Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Glitch Allows Nag to be Turned Off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No. My stance is when the government says stop or I'm going to arrest you. I will stop even if I think the government is wrong. Unless I have a really compelling reason - and selling a few thousand widgets at a hundred bucks a pop is not that compelling.

This is not an question of being afraid the government might object. The government did object and told them they had to stop.

This post demonstrates a clear and obvious misunderstanding of how laws, freedom as a US citizen breaking no laws and how our "government" works at a fundamental level.

Our "government" will "tell us to stop doing something" through specific and concrete words written as laws. These don't exist. A cop can't arrest you because he pulled you over and you had one any more than someone who uses a colorful steering wheel cover. There are no laws against the ownership or use of these devices.

Saying these devices are "illegal" is simply not true.

...They determined that seeking to combat the continued marketing of said product in a certain manner in court wouldn't yield fruit worthy of the investment on the front end...

You got it correctly: There's a choice in fighting for your product as "legal" or not.

The reason the product is still "illegal" might not be because it is actually "illegal" in real life (there could be a mistake in the accusation) but like you said: because company does not want to fight to reverse that status.

But that's exactly how the legal system works.

I have a choice to fight the accusation or not fighting it.

If I am accused of murderer and I am innocent (mistaken identity, GPS, DNA would clear me...) but I don't want to fight it and let the government win in court, then in the eye of the legal world I am guilty regardless that is faulty in the reality of facts.

Last edited:
Please don't bypass the nag/safety feature. Get into the practice of keeping one hand loosely on the wheel to feel what the car is doing.

I use AP for 80% of my 100km (~60mile) daily drive and keep one hand on it. I have to intervene at least once a day (sometimes more) to prevent the car from making a mistake.

Using one hand is easy to do and I can feel what the car intends to do much better. I also pay more attention to traffic around me without the worry of easy stuff (I.e. Braking/Accelerating/Steering). Truthfully the car is safer using this method and I'm minimizing risk to others.

You got it correctly: There's a choice in fighting for your product as "legal" or not.

The reason the product is still "illegal" might not be because it is actually "illegal" in real life (there could be a mistake in the accusation) but like you said: because company does not want to fight to reverse that status.

But that's exactly how the legal system works.

I have a choice to fight the accusation or not fighting it.

If I am accused of murderer and I am innocent (mistaken identity, GPS, DNA would clear me...) but I don't want to fight it and let the government win in court, then in the eye of the legal world I am guilty regardless that is faulty in the reality of facts.
Now you don't even know what you're talking about. You cannot be charged with anything that doesn't have an official "charge" to be charged with. In other words you can't be charged with something that isn't against the law. If I were you I would try to get a refund on your law school fees.

Some people watch WAY too much TV.

Reactions: dhrivnak
That's not how laws work. They determined that seeking to combat the continued marketing of said product in a certain manner in court wouldn't yield fruit worthy of the investment on the front end. There are NO laws at the state or Federal level that specifically making the possession or use of one of these devices criminal.

The statement was made that these devices are illegal. They are not.
potato potato

It's a question.

To be clear, I'm not doubting that this is working for you. And I don't have a horse in the safety issue debate. What I'm wondering about is whether this is a glitch that is working for everyone with 40.4, or something specific to your car. There are tens of thousands of cars out there with 2020.40.4 installed currently, let's hear from some other people whether it works for them.

Last edited:
It's a question.

To be clear, I'm not doubting that this is working for you. And I don't have a horse in the safety issue debate. What I'm wondering about is whether this is a glitch that is working for everyone with 40.4, or something specific to your car. There are tens of thousands of cars out there with 2020.40.4 installed currently, let's hear from some other people whether it works for them.

It's a really stupid question. Why would my car be different?

To be clear, those saying it doesn't work arent on 40.4. I've only posted this several hours ago, what makes you think it would be widely reported?

I drove home on AP tonight (14 mi) with zero nag, and I will film my entire drive to work tomorrow just for you.

Why would my car be different?
Leaving aside the stupid part, because quite often certain cars have unique software glitches like this, that only happen to them, or only a small handful of cars. I'm just curious if this glitch is available across the board to everyone with 2020.40.4.

To be clear, those saying it doesn't work arent on 40.4. I've only posted this several hours ago, what makes you think it would be widely reported?
Because as of today 40.4 has been widely available and installed in a large percentage of the fleet for 10 days. That's tens of thousands of cars. While it's slightly possible that you're the only one that's discovered this, it's statistically unlikely. But now that you've put it out there, surely others on 40.4 have tried it and confirm it working or not - have you seen any of this in the comments to your video or elsewhere?

I drove home on AP tonight (14 mi) with zero nag, and I will film my entire drive to work tomorrow just for you.
Please don't.

I don't think the counter weight hack works anymore. I 3d printed one, used weights (the type you stick on a truck tire to balance them) and after putting in way more than should be needed, it still didn't allow hands free. It might seem like it work initially, but after a few miles it will start to nag again. So I kept adding more to the outside of the enclosure, till the weight actually was hurting my ability to turn the car easily.

I think the torque sensing not only looks for torque, it now looks for it to vary over time. If the weight sensed is static, it will start to nag again.

Note: I didn't plan to use it to fall asleep. I keep my hand on the wheel, but it's setup in such a way that I can't hold the wheel near the bottom-center that is comfortable to me. So that was my goal, just enough to help not nag when my hands are on the wheel. And it works fine for that. But you can't do hands-free with the hack from what I've seen. Which is a good thing.

I ended up tossing it in the trash because I didn't want to scratch my steering wheel.

Counterweight still works fine. Used it the other day.

It's a question.

• Funny
Reactions: Cheburashka