Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Glare from side repeaters in blind spot camera?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, no consistency in the approach of two SCs there then...

Anyway, I've got some more info from Tesla over the part numbers now.
There is only one version currently available, the others have been discontinued they tell me.
The p/n is 1495864-20-C/1495865-20-C and it's got a black body so you need to buy the chrome trim if your M3 isn't de-chromed. What the black trim is for isn't clear at this stage.
They said the rev D camera shown in the EPC hasn't been released yet, so they don't know what the difference will be but it does seem the light leak problem was fixed a while ago from reports, so probably nothing to do with that.
Just FYI, the cost of a new unit is £110 inc. and the chrome trim £9 inc. You would need to carry out a camera calibration after fitting.

• Helpful
Reactions: Durzel
Hmm..

Does that mean the trim is actually something you can remove and replace? I have a chrome trim car (2020) which is currently dechromed (with vinyl, not a cap - so not something that can be transferred even if it fit), but if I ever came to sell it, particularly trading in to Tesla, I presume I'd have to get it removed, at which point having black indicator cameras and chrome trim would be a bit odd. At the same time I don't particularly want to have to buy chrome trim on top of the camera just to then dechrome it afterwards, if that makes sense.

I presume you didn't discuss warranty replacements, etc?

Thanks for taking the time to dig in to this.

I didn't discuss warranty as I'm only speaking with the parts dept. I have 4 repeaters affected by this myself so might be having that conversation myself at some point...
I think the chrome trim is a recent design change as I'm sure my original chrome repeaters don't have removable trim, but I'll be able to say more after the weekend once I've pulled a couple of these units apart.

Reactions: Durzel
Can you post your invoice for the warranty claim? Thanks.
E29FECDE-45FF-4F6C-98B2-5DDA9B8EE559.jpeg

I would suspect the reason yours was replaced for free was because you could demonstrate the other part was performing correctly, and therefore it was easy to make the argument that they should replace the "defective" one. There would be basically no resolution there that doesn't involve them changing one of the cameras.

For people with two blown out cameras they can just say "the part has been improved since you bought the car sir".

I got the message in my Tesla app from service:

Hi Randy the side repeater cameras used on vehicles manufactured until late 2020, early 2021 have a design which allows for some light leak into the camera feed. This is especially noticeable in dark conditions. You are eligible to purchase the upgraded cameras if you would like .As for the rear camera concern there is a recall for that issue however at this time parts are not available and a fix is still in development. Once parts are available Tesla will reach out to to schedule you for service. Please let us know if you would like to upgrade your cameras otherwise we can close this service visit out. Thank you!​

I actually got it twice yesterday and today, obviously cut and pasted in as the typos above were identically in both msgs.

Wonder what the rear camera issue that has a recall on it.

Last edited: