Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

glass roof - production change (July 2018)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My VIN (59xxx) is Aug build and does not have the redish looking coating on the rear glass. Talked to service and they ordered a new one. Will replace in a week.
Absolutely no way.

Please post your service receipt.

AND when I went to the service center...they told me that if there were something indeed wrong with my non-red UV/IR glass....that I would get the same exact glass assigned to my VIN.

You’re brave. I would hold off on replacing till we figure this out.

Plus in the 19 pages. Some have reported that the new re ordered glass doesn’t have the red tint either. So dont risk it yet.

True, removing the factory seal and putting a new one on, just to find out it's the same, is not something I'd want my vehicle to go through.

Absolutely no way. Please post your service receipt.

Aside from the fact that we should be giving people the benefit of any doubt, I have no reason to doubt him. Service replaced the pano roof on my S when I complained about misalignment, and just before the 4 year warranty was up. I got the newer version that even had different screw holes for the roof rack. There's a lot of discretion with service and being polite helps.

True, removing the factory seal and putting a new one on, just to find out it's the same, is not something I'd want my vehicle to go through.

Aside from the fact that we should be giving people the benefit of any doubt, I have no reason to doubt him. Service replaced the pano roof on my S when I complained about misalignment, and just before the 4 year warranty was up. I got the newer version that even had different screw holes for the roof rack. There's a lot of discretion with service and being polite helps.

Nope. One thing is a defect ( in your case ). There is no defect here.

One person earlier in the thread already PM'd me and said that he was "mistaken" and that he didn't receive a service receipt and that Tesla wasn't replacing his glass.

One service center can't admit a defect and the others don't.

People get the benefit of any doubt when the cause is probable and no one has checked up on it yet. That's not the case here.

Reactions: untilcomplete
You’re brave. I would hold off on replacing till we figure this out.

Plus in the 19 pages. Some have reported that the new re ordered glass doesn’t have the red tint either. So dont risk it yet.
Yeah I’m still on the fence about replacing. I will ask more for sure as they contact me with the glass shipment. They also offered to send a mobile service to verify glass at home. I signed up for it.

One thing is a defect ( in your case ). There is no defect here.

People have things replaced under warranty that are not necessarily defective. Condensation in the rear tail lights is a good example. They have an air hole -- if water gets in that way, and not through the seal, they will dry out and be fine. But service will replace fine ones if you raise a concern. I know that for a fact.

One service center can't admit a defect and the others don't.

Yes they can. It happens all the time.

People get the benefit of any doubt when the cause is probable and no one has checked up on it yet. That's not the case here.

That's a tough standard to meet. I prefer to give the benefit of any doubt to people when things are possible, but perhaps unlikely. If things are "probable" -- being your standard -- there's really no need to give the benefit of any doubt. Plus, that's a hard way to be on people throughout your life.

Last edited:
People have things replaced under warranty that are not necessarily defective. Condensation in the rear tail lights is a good example. They have an air hole -- if water gets in that way, and not through the seal, they will dry out and be fine. But service will replace fine ones if you raise a concern. I know that for a fact.

Yes they can. It happens all the time.

That's a tough standard to meet. I prefer to give doubt to people when things are possible, but perhaps unlikely. If things are "probable" -- being your standard -- there's really no need to give the benefit of any doubt. Plus, that's a hard way to be on people throughout your life.

I have to disagree with all of the replies.

Condensation in the taillights is a defect. Its a problem. So....they should get replaced. So what you are saying is that they hermitically seal headlights and taillights from all sorts of moisture and condensation and then poke a hole in them?

So each service center holds its own truths? So there is no consistency? In something this large concerning labor price tags as well as material costs.....this is totally acceptable by Tesla to be arbitrary? This isn't a wiper blade.

Again and I say again. People these days are saying things like " the truth is really not the truth" and then some others say that everything is true.
Ill repeat myself again and this time Ill type slower. I DONT MIND giving anything a probability and usually I do, however WHEN something is proven....then probability goes away.

