Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GM Chevy Volt

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've tried that - but they seam to also be convinced that if oil companies are allowed to drill everywhere, we have enough oil in the US to last centuries without needing to import anything.

It's at least 5-10 years from the time a site is selected to actual oil flowing from a new location starts to enter the marketplace. In the meantime, we'll be "funding our enemies" for years to come. I realize that "haters gonna hate" no matter what, but for people who are possible to persuade and don't believe in global warming (for whatever reason), it's actually a pretty compelling argument. I've seen it work. We also have a Republican state representative who is one of the biggest EV/hybrid car supporters in the state legislature (in Florida!) from Boca Raton who supports these types of cars for the same reason.

Let's try to get this thread back on track with this... Bush Senior Buys a Chevy Volt .

"Who would have thought it? Given the flak the Chevy Volt has received at Republican hands over the last few months, former Republican president George H. W. Bush dealt the Volt attackers a serious blow, deciding to purchase one of GM’s extended range electric cars."

Bush senior was always pretty reasonable.

Bush senior was always pretty reasonable.
To be fair, Bush Jr. changed his tune significantly near the end of his administration. I think at the end, a lot of Republicans were not agreeing with what he was doing (esp. if you look at the Republican Congress voting record on some key legislation he backed). He not only was the one who signed the ATVM loans (which made the Model S, Karma, and Nina possible), he also backed the auto bailout (which made the Volt possible). I don't agree with a lot of his policies during the early parts of his administration, but he did a lot of good for the plug-in industry near the end, and I think he deserves credit for that.

The Associated Press: GM adds week to Volt plants usual summer closure

I'd love to know why the PR dept feels that it needs to put this information about shutdowns that are months away out there.
I'm afraid GM still suffers from the split personality disorder that plagued it during the EV1 saga. I've certainly seen enough evidence of people complaining about not being able to get a Volt, yet they are still cutting back production? Maybe there is enough product in the pipeline just waiting to be shipped? I'll probably never understand GM....

I'm afraid GM still suffers from the split personality disorder that plagued it during the EV1 saga. I've certainly seen enough evidence of people complaining about not being able to get a Volt, yet they are still cutting back production? Maybe there is enough product in the pipeline just waiting to be shipped? I'll probably never understand GM....
Bad distribution. Dealers order the car rather than customers. There are unsold Volts in some states (CA, NJ etc) but in some newly released areas, there aren't many Volts.

However, European sales of the Volt and its European twin, the Opel Ampera, began in February and the car has been met there with a more enthusiastic reception than in the United States, were it became, in the words of GM CEO Dan Akerson, a “political football” in the wake of the bailout of GM by the federal government.

...made a political football by Fox News!

The cutback in Volt production isn't a big surprise, and is actually a good move. If you remember in the old days GM would push out the metal and end up with huge inventories and be forced to discount. Having around 60 days inventory (based on current selling rate) on hand is what most in the industry strive for. The problem is the staggered rollout; some areas have more than they need, and others can't get units to sell. But on a national level, the inventory is probably right where they want it, so GM doesn't want to overproduce. It's healthy for GM to do this. Hyundai-Kia keeps extremely low inventories, sometimes around 20 days.

I guess dealers can trade, but would probably want to do it like-for-like, so it might be tough to get one in the lean areas.