Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GM Chevy Volt

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On my 700 mile drive the other day I was able to see how this system worked on the highway (on purpose and not because I was falling asleep). It was a little strange the first time because I didn't know it would physically turn the wheel and I was only very lightly holding it. I thought it was only the indicator on the dash showing you were on the line. Obviously not an "auto-pilot" feature but just a safety feature that is really nice in new cars.

Lane Keep Assist (LKA)

Just a beep or indicator is Lane Departure Warning, which a 2009 (I think) EU study on early driver assistance implementations suggested was worse than useless.

Just a beep or indicator is Lane Departure Warning, which a 2009 (I think) EU study on early driver assistance implementations suggested was worse than useless.
In this case where it actually will turn the wheel for you I thought it worked really well. Very easy to ignore and if you are actively turning the wheel then it will not "assist". Obviously if your blinker is no LKA is not activated. Bolded below.

Lane Keep Assist.
If equipped, LKA may help avoid crashes due to unintentional lane departures. It may assist by gently turning the steering wheel if the vehicle approaches a detected lane marking without using a turn signal in that direction. It may also provide a Lane Departure Warning (LDW) system alert as the lane marking is crossed. The LKA system will not assist or provide an LDW alert if it detects that you are actively steering. Override LKA by turning the steering wheel. LKA uses a camera to detect lane markings between 60 km/h (37 mph) and 180 km/h (112 mph).

ok so I got my volt premium fully loaded, all options. Drives great. Imagine my surprise after trying to find home link on it. There are no 2016 volts with home link. I never thought to check for it before purchase. The gen 1 volts all had home link. I am not sure if any other cars made these days don't have it. I thought it would be like checking to see if there were door locks. No problem, just ordered one for 12 dollars including shipping. I am incredulous that it is not an option on a 40K car. Could not have been a cost cutting decision, they don't cost enough to bother. A very poor marketing decision. Most will buy but soon all will realize it's missing

Just got our 2016 Volt fully loaded today too...and...also was quite shocked it didn't have Homelink in it. Overall I'm quite impressed with it as a secondary vehicle to our Model S while we wait for Model 3. Compared to Model S wow is it ever small (which is what we wanted) and wow does it ever have a pile of buttons. But the touch screen works well, and it has quite a bit of spunk. Found out that ours will be about the last 2016 Volt sold in Canada -- if you ordered one today it will take 3+ months and you'll get a 2017 (which will probably have Homelink back!). They also said that their dealership completely sold out of any 2016 Volts they could order, and that they get 2-3 enquiries per week for them. Only 1 salesperson at the dealership knew anything at all about them, but to his credit he was very very good and overall I was impressed with GM thus far.

I've heard that the new volt is actually quicker off the line than a S85 due to it's smaller size and high torque... does it 'feel' quicker initially than your Tesla?
First gm claims that for the 0 to 40 range but compared to a 60 kW car no longer sold for over a year. It is over 8 sec 0 to 60 time. It is no where near my S85. But that's fine. It is not fast but does not feel slow. However just realized I did not put into sport mode which would be faster speed AND use of your 50 miles

- - - Updated - - -

The missing HomeLink on the Gen 2 Volt is indeed a head scratcher. I wonder if they literally forgot about it? Makes no sense whatsoever and it doesn't look like they rushed to add it to the 2017 either.
I considered an oversight as well but I had to go back to dealer (they forgot to put in ambient lights, cargo net and parcel shelf) and looked at other cars in showroom. Some other models without home link as well

Last edited:
It wasn't GM that claimed it was faster than an S85 off the line. Motor Trend got a 0-30 time of 2.2 seconds for the 2016 Volt, vs. 2.3 seconds for an 85 (non-P).
2016 Chevrolet Volt Out-Accelerates Tesla Model S 85
But take these times with a grain of salt. You can't really compare acceleration times measured on different days by different drivers in different conditions.
My family has both the Gen I (2011) and the Gen II (2016) and the later is *noticeably* faster 0-30. Good thing it is my wife's car otherwise I'd wear the [front] tires out. ;)

Admittedly we've not driven it much yet, but in sport mode, the Volt seemed to spin out alot on a quick "punch" takeoff. There is just a lot more tire on the road with the Tesla.
Took the 2016 volt out yesterday started with full charge. Had heat on but not really very cold day ( mid forties). Got 76 "real miles" from electric only. Not on highway top speed 62 but mostly 55 (have lead foot). One thing I worry about is the gas portion. I know the car will periodically burn some to keep it fresh. Will it ever do that in park for instance in garage? Or on warm up before driving when still attached to charger?

- - - Updated - - -

I believe I know why home link not included. I suspect it was previously in mirror but now with Mobile eye camera there they were unable to or unwilling to mess with the mirror/forward looking camera. Why they didn't just move it to visor is still a mystery

Took the 2016 volt out yesterday started with full charge. Had heat on but not really very cold day ( mid forties). Got 76 "real miles" from electric only. Not on highway top speed 62 but mostly 55 (have lead foot).
That is impressive for the mid-40s. Remember there are 3 levels of heating in the 2016+. Eco button, Max button, Normal neither button light up. 2015- had Eco and Comfort (Max). I use Eco and wife uses Max :)

The maintenance ICE running (6 wks?) only runs a couple/few minutes. Does diagnosis and burns off condensation. I *think* it only runs when the car is "started" (blue power button and not remote started or just plugged in). With such low emissions there wouldn't be any danger anyway in just a couple minutes.

gm-volt .com is the place to get more details. 2016 is my wife's car and we have only had it a couple weeks.