I don't let people slap me in the face and then try to convince me that they didn't. There is no probability there...and in the same way....there isn't here.

Last edited:
So what you are saying is that they hermitically seal headlights and taillights from all sorts of moisture and condensation and then poke a hole in them?

Yes, my wife just left with our 3 or I'd take a picture of it. It's really small -- if you take a look at yours you'll see a tiny hole in it (the rear tail lights -- I don't know about the headlights). When I got my 3 there was condensation. The guy from service I sent the pic to said he had power washed a bunch at the PNE (where we picked them all up -- and yikes!!! powerwashing a bunch of new Model 3s! bad!) -- but he said they were short staffed and had to get them out the door -- so even service was assisting -- and he reassured me it would dry with the air hole, and it did, but he would replace it if I wanted.

So each service center holds its own truths? So there is no consistency?

Too much of an extreme -- in your question -- to try to prove a point that doesn't exist. Again, it's called discretion and it applies to pretty much everything in life. You attract more with honey than you know what.

Last edited:
Reactions: spesler
Yes, my wife just left with our 3 or I'd take a picture of it. It's really small -- if you take a look at yours you'll see a tiny hole in it. When I got my 3 there was condensation. The guy from service I sent the pic to said he had power washed a bunch at the PNE (where we picked them all up -- and yikes!!! powerwashing a bunch of new Model 3s! bad!) -- but he said they were short staffed and had to get them out the door -- so even service was assisting -- and he reassured me it would dry, and it did, but he would replace it if I wanted.

Too much of an extreme -- in your question -- to try to prove a point that doesn't exist. Again, it's called discretion and it applies to pretty much everything in life. You attract more with honey than you know what.

If you have condensation in a light.....That's a defect. Period. I believe you are taking in your car to get your light repaired/fixed.....or else you would simply accept the hole in the light as the cause....and that the water in the light is ok. There is nothing subjective about it....its a broken light.

My question isn't extreme at all. If each service center can replace whatever they want and not replace whatever they want....then each service center is operating on its own. Didn't you say that happens all of the time?

If you have condensation in a light.....That's a defect. Period. I believe you are taking in your car to get your light repaired/fixed.....or else you would simply accept the hole in the light as the cause....and that the water in the light is ok. There is nothing subjective about it.

You really should not talk to people in such an accusatory tone. It's no wonder you don't think service bends over backwards for some people. It's difficult to just communicate with you.

But to answer: I don't take my vehicle in for a tail light. Mobile comes to me. They came to my office to replace the washer pump on my S and for the tail light condensation and glove box issues on my 3. I had already sent him this pic:

GetAttachmentThumbnail

When he arrived to do the work, it had dried out completely. But he had the part and said he would replace it even though it was fine. I said I have 4 years, it's fine, and if it comes back I will replace it. He showed me the air hole and how it had dried out itself.

Did you even look to see the air hole on your car? You can easily see it.

You really should not talk to people in such an accusatory tone.

I don't take my vehicle in for a tail light. Mobile comes to me. They came to my office to replace the washer pump on my S and for the tail light condensation and glove box issues on my 3. I had already sent him this pic:

GetAttachmentThumbnail

When he arrived to do the work, it had dried out completely. But he had the part and said he would replace it even though it was fine. I said I have 4 years, it's fine, and if it comes back I will replace it. He showed me the air hole and how it had dried out itself.

Ok...so when Mobile came to you.....they came to you because of a defect.....not because you just wanted your light changed. It was broken and we can all see that. I have absolutely no problem with them coming out to you or if you went in . Water was inside. Tesla should have replaced/fixed it because its not how the light should have been.

Now with this glass. Is a service center is able to say "yes the glass is defective" and another one say "its not defective".?

Now with this glass. Is a service center is able to say "yes the glass is defective" and another one say "its not defective".?

You act like they all know. They don't. I can go to them and say I don't like something, so they order a new part and replace it, to please the customer, regardless of any actual defect. You say that doesn't happen. I say it does.

