Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GM’s new Ultra Cruise: Hands-free driving on all paved roads in US/Canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Technically Navigate on Autopilot and other features under the FSD umbrella are still "beta" too, yet it's available to everyone and works well.

I think practical general availability is much closer. My experience with 10.5 in routine suburban driving is really, really positive. I've seen no real safety issues at all, just some hysteresis in the control inputs and a general "jerky" feel that they can tune out trivially (just low-pass the inputs by 50-100ms or so) once they know it's not making bad macro decisions.

An official "end of beta" might indeed take longer, because once they start relaxing the driver supervision requirements then it becomes time to talking regulatory process, and that's not going to be fast.

But my guess is that by mid-2022 everyone with a Tesla will have a car that drives them around routinely. Really, it's that close.
Fully agree and that’s been my assessment using 10.5 so far. Perfect no but pretty darn close. Much closer then anyone just now getting into this technology. As for the beta call out, fully agree. They will keep that definition for a Long time while many are trying to fault the system. A safety net of sorts.

• Disagree
Reactions: KArnold and Phlier
My crystal ball, which is notoriously murky, says...

Elon is always a few moves ahead of everyone else. He has orchestrated this plan of releasing Beta FSD on a wider basis because Tesla is rapidly approaching the base of the exponential improvement curve. Dojo (and the other tools needed) to rapidly improve the capabilities of FSD are darn near ready to go.

So now that the testing group has grown to its current level, Tesla has accomplished a couple of things: 1. It's now well known how good/awful FSD Beta is in its current state. 2. They have a fleet setup to "feed me, Seymore" when Dojo is ready to start crunching data. 3. It gives them time to gather, label, and QC a huge amount of data to get Dojo off to a flying start.

We're going to see another few months of underwhelming releases. But then, we'll start to see very noticeable improvements with every bi-weekly release as Dojo starts throwing its muscle at the problem. We'll also see a lot of hard coded things being switched over to decision based.

Assuming that Dojo comes online in the spring of '22, by this time next year the FSD Beta we'll be testing won't even seem like the same software we're currently running; we'll be well along the exponential improvement curve. The rate of improvement will even be good enough for Gordon Johnson to buy Tesla stock... OK, maybe not to that extreme. ;)

We will be looking back at October of '21 saying, "well played, Elon.. well played."

At this point, my crystal ball becomes too murky to read.

Prior to watching the AI Day presentation, my crystal ball said "we're at least five years out." It has since changed its tune to L3 by the end of next year.

Regardless of whether I'm right or wrong, it's going to be one hell of a fun ride to be on.

And if you still haven't watched the AI Day presentation, GO WATCH IT!!! Yeah, it's a bit over three hours long. Eat that elephant in small bites if you have to, but eat that elephant! So much of the stuff the nay sayers are saying on this board is covered in depth in the AI Day presentation. And it's presented in a clear cut, "here's your answer" format; no hand wavy crap.

Reactions: Yelobird
Assuming that Dojo comes online in the spring of '22, by this time next year the FSD Beta we'll be testing won't even seem like the same software we're currently running; we'll be well along the exponential improvement curve. The rate of improvement will even be good enough for Gordon Johnson to buy Tesla stock... OK, maybe not to that extreme. ;)
LOL. The reason Gordon will never have a Buy on TSLA is that the stock will always be ahead of him.

BTW, when they start using DoJo, we'll be back to square one with all the regressions like in VO vs radar ;)

As I said, an optimistic estimate is 2 years for GA.

Reactions: Twiglett and Phlier
1. Because Elon has been repeatedly wrong on everything self driving for years and some of the decisions seem outright idiotic such as allowing AP1 cars without side cameras/radars to auto lane change using ultrasonics, selling FSD before we even know when/if it will be ready, upgrading sensors/hardware multiple times after claiming it was L5 capable etc. He is the boy who cried wolf. And I no longer have faith in his ability to accurately assess FSD requirements and timeframes.

2. Because the most objective apples to apples measure I’ve come across was the disengagement data but again I don’t follow this stuff too closely. And I believe Waymo was far ahead in that.

