Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GM’s new Ultra Cruise: Hands-free driving on all paved roads in US/Canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apologies for my earlier response--upon rereading it read a little bit offensive.

Many of these things have been rehashed here and there, but there are a few reasons why GM's claim of having such functionality in 2 years is complete nonsense:

1. Supercruise requires intense 3D mapping of an entire route. Aside from the incredible cost and man-hour effort needed to 3D map and groom such vast expanses of roadway, there are also the issues of construction areas which dramatically change the roadway...anytime construction pops up (for example on an interstate where a lane is temporarily routed to an oncoming traffic lane), these areas need to be updated/maintained. Doing this for just interstates is already a costly and time-intensive task. Doing it for all paved roadways in just the U.S.? Extremely time-intensive, extremely expensive. What happens in the time after a construction project starts and GM comes out to map that section of the roadway? Do you think a construction project is going to wait for GM to come out and map their roadway changes?

2. Such a 3D map data for the US as described in (1) above would take a LOT of data. No way it can be stored onboard the vehicle. So it would have to be continually downloaded to the car as the vehicle drives around. The bandwidth needed to continually download such a high-definition map, and the cost, would be prohibitively expensive. Add this cost on top of an expensive sensor suite and lots of processing hardware. Are you ready to buy a $200,000 Chevy Impala?

3. No matter how many lidars, radars and HD radars you have in your system, you still need a fully-developed neural network for vision. Some examples why:
  1. Radar and lidar can't read signs. Yes, you could put all known signs in your mapping data. But signs change all the time. New stop signs get added and removed. Speed limits change. Detour signs get temporarily added for construction zones. New "No Turn on Red" signs get added/removed by municipalities all over the country. All Radar/Lidar sees is a flat metal plane. When a construction company puts up a detour sign, the vehicle MUST be able to read and interpret that sign with vision.

2. Lidar and radar can't read stoplights, temporary lit signs (such as temporary speed zones/school zones...speed limit xxx when flashing, etc).

3. Lidar and radar have limited ability to interpret hand signals or other visual cues, whereas vision has already demonstrated the ability to do this.
OK, so a vision-based neural network system is required. How do you develop it? You need several things to develop a good NN system:

a. Tons, and tons, and tons, and tons of data. How do you gather this data? GM does not have a connected fleet capable of sending images/video back to them for processing and inputting into a neural network. They have Cruise, but Cruise is a relatively small outfit and is only capable of collecting limited data in a very small geographic area.

b. The ability to cultivate the RIGHT kind of data. You can't just throw random data at it and expect it to get better. So you need to find data that addresses scenarios you're trying to solve. How does GM request specific examples of video/imagery from their fleet? They can't.

c. Tons of grooming. The data you feed into the network for training needs to be cultivated and tagged (automatically if possible for much higher productivity, as Tesla is developing with Dojo).

d. Tons of processing power to solve the NN iteratively. Does GM have supercomputers processing their networks, or an auto-labelling system like Tesla has been working on for years? Tesla has among the top 10 or 20 (depending on how you measure it) supercomputer clusters in the world. What have you heard about GM's supercomputer? (That's right, they don't have one).

There are more reasons, but this will give you a good start to be skeptical.

You are right in that Elon was overly-optimistic on the FSD timeline. I said in 2014 on this very forum (my initial post is still searchable) that it would probably take about 10 years to develop level 5 autonomy, which would bring us to 2024. Looks like my estimate is going to be maybe a year or two or three too soon, but in the ballpark.

So while you are correct that Elon thought FSD progress would be way faster than it has been, I think it's also fair to say that Tesla (and perhaps Mobileye--although their data engine is less capable) are the only people working on a true scalable system. I'm still confident Tesla will get there first, but it will take a few more years.
I agree wholeheartedly. Tesla and SpaceX. These two companies have already crossed two major barriers in two different industries: electric cars and re-usable rockets.

There is no argument. It’s not even close.

Exactly. But the history on autonomous driving says everyone is wrong, so don't trust anyone.

Coming back on topic - what I really want to know is - is GM taking legal responsibility for city driving ?!?