You do not need to prove something is defective to have it replaced. That was the point of the tail light issue. You said:

Condensation in the taillights is a defect. Its a problem. So....they should get replaced. So what you are saying is that they hermitically seal headlights and taillights from all sorts of moisture and condensation and then poke a hole in them?

I prove you wrong, then you move the goal posts.

But even to where you move those posts, I can easily see one service center hearing a complaint about the glass, deciding the best thing to keep the customer happy is to replace it -- and I can equally see another service center refusing it. I can also see that the way a problem, or even non-problem, is presented often has a lot do with resolutions that are offered, or declined to be offered.

Again, it comes down to discretion. I've had out of warranty items replaced under warranty due to discretion. The door actuators on my 2008 Tahoe are a good example. They were made stock with plastic parts, and broke easily. I had a couple replaced after the 4 year warranty because I nicely complained that the new part were made of steel and I would sure prefer that after the plastic ones broke. It showed as courtesy repair on my invoice.

You act like they all know. They don't. I can go to them and say I don't like something, so they order a new part and replace it, to please the customer, regardless of any actual defect. You say that doesn't happen. I say it does.

You do not need to prove something is defective to have it replaced. That was the point of the tail light issue. You said:

I prove you wrong, then you move the goal posts.

But even to where you move those posts, I can easily see one service center hearing a complaint about the glass, deciding the best thing to keep the customer happy is to replace it -- and I can equally see another service center refusing it. I can also see that the way a problem, or even non-problem, is presented often has a lot do with resolutions that are offered, or declined to be offered.

Again, it comes down to discretion. I've had out of warranty items replaced under warranty due to discretion. The door actuators on my 2008 Tahoe are a good example. They were replaced with plastic parts, and broke easily. I had a couple replaced after the 4 year warranty because I nicely complained that the new part was steel and would sure prefer it. It showed as courtesy repair on my invoice.
There is no proof of me being wrong at all.

Your light was defective.....so they replaced it. Period. They didn't do it just to please you...because you didn't like the color of it.....or because its a different color than everyone elses.

I'm not moving posts....I'm conforming to whatever you want to talk about. Hmmm sounds like what you criticize me for not doing.

Anyway....

The glass is NOT defective. A service center can't authorize thousands of dollars to be spent just because someone doesn't like the color of their window.
If the window is broken or defective....then yes, however these windows aren't defective or broken.

Right now....Im going to wait for the service center repair receipts to start flowing to this thread.

Thanks for the conversation.

There is no proof of me being wrong at all.

Your light was defective.....so they replaced it. Period. They didn't do it just to please you...because you didn't like the color of it.....or because its a different color than everyone elses.

I'm not moving posts....I'm conforming to whatever you want to talk about. Hmmm sounds like what you criticize me for not doing.

Anyway....

The glass is NOT defective. A service center can't authorize thousands of dollars to be spent just because someone doesn't like the color of their window.
If the window is broken or defective....then yes, however these windows aren't defective or broken.

Right now....Im going to wait for the service center repair receipts to start flowing to this thread.

Thanks for the conversation.

I agree... none matching glass isn’t a defect... why? Cause like you said... it works as it should.

However non matching glass is a QUALITY CONTROL ISSUE!!! That needs to be resolved.

Perfect analogy is when Jeep wranglers where coming off the assembly line with a black plastic fender on one side and a painted fender on the other side. Yes it works as a fender, keeps rocks and mud from getting all over the side of the Jeep... but it didn’t match and Jeep replaced them.

My glass is matching on mine, but I stand by my fellow Tesla enthusiast... if they want their glass to match then Tesla should make it so or officially announce a legit reason as to why they did the production change if the matching glass is never going to be available.

Where is the love people? Sometimes we are all right, wrong or just need to disagree. It seems most of us are holding these vehicles to an unrealistic standard. Understand it is an expensive car but it is getting crazy - a defect is now when they change suppliers because it looks different in the rain without any knowledge of the technology? #somethingbettertodo?