3. Overlooking basics such as inclusion of sensor/camera cleaners/heaters as if they will never get blocked/covered.

4. All the issues and problems, many potentially dangerous, Autopilot and FSD have had over the years. These are available for consumer to purchase and therefore should have bees functional enough so as not to risk people’s safety. Not to mention this kind of sets back progress on autonomy in the real world.

5. Everyone else including MobilEye is relying on multiple sensors and disagrees strongly with Teslas approach. I can envision scenarios where cameras can lose visibility even if momentarily but radar/LiDAR could augment it enough to make it workable and avoid dangerous situations. Who should I believe? Elon who has already been so wrong, or, everyone else. They’ve also been wrong but not to the same extent, especially with regard to selling FSD when it clearly wasn’t.
Clear and concise... well done.

On a certain level, I even agree with some of the points you've made.

What I do kinda take issue with is number 5. I just don't think that, as lay people, we have a good enough understanding of the abilities and limitations of the various sensor options to really be able to form a valid opinion. After all, Elon said that SpaceX does use lidar to dock Dragon with the ISS; it's very good at what it can do, but it does have its limitations... just as all sensors do.

At one point, one of the guys at Tesla was asked why they were removing radar. After explaining it on a technical level, he also explained it for dummies like me; "using radar for this problem is like trying to see with your ears."

But yes, no matter what sensor(s) ends up being the Holy Grail for FSD, some way of keeping it/them clear, clean, and unobstructed truly seems like a no-brainer.

Reactions: stcptl
Why?

Not trying to be a smart alec here, I'd really like to know why you'd trust Waymo more than Elon?

1. Because Elon has been repeatedly wrong on everything self driving for years and some of the decisions seem outright idiotic such as allowing AP1 cars without side cameras/radars to auto lane change using ultrasonics, selling FSD before we even know when/if it will be ready, upgrading sensors/hardware multiple times after claiming it was L5 capable etc. He is the boy who cried wolf. And I no longer have faith in his ability to accurately assess FSD requirements and timeframes.

The reason you think Elon was the only one overhyping autonomy is because of skewed media coverage. If you dig, you will see that the entities you purport to trust more, like Waymo and plenty others, also underestimated the time required to achieve autonomy.

Also, what you might not realize is that Waymo's strategy for going with multiple high-cost sensors means very large initial capital expenses, and it's unclear if demand for their services can cover those expenses. So interestingly, they may be closer to autonomy, but their approach may not be economically feasible.

Subjectively, I like Tesla's pure vision, heavy AI methodology because they are pushing AI tech forward, which will have way more applications than just AVs.

At one point, one of the guys at Tesla was asked why they were removing radar. After explaining it on a technical level, he also explained it for dummies like me; "using radar for this problem is like trying to see with your ears."

Haha that’s so accurate. Radar is like seeing with your ears! To that I would have responded, but sometimes when you can’t see something approaching, perhaps your view is momentarily blocked, you CAN hear it approaching, and you know to run away. Or hit the brakes ;)

Reactions: Phlier
The reason you think Elon was the only one overhyping autonomy is because of skewed media coverage. If you dig, you will see that the entities you purport to trust more, like Waymo and plenty others, also underestimated the time required to achieve autonomy.

Also, what you might not realize is that Waymo's strategy for going with multiple high-cost sensors means very large initial capital expenses, and it's unclear if demand for their services can cover those expenses. So interestingly, they may be closer to autonomy, but their approach may not be economically feasible.

Subjectively, I like Tesla's pure vision, heavy AI methodology because they are pushing AI tech forward, which will have way more applications than just AVs.

People made inaccurate predictions. No one was foolish enough to sell it in advance by the millions.

Cost must have come down enough that radar is ubiquitous and LiDAR is starting to appear on production vehicles.

Funny how other companies can underestimate the L5 timeline and not get called to task, but when Elon does it...

I typed out a rather long rant here, but decided to delete it all. No reason to add additional stirring to this self-stirring pot! ;)
IMHO the correct way to look at all this is to ignore every single timeline prediction from all companies. This is all trail-blazing technology, regardless of the arguments over radar vs lidar vs cameras, or L2 vs L5 or L-anything. No-one has a CLUE how long it will take, or which technology stack or approach will yield the best results (or any at all) long-term.

