Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GM Chevy Volt

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Neither the Leaf or the Tesla can make a cross country trip without some special circumstances and delays for charging. The Volt does not have that limitation. I have used 14.2 gal of gasoline this year in over 3000 mi of driving in my Volt. Is it as exciting as my Tesla will be? Of course not. It is however an excellent car and is far nicer than a Leaf and much less than half the cost of the Model S that I ordered. The Leaf has an advantage over a Volt for a small number or people that have a daily commute greater than 40 mi. Other than the commuting advantage for a small percentage of commuters the Leaf is inferior to a Volt in every other aspect.

As a unbiased (cough) Volt owner, I do agree the Leaf is inferior in every aspect. Except:

I've to wonder what the thought process is behind such sweeping statements ...

- 5 seater
- much better backseat space
- so much easier to get in & out (primary reason my wife rejected Volt)
- much cleaner interior design (as opposed to a cluttered design)
- feels open instead of feeling claustrophobic
etc

Add to that list:
- heated steering wheel and back seats, even in the loss leader Leaf S. These must have features are not available on even a fully optioned Volt
- "top view camera" option for a virtual overhead view of the Leaf when parking
- heat pump for longer range in cold weather
- lower price
- 24 kWh, instead of 16.5 kWh, and ability to do a range charge
- DC fast charging, with CHAdeMo chargers deployed in many areas

I still vastly prefer the Volt however.

Isn't is great that we're seeing options in the market, and can finally have these kinds of conversations about EVs?

This is the real lesson here folks. Ain't it just grand?! :biggrin:

GSP

One determined fellow used our office charge station last weekend to recharge his Volt. He stayed with the car for the whole three hours. It doesn't have very high power charging!

Admirable desire to avoid using gas... but that's a long time to wait when you have a choice! I've waited for my Roadster for three hours, but that was nearly a full charge, and there wasn't any other way to get home!

Via kdawg

s6w3hT9.png

Via BuzzSmith

uPA5olJ.png