Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Glare from side repeaters in blind spot camera?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Perhaps it can be taken apart and painted on the areas that the light is leaking thru. Looks like it's more than $65 to buy one used on Ebay
The post by @TevoSolutions indicates that he's going to disassemble a repeater unit and see what can be done to correct the issue:

Perhaps it can be taken apart and painted on the areas that the light is leaking thru. Looks like it's more than $65 to buy one used on Ebay
The issue there is it's a sealed unit and not at all easy to get apart without damaging it or compromising the seal. I don't think there are many who would bother trying in order to save a couple of hundred bucks. I've taken one apart and will be posting a video in the next few days which shows what the issue is. There may be a way to get something in there to stop the light bleed without opening it up completely and that's what I'm going to look at.

Happens on both sides at night. It’s especially bad in the rain. We have a mid 2020 Midnight Silver Model Y.
Returning from our Christmas vacation on Dec 27th we encountered a light rain/mist in the evening on the highway and on my 2020 Y the image is virtually useless. That’s why I ordered some wide-angle minors from Hansshow. I wish Tesla would throw in the towel and adopt the industry norm for BSM.

I like the blind spot cameras, even when they flash orange at night. For those thinking about this, does anyone find that the image resides behind their normal hand position on the steering wheel? When I look down to see the camera view, my hand/arm is usually in the way.
Same here, my right hand blocks the view.

I don’t mind paying for replacement cameras. For those who have the newer cameras that don’t have this problem, is the color temp more normal instead of the reddish-orange color tint mine have?

Last edited:
I posted earlier about the issue for me -- right side only. I have a mobile service visit scheduled for Jan. 14.

Today I got a long message from a service advisor saying they are aware of the issue and that newer camera parts do offer improved glare resistance.

BUT, they will not replace the camera in my Model Y

VIN 5YJYGDXXX

unless I pay for it. I decided I would accept the offer.

I just got a service confirmation that the visit on Friday is still on schedule.

I posted earlier about the issue for me -- right side only. I have a mobile service visit scheduled for Jan. 14.

Today I got a long message from a service advisor saying they are aware of the issue and that newer camera parts do offer improved glare resistance.

VIN 5YJYGDXXX

I just got a service confirmation that the visit on Friday is still on schedule.

Let us know what they charge for it please.

VIN 5YJYGDXXX

Did they give you the total cost of replacement?

VIN 5YJYGDXXX

Mine is in for service today and I got the same answer re replacement cameras. I should have a quote soon, will post.

Reactions: alexcue
The cost estimate is $230.55 for one camera. As the message says, the estimate was $230
Screen Shot 2022-01-12 at 11.17.21 AM.png

• Informative
Reactions: laservet
Is that the full message? I'm interested in what they mean about the right side being in a lower light setting than the left. Has anyone noticed this?

FYI, in the UK the cameras are £110 ($150) to buy from Tesla and the installation is pretty easy to do. I'll cover it in the video I'm making.

FWIW I don't agree that the light leak problem is a 'characteristic'. It is at the very least an oversight. You'll see what I mean when I show you the video.

I've not seen or heard anything to suggest one camera is lighter or darker than the other at night, so I find that comment odd. I've got two Model 3s and both cameras on both cars look the same to me at night and all of them suffer from this repeater glare. I can see how it might be possible for the factory or a service centre to fit different revisions of cameras on the left and right. That's down to what the parts inventory is like at the time.

Mine don't have the glare (Built March 2021). Actually, the passenger repeater was replaced last week because it had some water intrusion and stopped working. They both have the same orange-ish hue but none of the glare that you guys are posting when the indicators are on.

So no programming required, and just replace the cameras? If that's the case, they look pretty simple to replace, so I think I'm at least going to replace my right-side camera, because it is useless at night.

After both have been replaced, don't forget to redo the calibration, that 20+ miles of driving to calibrate them again. The tolerances would need to be very tight for the cameras to be identical and match what you had before.

• Helpful
Reactions: israndy