That would indeed be a massive difference over Tesla and a "game changer".

This is why I hate these stupid "journalists" who act like stenographers. Absolute no relevant questions - just repeating marketing press releases dumbly. Would really like to have a AMA with Cruise/GM guys on this.
Not sure but I doubt it. Driver is likely going to be responsible for monitoring and intervening as necessary. Probably one reason they repeatedly emphasize that it’s L2 driver assistance tech.

• Informative
Reactions: EVNow
FWIW, my experience using NOA on freeways for 3 years, and now "FSD Beta" for a couple of months, tells me why this very difficult task is always underestimated initially. Equating Elon Musks's over-optimistic time-table with GMs promises is just wrong. Sad that it comes with various forms of calling Musk a fraud.

I use NOA on freeways all the time, and the occasional "well-advised" intervention doesn't diminish its value for me. I consider Freeway NOA largely solved by Tesla. Level 5 is like Achilles and the tortoise, ever closer but never quite there. So what? An experienced user derives great benefit from NOA. The amount of work/time, and the amount of training data that it has taken to get here is staggering. You know it if you've been through all the revisions, and know something about machine control software.

Now, experiencing the (impressive) state and the staggering challenges of the Beta FSD, which is, after all, just aiming for the mere "self driving on all paved roads" that GM promises, tells me Tesla is so far ahead that only a govt financed/staffed Chinese effort can come close. IMHO, GM doing anything comparable on its 2023 cars is as implausible as "GM is leading the world in Electric Vehicles".

Last edited:
FWIW, my experience using NOA on freeways for 3 years, and now "FSD Beta" for a couple of months, tells me why this very difficult task is always underestimated initially. Equating Elon Musks's over-optimistic time-table with GMs promises is just wrong. Sad that it comes with various forms of calling Musk a fraud.

I use NOA on freeways all the time, and the occasional "well-advised" intervention doesn't diminish its value for me. I consider Freeway NOA largely solved by Tesla. Level 5 is like Achilles and the tortoise, ever closer but never quite there. So what? An experienced user derives great benefit from NOA. The amount of work/time, and the amount of training data that it has taken to get here is staggering. You know it if you've been through all the revisions, and know something about machine control software.

Now, experiencing the (impressive) state and the staggering challenges of the Beta FSD, which is, after all, just aiming for the mere "self driving on all paved roads" that GM promises, tells me Tesla is so far ahead that only a govt financed/staffed Chinese effort can come close. IMHO, GM doing anything comparable on its 2023 cars is as implausible as "GM is leading the world in Electric Vehicles".

I haven’t even been following FSD progress. Too much disappointment over the years so I gave up. How does it do now? Is it close to finished including on city streets? Is Tesla planning on using driver monitoring? Would be more comfortable to use without the sterering wheel nags.

I haven’t even been following FSD progress. Too much disappointment over the years so I gave up. How does it do now? Is it close to finished including on city streets? Is Tesla planning on using driver monitoring? Would be more comfortable to use without the sterering wheel nags.

FSD Beta Early Access - is still early. I expect general release in 2 years. About the time Ultra Cruise is promised.

FSD Beta Early Access - is still early. I expect general release in 2 years. About the time Ultra Cruise is promised.

When you say general release in 2 years, you mean you think it will be fully ready and functional by then? That would be nice. 2 years isn’t too far away and other than GM I don’t know anyone promising anything similar in that timeframe. Ford is only just launching BlueCruise. Who knows when they will get to PurpleCruise 🤷‍♂️

When you say general release in 2 years, you mean you think it will be fully ready and functional by then? That would be nice. 2 years isn’t too far away and other than GM I don’t know anyone promising anything similar in that timeframe. Ford is only just launching BlueCruise. Who knows when they will get to PurpleCruise 🤷‍♂️
No - I think it will be still beta - like highway NOA.

Not hands free and Tesla will ask you to keep your hands on the wheel.

No - I think it will be still beta - like highway NOA.

Not hands free and Tesla will ask you to keep your hands on the wheel.