4D25FCEA-2CC5-450F-B7FF-99C7AB8A438B.jpeg
This is where you are wrong. If no Tesla, Porsche is happy to make gas engine cars for the next 100 years and everyone knows that.

If Chevy wants to really stick it to Tesla, why don't they eat some losses and shove out Bolts for $20K until Tesla is dead? They can't - because they have to answer to $GM stakeholders. GM already loses $9,500 per Bolt and they don't want to lose anymore. They never wanted to make the Bolt to begin with.

Not all of us want our Tesla's to be worthless, and some of us want future Tesla's to play with.

Correcting defects sure.. I have no problem with that. Finding problems where none exist like "glass gate" is to the point of absurdity.

And I am ok with not having a Taycan as a choice... I’ll just get a gas manual 911t instead for weekends and keep buying used Chevy Spark EV’s and run them to the ground for m-f commuting.

That being said, back to my original point... Tesla needs to step up their quality control. That means glass has to match, paint has to have no defects, panels need to line up. They have everything else to be successful... forward thinking designs, the range, tons of tech, and the supercharger network.

You know what every neighbor or random person asks me after complementing my Model 3? “Wow great car... must be a dream to own, but did they ever figure out their build issues?” So I show them mine... it’s practically perfect except for a slight rear bumper color miss match... but I’m just lucky with mine, I won the lottery when it came to pick of the litter. Otoh my other friends that have model 3’s they have the complete opposite experience as far as defects.

The majority of people that either have a model 3 or are thinking of buying one are not on this or any other Tesla forum. They are coming from Prius, civics, and accords and expect their experience to be flawless. I’ll admit that those same potential customers probably will put their hov stickers on completely crooked in the wrong spots, curb their wheels, and scuff their bumpers, but still they are buying a car held to a higher standard by us enthusiast that are on these forums.

If getting glass to match is what it takes... then so be it... it’s the details that count!!! Getting the small details right will help Tesla rule the automotive world.

And like I said it’s not a defect in the glass... it’s an aesthetic detail that should match... it’s like the Jeeps with mismatched fenders.

Talked to the Tesla Factory Store employee and he is very interested in this thread as he waits for his. Good place to supercharge and check on the online merchandise in person. Also asked if walk on tours are an option and they said no , by appointment only. The August build P3D on display is also missing the IR.
A0A413EB-4F9F-4521-A196-029E687BA26D.jpeg
53850A3E-E197-4B5B-8E86-4EACC265B93B.jpeg
D4223C5A-46AC-4EB9-9C6B-1F755FF94545.jpeg

I agree... none matching glass isn’t a defect... why? Cause like you said... it works as it should.

However non matching glass is a QUALITY CONTROL ISSUE!!! That needs to be resolved.

Perfect analogy is when Jeep wranglers where coming off the assembly line with a black plastic fender on one side and a painted fender on the other side. Yes it works as a fender, keeps rocks and mud from getting all over the side of the Jeep... but it didn’t match and Jeep replaced them.

My glass is matching on mine, but I stand by my fellow Tesla enthusiast... if they want their glass to match then Tesla should make it so or officially announce a legit reason as to why they did the production change if the matching glass is never going to be available.

At least we have moved from no EV/IR protection to matching.

Concerning matching...who is to say what matching is?

What about the front glass? Wouldn't there be someone saying that the front glass should match?
What about the side glass? There has already been someone in this thread asking about those not matching.

Should Tesla just re-do anything anybody wants at Tesla's expense because the person thinks it doesn't match?

I'm just so tired of people wanting Tesla to pay for everything.....non-defects and all.

At least we have moved from no EV/IR protection to matching.

Concerning matching...who is to say what matching is?

What about the front glass? Wouldn't there be someone saying that the front glass should match?
What about the side glass? There has already been someone in this thread asking about those not matching.

Should Tesla just re-do anything anybody wants at Tesla's expense because the person thinks it doesn't match?

I'm just so tired of people wanting Tesla to pay for everything.....non-defects and all.

I think people just want to know what they're getting, this post seems unhinged

Reactions: CuriousM3