Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GM Chevy Volt

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2017 Volt ordering opened today. Production should begin in February and delivery will be nationwide.

Also, 1980 sold the past month for the best November ever. Not great, but at this sales pace there is less than a months supply on dealer lots and that is only going to get tighter as they are getting ready to start 2017 production.
Does this have to be ordered through a dealer or can we do it online? Probably a dumb question. Already Tesla-spoiled.

Mister Dave on GM-Volt forum edited this picture for me. Looks 10000x better. I will be getting one soon and doing these aesthetic mods!

2016frontendh.jpg

Test drove the 2016 volt. It did not feel like the rental gm cars I have driven previously. No shakes rattles or rolls. Acceleration ok but not fantastic. The salesman told me that it is as fast as tesla from 0 to 40. Very laughable. There were incredible number of graphic screens and useless stuff. I really did not understand the hill mode where extender built up energy to tackle climb when extender comes on automatically when needed. However it felt more substantial than the leaf and had better ride. It actually prevented an accident by warning of a car (speeding) in parking lot that was hidden by suburban next to us when we backed out of spot. It's not one pedal driving as regen not as potent unless you use paddle button on steering wheel to break that increased regen. Overall pleasently surprised. Such a limited range though it's tough choice. Why isn't model 3 here yet. Will probably buy. It would appear not much bargaining room which surprised me for a gm car with gas prices down but just hitting show rooms so limited supply

Test drove the 2016 volt. It did not feel like the rental gm cars I have driven previously. No shakes rattles or rolls. Acceleration ok but not fantastic. The salesman told me that it is as fast as tesla from 0 to 40. Very laughable.
Actually, Car and Driver magazine tested the 2016 Volt on the track as 0-30 in 2.6 seconds versus 0-30 in 2.3 seconds for the S60. After that the Tesla S60 dominates more clear with 0-60 in 5.5 versus 7.8 for the Volt. MotorTrend found the Volt with a half-full battery in Hold Mode (hybrid engine manually driver-enabled) was 0-30 in 2.3 seconds and their original S85 review gave it 0-30 in 2.2. They found the Volt did 0-60 in 7.1. According to GM, the 2016 Volt's EV acceleration should be slightly better than its hybrid enabled acceleration. So, the Volt's 0-30 acceleration is actually a surprisingly close match to the S60 and even the S85 and is notably better than other non-Tesla plugins. GM gets the EV mode numbers by combining together both of its electric motors, which each have slightly different torque characteristics and gearing ratios.

There were incredible number of graphic screens and useless stuff. I really did not understand the hill mode where extender built up energy to tackle climb when extender comes on automatically when needed.
You are referring to Mountain Mode. This allows the driver to optionally retain or rebuild a higher than normal minimum state of charge in the battery pack to assist the gas engine in driving through mountain passes at high speed. It was more necessary for the first generation Volt which was heavier and had a somewhat smaller engine. As usual, the gas engine does not come on until the battery reaches a preset minimum charge level -- Mountain Mode raises this minimum set point from around 17% to around 40% (I'm not sure what the specific values are in the 2016 so I'm giving a rough example). This allows the car to dig deeper into the battery to help the gas engine, when needed.

However it felt more substantial than the leaf and had better ride. It actually prevented an accident by warning of a car (speeding) in parking lot that was hidden by suburban next to us when we backed out of spot. It's not one pedal driving as regen not as potent unless you use paddle button on steering wheel to break that increased regen. Overall pleasently surprised. Such a limited range though it's tough choice. Why isn't model 3 here yet. Will probably buy. It would appear not much bargaining room which surprised me for a gm car with gas prices down but just hitting show rooms so limited supply

Look on the GM-Volt.com forum for clues about how to buy it for a good price. There are a couple of high-volume dealers in the Los Angeles area with discounted prices and other deals are available such as so-called "private offers" from GM and sales arranged through Costco's car buying service. Some people have reported paying several thousand under MSRP. The LA dealers regularly ship to customers out of state and you might at least use an offer from one of them as a bargaining tactic with your local dealer.

Last edited:
Actually, Car and Driver magazine tested the 2016 Volt on the track as 0-30 in 2.6 seconds versus 0-30 in 2.3 seconds for the S60. After than the Tesla S60 dominates more clear with 0-60 in 5.5 versus 7.8 for the Volt. MotorTrend found the Volt with a half-full battery in Hold Mode (hybrid engine manually driver-enabled) was 0-30 in 2.3 seconds and their original S85 review gave it 0-30 in 2.2. They found the Volt did 0-60 in 7.1. According to GM, the 2016 Volt's EV acceleration should be slightly better than its hybrid enabled acceleration. So, the Volt's 0-30 acceleration is actually a surprisingly close match to the S60 and even the S85 and is notably better than other non-Tesla plugins. GM gets the EV mode numbers by combining together both of its electric motors, which each have slightly different torque characteristics and gearing ratios.

You are referring to Mountain Mode. This allows the driver to optionally retain or rebuilt a higher than normal minimum state of charge in the battery pack to assist the gas engine in driving through mountain passes at high speed. It was more necessary for the first generation Volt which was heavier and had a somewhat smaller engine. As usual, the gas engine does not come on until the battery reaches a preset minimum charge level -- Mountain Mode raises this minimum set point from around 17% to around 40% (I'm not sure what the specific values are in the 2016 so I'm giving a rough example). This allows the car to dig deeper into the battery to help the gas engine, when needed.

