Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Glass rear window and sedan/liftback discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think everyone is focused on no apparent change to the bottom edge of trunk lid in RCs. Could the top hinge have moved? Haven't seen any photos of RC with trunk open.
It doesn't look like the hinge moved either. The only thing I can think of is that they narrowed the lower lip somehow. I couldn't see that adding more than an inch or so of space, if that, but it would be something that wouldn't change the exterior dimensions at all.

I'm not sure you're understanding. Do you really plan to put more stuff in it? Usually the allure of more cargo space in a car is so you can fit bigger things in there. My point is that there's only so many small things one uses day to day, and not much reason to want to transport a LOT of small things around. Maybe moving boxes? As long as they're small enough. And if you're moving and don't have a vehicle that can transport large objects, you'll probably just get a Uhaul instead and put everything in there. What would you use the extra cargo space for?
I'd use extra cargo space to more easily carry the things I do carry on a regular basis. I'd be able to pack the trunk without having the really think about how everything is going to fit. And,in quite a few cases, I'd actually carry more stuff.

He said Model 3 would not be alien dreadnought status. He said that's what Model Y's production line is going to be.

He also said alien dreadnought would not be Model 3. It'll be Model Y.
If you're aware of all that then why, a few posts back did it sound like you were saying the lack of the alien dreadnought indicated Elon was lying?

Reactions: BluestarE3
The tweets Elon made were in response to opening size explicitly:

"@nickg_uk
but bigger trunk opening for Model 3? That's the most important thing.

@elonmusk
already taken care of"
Elon Musk on Twitter

I'm hesitant to trust Elon's tweets. He's got a solid lineup of "a swing and a miss" on Tesla-related tweets: The spaceship tweet, the deletion of the Model Y's Falcon Wing Doors tweet, the contradictory tweet about 60 kWh hardware upgrades, the AP2 parity mostly "coming in a week" tweet, Supercharger availability coming "soon" tweet = added 10 months later, etc.

Not saying he's always wrong in his tweets, but there's plenty of evidence that he sometimes misses the mark completely on Tesla-related tweets. But, it's much better than any other car CEO, hahaha.

I'm with you on a lot of your critiques of the 3.

But this is wrong. The trunk opening is not small. It will fit most items commonly place in trunks.
The trunk opening is slightly smaller than other cars, but for the sake of argument let's assume it's the same size. That's not really what I'm arguing here. I'm complaining that you only have a standard trunk opening on a car that will have the most cargo room in its class, meaning you can't fully take advantage of all that room. It's like an SUV having not having a hatch.

My analogy game isn't strong right now, but bear with me and let's look at a trashcan.

upload_2017-5-8_18-11-53.png

Such a small opening that only lets you throw away tiny stuff until it's full. But what if I wanted to throw away something big like the remains of that chair my fat ass smashed to pieces the other day? Won't fit in that hole, but it would fit in the can. Now if you take off the cover, everything fits nice and easily. You can take off the cover of a Model S, but not Model 3.

I know Model 3 is only a sedan (even thought it looks more like Model X), but so is Model S. Plus, I thought Tesla was supposed to be different. Practical. Cars of the future and all that. The trunk opening and storage capability for this car are not practical or futuristic. It really seems like an oversight.

Too much thought has gone into designing Model 3 as a taxi or people-mover. That's the reason for the tiny trunk right? Those guys in the back seat need that extra inch of head room! We're supposed to see an affordable sedan and affordable CUV, but we're getting something in between that tries to take the good and bad from each, but that's impossible so you just get a car full of compromises.

This car is trying to wear too many hats and ultimately won't satisfy the crowd that wants a sporty 3-series competitor or the crowd that wants a practical CUV. I don't really want a CUV but it sounds like Model Y is going to be one sweet-ass car.

The trunk opening is slightly smaller than other cars, but for the sake of argument let's assume it's the same size. That's not really what I'm arguing here. I'm complaining that you only have a standard trunk opening on a car that will have the most cargo room in its class, meaning you can't fully take advantage of all that room. It's like an SUV having not having a hatch.

My analogy game isn't strong right now, but bear with me and let's look at a trashcan.

View attachment 226127

Such a small opening that only lets you throw away tiny stuff until it's full. But what if I wanted to throw away something big like the remains of that chair my fat ass smashed to pieces the other day? Won't fit in that hole, but it would fit in the can. Now if you take off the cover, everything fits nice and easily. You can take off the cover of a Model S, but not Model 3.

