Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GM Chevy Volt

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought so too, but then watching that video made me think it's really just a one off and doesn't help move things foward when you have a conpany like Tesla making great EVs. GM made an EV a decade and half ago and still decided to make a hybrid. Ridiculous.

I hear you. Unfortunately large corporations take baby steps forward in order to reduce risk and maintain profit for shareholders. But the Volt is good for a lot of people who are nervous about all electric - baby steps for them. It is still great for the EV sector. Once people get used to electric drive in the Volt there is no going back!!! They will get gas anxiety like I do and will want all electric next time.

I propose GM have events with an incentive to test drive the Volt, like Tesla did. I guarantee sales would spike. Until you drive an EV you don't know what you are missing.

From a marketing point of view the the advantage of the Volt is also its problem. Consumers looking at the Volt and ICE alternatives probably figure that the battery part of the Volt is just not worth its premium. Go any distance and you're on gas, they think. So why not just buy an ICE? I think only environmentally conscious consumers will appreciate and value the Volt, and that's a small market. The dealers I think reflect the problem with the market, and they'll go where the money is. That's not with the Volt.

I'm a former Volt owner so I'm sympathetic, but I also am realistic about the market issues for the Volt.

As for the earlier comment that "And because of its more aggressive low-end throttle mapping in Sport mode, the Volt actually feels more responsive pulling away from a traffic light than the Tesla," this could not have been written by someone who has driven both cars. Or perhaps it was posted by someone whose butt meter is broken and can no longer feel G force:) In comparison to the Model S P85, the Volt is a complete slug off the line.

I think only environmentally conscious consumers will appreciate and value the Volt, and that's a small market. The dealers I think reflect the problem with the market, and they'll go where the money is. That's not with the Volt.
Since you said dealers in the final statement, isn't it true that any vehicle that has less ongoing maintenance than an ICE is "not where the money is" for them?

Given that, either (a) you use the ICE most of the time (not enough range on the battery) which means it's not worth the complexity of having "ICE+" or (b) you use the electric drivetrain more and less maintenance is a bad thing for the dealership. And then there's training people on how the car works, ownership details on how plugging in works, etc. which implies (re)training sales.

Notice I said nothing about the actual vehicle (model) here. Just the concept of such a hybrid is not something they're motivated to support. And worse so for a low-maintenance EV. A point made by Elon and others repeatedly.

As for the earlier comment that "And because of its more aggressive low-end throttle mapping in Sport mode, the Volt actually feels more responsive pulling away from a traffic light than the Tesla," this could not have been written by someone who has driven both cars. Or perhaps it was posted by someone whose butt meter is broken and can no longer feel G force:) In comparison to the Model S P85, the Volt is a complete slug off the line.
Yep, having driven both vehicles, I wondered the same thing. Did he forget to put the Tesla in "drive"? There is no comparison.

I think only environmentally conscious consumers will appreciate and value the Volt, and that's a small market.

I'm not so sure. Environmental considerations were not at the top of my list for considering an EV. For me, the cost of "fuel" was way and by far #1. I would seriously consider a "range extended" EV, but my 100 mile or so daily commute meant that the Volt, with it's 40 mile electric range (less in winter) wouldn't cut it when I really wanted (at least) my commuting to be purely electric. I had hoped the Cadillac ELR would have had more electric range, but that was not to be.

Not only that, but the Volt operates like a very good Hybrid even after the battery is depleted (stop/start at lights, initial acceleration on battery before the engine re-starts etc.)
Indeed I've gotten 50 miles on the battery in those situations in my 2011 (2013 has more range). I'm still very happy with 27 month driving with 23K EV miles and 29K total miles. ICE maint? 1 oil change.

80% pedal acceleration to 90 MPH. ICE RPM scale on left. MPH scale on bottom.

Yellow line is Volt ICE RPM to your underlined point above.
prius_ICE_volt_CS.JPG

And for comparison when running off the battery (CD).
Yellow line is the Volt ICE RPM <grin>

prius_ICE_volt_CD.JPG

Last edited:
Neither the Leaf or the Tesla can make a cross country trip without some special circumstances and delays for charging. The Volt does not have that limitation. I have used 14.2 gal of gasoline this year in over 3000 mi of driving in my Volt. Is it as exciting as my Tesla will be? Of course not. It is however an excellent car and is far nicer than a Leaf and much less than half the cost of the Model S that I ordered. The Leaf has an advantage over a Volt for a small number or people that have a daily commute greater than 40 mi. Other than the commuting advantage for a small percentage of commuters the Leaf is inferior to a Volt in every other aspect.

The Leaf has an advantage over a Volt for a small number or people that have a daily commute greater than 40 mi. Other than the commuting advantage for a small percentage of commuters the Leaf is inferior to a Volt in every other aspect.

In many parts of the country, I would not even go that far. Due to the lack of a TMS, in really cold or really hot weather, a standard charge on a leaf will not grantee 50+ miles. Throw in a few years worth of battery degradation, and that number could easily be under 40 on those 105 or 5 degree days. Unless you live in an area with moderate climate or 100% reliable access to workplace charging, I would not recommend the leaf to anyone with a commute over 40 miles round trip. The one place the leaf really does pull ahead of the volt is having a third rear seat, easily allowing for a rear facing child seat. The one major complaint I have about my Volt is that when my daughters rear facing seat is installed, the front passenger has virtually no leg room.

Other than the commuting advantage for a small percentage of commuters the Leaf is inferior to a Volt in every other aspect.

I've to wonder what the thought process is behind such sweeping statements ...

- 5 seater
- much better backseat space
- so much easier to get in & out (primary reason my wife rejected Volt)
- much cleaner interior design (as opposed to a cluttered design)
- feels open instead of feeling claustrophobic
etc

Nobody wants the Volt. GM can't even give it away. They still have 160 inventory days of Volts, LOL. 2014's are almost here and they can't even give away the old ones. They're now offering $5k incentives for 2012 models and $4k incentives for 2013 models. IMO they should just auction off the rest and stop making it altogether LOL. I mean really, who wants a 2012 volt whose battery has been sitting on a lot for 2 years and who knows in what condition?!!

http://247wallst.com/2013/06/11/car-buying-public-still-shuns-chevy-volt-gm-cant-give-it-away

i want a volt

ChevyVoltRed.jpg

nice ass car, just overpriced

lol at people talking bad about the volt, how is the leaf inferior to the volt? the leaf cant go 300 miles on a charge, remember your comparing an all electric to an extended range ev, the volt is the perfect commuter car

and the leaf is ugly, volts beige interior is nicer than the leafs, and there is plenty of room in the volt

people talking reckless, a leaf isnt anything to brag about, other than being all electric

nissan-leaf_lo_630.jpg

i mean really how are you going to brag about that? just look at it
waynewdf.png

Last edited:
... how is the leaf inferior to the volt? the leaf cant go 300 miles on a charge, remember your comparing an all electric to an extended range ev, the volt is the perfect commuter car
If you can get the Volt to go 300 miles with an empty gas tank, then "charge" applies. Otherwise it doesn't.

Again, terminology matters when expressing fact.