That is impressive for the mid-40s. Remember there are 3 levels of heating in the 2016+. Eco button, Max button, Normal neither button light up. 2015- had Eco and Comfort (Max). I use Eco and wife uses Max :)

The maintenance ICE running (6 wks?) only runs a couple/few minutes. Does diagnosis and burns off condensation. I *think* it only runs when the car is "started" (blue power button and not remote started or just plugged in). With such low emissions there wouldn't be any danger anyway in just a couple minutes.

gm-volt .com is the place to get more details. 2016 is my wife's car and we have only had it a couple weeks.
had on normal but should have just used seat warmer. i thought it was more than just couple minutes. i am concerned about gas aging. asked dealer to just add three gallons but it came with full tank. i guess it would be best to burn some off. suspect it would take my daughter a year to burn off three gallons. should also do it to make sure that the extender works

I believe I know why home link not included. I suspect it was previously in mirror but now with Mobile eye camera there they were unable to or unwilling to mess with the mirror/forward looking camera. Why they didn't just move it to visor is still a mystery
This guy added it to his 2016 Volt -- Teksavy's homelink installation DONE.. Instructions inside

- - - Updated - - -

had on normal but should have just used seat warmer. i thought it was more than just couple minutes. i am concerned about gas aging. asked dealer to just add three gallons but it came with full tank. i guess it would be best to burn some off. suspect it would take my daughter a year to burn off three gallons. should also do it to make sure that the extender works
The car has a pressurized tank to help with aging gas ... hence the button to release it. I think if you don't use enough in 1 year then it will burn 1/2 of it in your drives. The time depends on the outside temp as it needs to warm the engine up. Not a big engine so warms up quick. In fact, one of the info displays added to the 2016 is the ICE coolant temp (I used a ScanGuage OBDII on my 2011 to investigate mine).

Do you have the ability to drive in "gas only mode" to use up this aging gas, or do you need to exhaust the battery first?
There is a 'hold' mode that holds the battery at the current level and starts the ICE. Think living a ways outside London and wanting to save the battery for when you get there and avoid the tax/fees.

hold-mode-300x211.jpg

WARNING. There is a real possibility of the gas extender starting on its own in your garage. Chevy recommends remote starting to warm car and battery while plugged into wall. Sounds great but the car has gas engine assisted heating. If it's cold enough in your garage the gas extender will turn on. There is a setting in configuration menu to turn off gas engine assisted heating while plugged in but the DEFAULT setting is for this to be on. Volt owners, if you plug in your garage, please turn this feature off

The wife and I test drove a 2016 Volt today. It was a mixed reaction. The car drives well and feels nice, but coming from the Tesla or her 2008 RDX it felt like it fell short in several ways. Particularly since it costs quite a bit more than her RDX did.

* No power seats. No seat memory. Come on, even my wife's 2008 RDX ($28k new) has that.

* Charging defaults to 8 amps. You have to bump it to 12 every single time you charge. Given you charge a car like the Volt every day, that's annoying (I only plug in the S every 3-4 days). I suppose 8 amps still fills it overnight, so maybe it'd be a non-factor.

* Felt cramped. Front somewhat so, the back felt really cramped. Granted, that's in comparison to our Model S or an Acura RDX, but it even felt cramped compared to sitting in my daughter's Hyundai Accent.

* Regen is weird. In drive, it's incredibly mild. In Low, it felt right, but then you'd have to shift out of L when you're on the freeway. Also, regen does NOT turn on the brake lights according the sales guy (really knowledgeable, we honestly had a great experience at the dealership). But...there's a manual paddle on the steering wheel to activate the regen more in D and it causes the brake lights to come on. WTF...the whole bit with how the Volt does regen feels half-baked.

The cramped feeling was probably the most significant factor (and we're average height, not overweight). I was disappointed. I wanted to really like it, at least relative to her RDX. The idea was to replace her car with it as a lease to bridge to the Model 3.

* Charging defaults to 8 amps. You have to bump it to 12 every single time you charge. Given you charge a car like the Volt every day, that's annoying (I only plug in the S every 3-4 days). I suppose 8 amps still fills it overnight, so maybe it'd be a non-factor.
<snip>
* Regen is weird. In drive, it's incredibly mild. In Low, it felt right, but then you'd have to shift out of L when you're on the freeway. Also, regen does NOT turn on the brake lights according the sales guy (really knowledgeable, we honestly had a great experience at the dealership). But...there's a manual paddle on the steering wheel to activate the regen more in D and it causes the brake lights to come on. WTF...the whole bit with how the Volt does regen feels half-baked.
If you normally have one driver then it really doesn't matter if the seats are manual. Obviously they could have added them but didn't to save weight (not likely price).

You can default to 12 amp in Gen IIs since they have location based charging settings (Like Tesla has).

I've driven in L (max regen) for 65K miles in our 2011 Volt. In the 2016 you can use (L and paddle) or (D and paddle). I still use L even on the highway. Let's me click cruise control down and the car will slow down quickly.

This thread gives you the details on the brake light with L and/or paddle: Brake Lamps in L, D and Regen - A Self-Test