I know Model 3 is only a sedan (even thought it looks more like Model X), but so is Model S. Plus, I thought Tesla was supposed to be different. Practical. Cars of the future and all that. The trunk opening and storage capability for this car are not practical or futuristic. It really seems like an oversight.

Too much thought has gone into designing Model 3 as a taxi or people-mover. That's the reason for the tiny trunk right? Those guys in the back seat need that extra inch of head room! We're supposed to see an affordable sedan and affordable CUV, but we're getting something in between that tries to take the good and bad from each, but that's impossible so you just get a car full of compromises.

This car is trying to wear too many hats and ultimately won't satisfy the crowd that wants a sporty 3-series competitor or the crowd that wants a practical CUV. I don't really want a CUV but it sounds like Model Y is going to be one sweet-ass car.

You are wrong about the trunk. It is not a small opening.

It takes a twin size mattress. Assembled, it measures 78" x 40" x 80". The longest pieces are about 75" long. I fit two of these in a Toyota Echo and drove home from SoCal to Vegas. :D

Don't underestimate the capaciousness of a Toyota Echo. And since I could go camping with my astronomy gear in an Echo, I anticipate having no problem doing so in the 3. Maybe I can even bring another person.

You are wrong about the trunk. It is not a small opening.

Compared to the S or X, it's pretty small. I think that was the point being made.

A trunk opening is small compared to a hatchback opening. Well, yes. But the Model 3 isn't any more compromised than any other sedan. It's simply a sedan and not a hatchback.

The 3 looks downright cavernous compared to my Mazda 3. Maybe you should compare to sedans in the same class rather than a car that costs twice as much.

Elon has said from the beginning that the 3 would be a smaller version of the S. However, the 3 is not a smaller version of anything, it is a completely different car. If he had simply said from the beginning that the 3 would be a mid-sized sedan and left the S out of the conversation, this would never have been an issue.

This is an IKEA loft bed frame:
View attachment 226149

It takes a twin size mattress. Assembled, it measures 78" x 40" x 80". The longest pieces are about 75" long. I fit two of these in a Toyota Echo and drove home from SoCal to Vegas. :D

I'm not quite sure what your point is. The deep trunk of the Model 3 will be ideal for Ikea stuff. I imagine you could fit two of them there as well.

I get that the Model 3 can't fit things that the Model S can, but what is your point..they are different car segments. If you want a hatchback, buy the S. If you can't afford the S, get a bolt. If you want something thats not fugly and better fits your lifestyle, get a ICE hatch that you like.

With 400K+ reservations, the car is plenty practical for many people. If there was something at this price point that looked as nice and was as functional, you wouldn't be on this forum, you'd be driving one.

I really don't get how this isn't a competitor to the 3-series:
0-60 speed - electric will win
safety - elon promised highest marks
storage - both are sedans so back storage should be about equal and model 3 has frunk too
spaciousness - that extra inch you mentioned will be appreciated by those in the back seat
price - should be on par with 3 series

View attachment 226127

Reactions: gene
When did he say that? He said it would be smaller than the S, I don't recall him ever saying it would be a smaller *VERSION* of the S.

Thank you kindly.

p.s. MODERATOR please move this and all non-sighting posts out of this thread.

I could find more examples, but the sycophants will just pretend they never heard or saw them either (as usual).

upload_2017-5-9_13-22-1.png

I could find more examples, but the sycophants will just pretend they never heard or saw them either (as usual).

View attachment 226206
If the point was that this is talking about Elon suggesting that Model 3 would have a hatchback (by comparing to Model S), I would point to the date (March 2017). That was well after when it was clear Model 3 would not be a hatchback. That quote is not from the "Elon has said from the beginning that the 3 would be a smaller version of the S." as you put it. In fact, Elon was specifically trying to dispel the myth that Model 3 would be better than (or equivalent to) Model S.

From same twitter storm:
"Only Model S will have the seven seater option, more cargo space, plus higher range, acceleration, two screens vs one, auto extend handles …"
Elon Musk on Twitter

He is trying to put out the idea there will be features that only Model S will have and Model 3 will not. The hatchback opening is just one item on that list.

As related to trunk:
@oakhaller
Can one fit a large cooler in the trunk of the Model 3? Have this issue with most sedans C class, A4 and 3 Series...
@elonmusk
I think so
Elon Musk on Twitter

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: tomas