number I have here (which appears in my video) has the later PCB which doesn't suffer from glare.
Shame you couldn't keep it as looking inside would be the only was to solve the mystery,
I suppose we can only conclude now that we'd need a -D camera to be 100% sure the problem will go away.
That, or carry out the DIY repair.
This is a very similiar situation to condensation in tail lights. Lots of owners have had fogged up lights replaced by Tesla only to find they fog up again, because the factory making the lights never fixed the root cause (cracks in the weld). The only sure way to get rid of the problem is the DIY fix.

Reactions: jsmay311 and Durzel
This does explain why my car is more reluctant to lane change at night than it is during the day. Had 4 failed lane changes tonight and there was no other reason for them to fail. During the. Day it worked fine. This is clearly a Warranty issue and Tesla need to Own it. Ive set up a service appt and if its refused under warranty its going to be made very public until Tesla sort it. You shouldnt have to drill holes and repair it yourself when the car is under warranty. The crappy tape fix is an admission of the fault on Tesla's part already. All having the view of the cameras has done is bring this to the attention of owners and rightly so, we should know if the cameras on our cars are blinded when indicating.

This does explain why my car is more reluctant to lane change at night than it is during the day. Had 4 failed lane changes tonight and there was no other reason for them to fail. During the. Day it worked fine. This is clearly a Warranty issue and Tesla need to Own it. Ive set up a service appt and if its refused under warranty its going to be made very public until Tesla sort it. You shouldnt have to drill holes and repair it yourself when the car is under warranty. The crappy tape fix is an admission of the fault on Tesla's part already. All having the view of the cameras has done is bring this to the attention of owners and rightly so, we should know if the cameras on our cars are blinded when indicating.
I completely agree with you on all points there. I've been vocal here and where else I can.

What I've found surprising and absolutely frustrating is that on the Tesla owners uk group the response to me outlining the issue is general apathy and - shockingly - defence of Tesla on the issue. There's no arguing around the fact this is a design flaw and they've set the precedent of admitting fault by trying to band-aid it and giving out free replacements to many owners. The responses range from "it's not that bad" to "stop complaining", "you don't know it'll cause an issue" and "just pay for the replacements". Tesla is a company, not your buddy next door. Hold them to account if you want them to improve; it's a win-win to have happy customers.

Tesla isn't getting a free pass from me until the issue is dealt with. Down to help in whatever way I can. Half-jokingly thought maybe it'll have to come down to initiating 100 lane changes during the night vs the day and documenting the results. Both Dartford and Chelmsford are refusing these requests now so I'd suggest initiating it from another service centre and requesting mobile service.

Last edited:
Reactions: GlmnAlyAirCar
There's a chance that Tesla can correct the glare issue with software. The repeater LED could tuned to skip cycles when compared to front and rear turn signal lights.. Or as others have mentioned, glare frames could be either dropped or ignored.

It isn't like Tesla hasn't faced a similar problem before. When the windshield wipers are active, the front cameras are transiently obstructed by the moving wiper.

Reactions: laservet
More information. After being told that the turn signals/cameras were $230, each, which made me think we were talking $460 for the pair, I got the actual estimate a day later. The camera/turn signal hardware is $130 apiece and $30 labor each, for a total of $341 with tax. So, a little better.
My SO made the comment that she suspected that the neural network might be able to work through the glare. Which is possible, I guess. Otherwise, I'm guessing that Scotty7's comment about having to retrofit those M3's with older camera/turn signal hardware when FSD hits General Availability might come to pass. We'll see.

• Informative
Reactions: Enginerd
More information. After being told that the turn signals/cameras were $230, each, which made me think we were talking $460 for the pair, I got the actual estimate a day later. The camera/turn signal hardware is $130 apiece and $30 labor each, for a total of $341 with tax. So, a little better.
My SO made the comment that she suspected that the neural network might be able to work through the glare. Which is possible, I guess. Otherwise, I'm guessing that Scotty7's comment about having to retrofit those M3's with older camera/turn signal hardware when FSD hits General Availability might come to pass. We'll see.
Can these be swapped by ourselves and save $60?