Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Glare from side repeaters in blind spot camera?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So who is going to be first to put a piece of tape on the underside of the blinker?
It's supposedly caused by light leakage between the outer glass and the camera lens according to people who have covered the entire unit with opaque tape.

• Informative
Reactions: GlmnAlyAirCar
Yes, cars seem further away with the wider view. If adjusted the suma ones correctly, when the passing car disappears from the sideview mirrors, the car should be right next to you in your peripheral. There's no longer a blind spot.
I guess I don’t get it. A driver’s side mirror that makes a car right beside you look like it is behind you doesn’t seem like a good idea.

I guess I don’t get it. A driver’s side mirror that makes a car right beside you look like it is behind you doesn’t seem like a good idea.
I agree, but the Suma mirrors don't do that. I can see my rear corner in the mirror for reference. When cars are in your blind spot, you can see that the car is next to you, not behind you, in the mirror. It's not super wide, just wide enough to solve the blind spot issue.

I think these mirrors are my favorite mod on my car.

Reactions: laservet and jwuwu
Mobile service replaced the repeater units today. The tech was capable and efficient. After watching him do it, it's definitely a DIY job like in the online videos. I took apart one of faulty units and best I could tell the light leakage is from the o ring that surrounds the camera lens. It doesn't appear to be fixable IMO because the unit is sealed and once you pry open the seal the glue splits the unit's plastic back.

There is one interesting thing that the tech did. In my 2020 Model Y, there's apparently a hidden port under the dash to the left of the steering wheel. He connected his laptop to the port and did what he called an "image cast" to check the new cameras. His laptop displayed all the cameras. I'm guessing that an image cast displays the direct output from the cameras. Does anyone here know any more about this?

I've just discovered something which might help us with warranty claims.
Editing the final video together now and hope to have it live by the weekend.
I think you're going to find it interesting...
I'm looking forward to the video, but I'm not holding out much hope for a warranty claim. The reason is that the Tesla SC mantra is that the blind spot detection option was not intended for older models. You and I know that explanation is a pile of dung, but there are probably too many affected vehicles for Tesla to absorb the cost.

BTW you probably saw my post. The insides of the repeater camera unit are quite interesting.

I'm looking forward to the video, but I'm not holding out much hope for a warranty claim. The reason is that the Tesla SC mantra is that the blind spot detection option was not intended for older models. You and I know that explanation is a pile of dung, but there are probably too many affected vehicles for Tesla to absorb the cost.

BTW you probably saw my post. The insides of the repeater camera unit are quite interesting.
I can't see how the blind spot function would be intended only for newer models? In the UK we have owners with older Model 3s having their cameras replaced because of this under warranty (although we only got the Model 3 in 2019). I think this is another issue where individual service centres are making up their own rules.
BTW, the O ring isn't the culprit. I think now there may be a way to repair the older units if all else fails and people don't mind having a go at it. I'm going to try this morning and if it works well enough I'll include it in the video I'm making.

The glare issue is solved for me today.

Tesla Mobile Service came and replaced the right repeater camera under warranty (was not even a discussion if it should be warranty or not). The replacement operation took maximum five minutes but the camera came black on the screen initially. The technician performed some tests, confirmed the camera is working and it will show up on the screen after a short drive. I check the car an hour after he left and the camera was showing OK on the screen without me needing to drive the car.

I obviously test this evening/night the “glare” effect and is all GONE.

I’m super happy with Tesla Mobile Service here in The Netherlands!

So are we coming to the conclusion that if your cameras are different from one another then Tesla WILL swap the worse camera, but if BOTH are what you call 'bad', Tesla offers you the opportunity to UPGRADE?
I would agree to that statement, from what I've read on these repeater threads. Though for me, they haven't even bothered to answer what cost would be to "upgrade" my old style repeaters. Guess they don't need my money. Eh

It is also possible that consumer protections in the UK and Netherlands are sufficiently different from the US that Tesla decided to not say the same thing US customers are being told and, instead, handles it as a warranty issue.
Yes, I agree the warranty aspects are quite regulated and the customer in NL has quite some power.
I had a short chat with the technician and he actually did not know what were the actual symptoms with my car so I show him my recordings. He did not recognized the specific glare issue but he mentioned: “we have many issues with these cameras”. I believe they replace many of them here in The Netherlands and he is not necessary aware of the symptoms just because he is sent with a clear task to replace the camera.

The glare issue is solved for me today.

Tesla Mobile Service came and replaced the right repeater camera under warranty (was not even a discussion if it should be warranty or not). The replacement operation took maximum five minutes but the camera came black on the screen initially. The technician performed some tests, confirmed the camera is working and it will show up on the screen after a short drive. I check the car an hour after he left and the camera was showing OK on the screen without me needing to drive the car.

I obviously test this evening/night the “glare” effect and is all GONE.

I’m super happy with Tesla Mobile Service here in The Netherlands!

Any other improvements with the cameras except the lack of glare?

Planning to report this to my local Tesla SC (UK) shortly, in the hope I can get them both replaced under warranty, along with what will be my second rear light that’s developed water droplets inside (sigh). I’m sceptical that they’ll replace the cameras though..

Any thoughts on what language I ought to use when making the service appointment? “Not fit for purpose” seems like a stretch but I dunno. Technically this feature wasn’t part of the original spec I paid for so don’t know how I can really argue it should be now, but at the same time the feature is imo basically useless at night on older cameras.

6031189B-E3FA-4C9D-BE54-5A5CFB9943B9.jpeg

Last edited: