Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GM Chevy Volt

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tow at your own risk. If I had to, I would keep it light, slow, and infrequent.

Page 9-62 of the 2011 Volt owner's manual:

General Towing Information

The vehicle is neither designed nor intended to tow a trailer or another
vehicle.

GSP

Good story. I am amazed at what I can do with 35 EPA miles and a 3.3 kW (10 mph) charger. With more charging opportunities, and a 6.6 kW (20 mph) charger, the possibilities would expand significantly.
GSP
Yup, very remarkable how hard people try to drive the Volt like a 100% battery EV. Why not toss out the ICE completely? Add a little more usable battery capacity and a 6.6kW charger and you have a vehicle which does nearly all the Volt can do for less than $39k.

Tow at your own risk. If I had to, I would keep it light, slow, and infrequent.

Page 9-62 of the 2011 Volt owner's manual:

General Towing Information

The vehicle is neither designed nor intended to tow a trailer or another
vehicle.

Toyota says the same about the Prius. However, people have been using the Prius for towing light (and sometimes not so light) trailers since the 2001 model came out and so far there have been no ill effects that anyone can document. There is even a Yahoo forum just about trailers.

The main problems with towing a trailer in this kind of car are that the brakes and suspension are not designed to control the trailer's weight during turns. And, of course, there is no frame reinforcement or handy electrical connectors.

Probably not rated for towing:

IMG00066-20110312-1130.jpg

It's a little too late for that, in case you didn't notice. The Republicans have declared EV's and hybrids the enemy, just as they have attacked the Prius for years.

I guess that I am the exception to that. (or my political compass rests dead center)

(Mod note -- Political compass comments that followed were split off to: Political compass test)

Last edited by a moderator:
Real conservatives probably do see the benefit, but the general Republican stance on all things EV has pretty much been negative for a long time. The recent pressure on Fox to stop the nonsense with the Volt is interesting because it's a complete flip flop.

The recent pressure on Fox to stop the nonsense with the Volt is interesting because it's a complete flip flop.

News is now just another form of entertainment and has been for several years. No attempt is made to to present facts in an unbiased, rational, or even true manner. It's only about ratings and advertising dollars so it's no surprise that when ratings start to drop the reporting slant changes.