I think that applies across the board, we will be keeping hands on wheel or eyes on road for the next few years whether it’s FSD or Ultra Cruise.

It NOA city streets is functional like highway NOA (which I’m assuming is safe and functional by now), that would be good enough. These are only L2 after all.

I think it will be similar to SuperCruise in that you will be notified and need to take over when it can’t function, not necessarily make inputs while it is active (green light on wheel).
So, they monitor you using the camera to make sure you are paying attention ? So, I guess similar to NOA in intent ...

If Cruise can pull it off and make it work as widely and as well as FSD Beta would do in 2 years - without the Big Data Tesla has, that would mean you really don't need that much data for decent city driving. Would be fascinating to watch how this turns out.

Reactions: stcptl

Google says it is well on its way to launching self-driving cars within five years. Because if they don't, Google director Chris Urmson's son will have to navigate the roads himself—and we can't have that.During this week's TED conference in Vancouver, Urmson told attendees that his eldest son, currently 11, is set to take his driver's test in a scant four-and-a-half years."My team are committed to making sure that doesn't happen," he joked.
Funny how other companies can underestimate the L5 timeline and not get called to task, but when Elon does it...

I typed out a rather long rant here, but decided to delete it all. No reason to add additional stirring to this self-stirring pot! ;)

Funny how other companies can underestimate the L5 timeline and not get called to task, but when Elon does it...

I typed out a rather long rant here, but decided to delete it all. No reason to add additional stirring to this self-stirring pot! ;)

Except other companies are not actually selling FSD or level 5 capable hardware before it exists and without knowing when we’ll get there.

Reactions: Phlier
Except other companies are not actually selling FSD or level 5 capable hardware before it exists and without knowing when we’ll get there.
That is a very valid point.

I purchased FSD as a way to support the project, but I can certainly understand those that didn't.... they expected a working product by the timelines shown on the car configurator page at the time they purchased the vehicle.

Reactions: alexgr
Technically Navigate on Autopilot and other features under the FSD umbrella are still "beta" too, yet it's available to everyone and works well.

I think practical general availability is much closer. My experience with 10.5 in routine suburban driving is really, really positive. I've seen no real safety issues at all, just some hysteresis in the control inputs and a general "jerky" feel that they can tune out trivially (just low-pass the inputs by 50-100ms or so) once they know it's not making bad macro decisions.

An official "end of beta" might indeed take longer, because once they start relaxing the driver supervision requirements then it becomes time to talking regulatory process, and that's not going to be fast.

But my guess is that by mid-2022 everyone with a Tesla will have a car that drives them around routinely. Really, it's that close.

Reactions: Yelobird and Phlier
Why?

Not trying to be a smart alec here, I'd really like to know why you'd trust Waymo more than Elon?

1. Because Elon has been repeatedly wrong on everything self driving for years and some of the decisions seem outright idiotic such as allowing AP1 cars without side cameras/radars to auto lane change using ultrasonics, selling FSD before we even know when/if it will be ready, upgrading sensors/hardware multiple times after claiming it was L5 capable etc. He is the boy who cried wolf. And I no longer have faith in his ability to accurately assess FSD requirements and timeframes.

2. Because the most objective apples to apples measure I’ve come across was the disengagement data but again I don’t follow this stuff too closely. And I believe Waymo was far ahead in that.

3. Overlooking basics such as inclusion of sensor/camera cleaners/heaters as if they will never get blocked/covered.

4. All the issues and problems, many potentially dangerous, Autopilot and FSD have had over the years. These are available for consumer to purchase and therefore should have bees functional enough so as not to risk people’s safety. Not to mention this kind of sets back progress on autonomy in the real world.

5. Everyone else including MobilEye is relying on multiple sensors and disagrees strongly with Teslas approach. I can envision scenarios where cameras can lose visibility even if momentarily but radar/LiDAR could augment it enough to make it workable and avoid dangerous situations. Who should I believe? Elon who has already been so wrong, or, everyone else. They’ve also been wrong but not to the same extent, especially with regard to selling FSD when it clearly wasn’t.

Reactions: KArnold and Phlier