But watching (and taking part) in it happening is damn exciting as far as I am concerned.

Reactions: Hbrink
IMHO the correct way to look at all this is to ignore every single timeline prediction from all companies. This is all trail-blazing technology, regardless of the arguments over radar vs lidar vs cameras, or L2 vs L5 or L-anything. No-one has a CLUE how long it will take, or which technology stack or approach will yield the best results (or any at all) long-term.

But watching (and taking part) in it happening is damn exciting as far as I am concerned.
I'm in that camp for sure. Its frustrating but equally interesting seeing what improves and what doesn't.
If anything I'm more convinced that Tesla will make it work, but I'm also equally convinced it won't be anytime in the next two years (maybe three)
Its so difficult to predict, with releases happening so rapidly most improvements are bound to be incremental and almost unnoticed. It will be fascinating to compare 10.5 against whatever is released one year from now.
I've seen the AP that was delivered when I got my car be transformed from the timid and slightly scary AP to the confident and comforting AP that was my car before I got FSD beta.
Sadly now I'm back at the timid and slightly scary stage again :D
But hey, in two/three years maybe it really will be confident and comforting again?

The only reason I don't trust GM is that I just don't trust GM with anything. They will find a way to make it useless, they always do.

People made inaccurate predictions. No one was foolish smart enough to sell it in advance by the millions.
FTFY ;)

The truth is, complicated, though.

All others had deep pockets (or deep pockets backing them). Tesla was the only one trying to do two "impossible" things at the same time - EVs and AVs.

BTW, remember all those "not foolish" people thought you can't make a profitable EV, let alone make them best sellers. They thought it is better to hype Hydrogen - I bet you believed they will have a lot of hydrogen cars running around everywhere by now.

People made inaccurate predictions. No one was foolish enough to sell it in advance by the millions.

Cost must have come down enough that radar is ubiquitous and LiDAR is starting to appear on production vehicles.

Tesla sold AP because they firmly believe it improves safety. Musk has said many times that it would be morally irresponsible not to make it available to as many people as possible. Now, whether the system (current production AP/FSD) is actually safer is the subject of debate. But I'd hardly call Tesla's motivations foolish. The intent is to constantly improve the safety of these systems so that it becomes indisputable that it is safer.

Blue Cruise and Supercruise are in the hands of real people as well. How is Tesla alone? Munro tested Blue Cruise and it couldn't handle a gentle turn on a highway.

Tesla sold AP because they firmly believe it improves safety. Musk has said many times that it would be morally irresponsible not to make it available to as many people as possible. Now, whether the system (current production AP/FSD) is actually safer is the subject of debate. But I'd hardly call Tesla's motivations foolish. The intent is to constantly improve the safety of these systems so that it becomes indisputable that it is safer.

Blue Cruise and Supercruise are in the hands of real people as well. How is Tesla alone? Munro tested Blue Cruise and it couldn't handle a gentle turn on a highway.
BlueCruise should’ve worked from the start but highway is easily fixable OTA, but FSD is not easy. Musk has been selling not just AP but also FSD and L5 for years. How many of those people have already sold their cars? That is quite possibly illegal.

• Disagree
Reactions: KArnold and nvx1977
No one has been as careless (public safety & AV public image, possible illegality) and wrong with FSD as Musk has. There are NHTSA investigations going on regarding this.
Oh come on! Virtually every car maker ever has fought tooth and nail to keep major defects from being publicly revealed for decades, sometimes with disastrous consequences for the public. How can you possibly say Tesla are the worst? Based on what? That you dont like Elon?

Reactions: alexgr
No one has been as careless (public safety & AV public image, possible illegality) and wrong with FSD as Musk has. There are NHTSA investigations going on regarding this.
You got to be kidding me. Legacy automakers have bought over NHTSA and for years hidden defects that killed a lot of people just to save the companies a few cents per car. You are fast losing any credibility here with such obviously incorrect statements.

ps : I see you are less than 2 months on this forum and you are in Toronto. Are you long on GM or employed by a legacy automaker ?