Look on the GM-Volt.com forum for clues about how to buy it for a good price. There are a couple of high-volume dealers in the Los Angeles area with discounted prices and other deals are available such as so-called "private offers" from GM and sales arranged through Costco's car buying service. Some people have reported paying several thousand under MSRP. The LA dealers regularly ship to customers out of state and you might at least use an offer from one of them as a bargaining tactic with your local dealer.
great info. thanks. the acceleration is in sport mode, something i would be loath to use with only 50 miles.

great info. thanks. the acceleration is in sport mode, something i would be loath to use with only 50 miles.
Sport Mode on the Volt just remaps the accelerator pedal to make it more responsive. You can achieve the same acceleration performance in the default driving mode.

Also, as far as one-pedal driving, I forgot to mention 'L' vs 'D' drive "gear". Driving in 'D' has very little regeneration when you lift off of the accelerator pedal. Driving in 'L' has quite a bit of regen and gives a sort-of one-pedal driving experience which can then be further enhanced with the steering wheel regen paddle. In my old 2011 Volt I drive in 'L' when I'm not on the freeway in fast traffic and I rarely use the brake pedal until the last few mph.

Sport Mode on the Volt just remaps the accelerator pedal to make it more responsive. You can achieve the same acceleration performance in the default driving mode.

Also, as far as one-pedal driving, I forgot to mention 'L' vs 'D' drive "gear". Driving in 'D' has very little regeneration when you lift off of the accelerator pedal. Driving in 'L' has quite a bit of regen and gives a sort-of one-pedal driving experience which can then be further enhanced with the steering wheel regen paddle. In my old 2011 Volt I drive in 'L' when I'm not on the freeway in fast traffic and I rarely use the brake pedal until the last few mph.
The 2016 paddle works well. I was able to use it in some stoplight situations even tho I used 'L'. You can wait longer to slow down then just use the paddle.

I drove our new 2016 just over 700 miles yesterday from MD to IL. Amazingly comfortable ride. I was only going to drive part way but ended up doing the whole thing.

Loved the new safety features. Land departure appears to actually take over steering and bring you back in the lane. I only played briefly doing that. The other very interesting feature is the distance following in seconds display. It tells you "> 2.5" seconds or decrements down from there. Interesting to experience when people cut in front of you or if you come up on someone just a little too fast in cruise control.

The 2016 paddle works well. I was able to use it in some stoplight situations even tho I used 'L'. You can wait longer to slow down then just use the paddle.

I drove our new 2016 just over 700 miles yesterday from MD to IL. Amazingly comfortable ride. I was only going to drive part way but ended up doing the whole thing.

Loved the new safety features. Land departure appears to actually take over steering and bring you back in the lane. I only played briefly doing that. The other very interesting feature is the distance following in seconds display. It tells you "> 2.5" seconds or decrements down from there. Interesting to experience when people cut in front of you or if you come up on someone just a little too fast in cruise control.
Probably will buy. Put off by some dealers claiming that gm is making them agree not to sell below deal or invoice but already found one who will. You got to love dealerships or not. I don't really mind the price just hate that someone else gets it cheaper than me

On my 700 mile drive the other day I was able to see how this system worked on the highway (on purpose and not because I was falling asleep). It was a little strange the first time because I didn't know it would physically turn the wheel and I was only very lightly holding it. I thought it was only the indicator on the dash showing you were on the line. Obviously not an "auto-pilot" feature but just a safety feature that is really nice in new cars.

Lane Keep Assist (LKA)
If equipped, LKA may help avoid crashes due to unintentional lane departures. It may assist by gently turning the steering wheel if the vehicle approaches a detected lane marking without using a turn signal in that direction. It may also provide a Lane Departure Warning (LDW) system alert as the lane marking is crossed. The LKA system will not assist or provide an LDW alert if it detects that you are actively steering. Override LKA by turning the steering wheel. LKA uses a camera to detect lane markings between 60 km/h (37 mph) and 180 km/h (112 mph).

There are a couple dealers nearby that apparently have a new 2014 Volt in stock (how, I have no idea). I'm thinking the price should be pretty darn good on those, but what would a good lease be? I'm thinking a low cost bridge car to replace my ICE until the model 3 comes out. Trying to google anything about "lease" and "volt" is useless when it comes to a 2014 model.

There are a couple dealers nearby that apparently have a new 2014 Volt in stock (how, I have no idea). I'm thinking the price should be pretty darn good on those, but what would a good lease be? I'm thinking a low cost bridge car to replace my ICE until the model 3 comes out. Trying to google anything about "lease" and "volt" is useless when it comes to a 2014 model.
Found this from a year ago. Imagine it's cheaper now.
http://insideevs.com/2014-chevy-volt-lease-deal/

Yea, I found a couple really out of date links, but as you noted, the prices aren't going to be relevant anymore.

I've got an email into a *shudder* dealer to inquire. I'm sure that'll be enjoyable.

Heh, ok, so apparently there aren't any 2016's available near me. Or, well, there are very few anyway since the few dealers I checked didn't have them. Apparently the 2017s are coming out in February or March. Yes...2017's are already coming out. Apparently, the 2016s will be a very short run for some reason and quickly replaced by 2017.

Heh, ok, so apparently there aren't any 2016's available near me. Or, well, there are very few anyway since the few dealers I checked didn't have them. Apparently the 2017s are coming out in February or March. Yes...2017's are already coming out. Apparently, the 2016s will be a very short run for some reason and quickly replaced by 2017.

Not much in the way of difference
The 2017 Volt will get “Additional Content” compared to the outgoing 2016, but according to the autoevolution.com, the additions aren’t that significant.

If you wondering whether it’s better to buy the 2016 or wait for the 2017, here are the main differences:

http://insideevs.com/2017-chevrolet-volt-gets-minor-updates/

It occurs to me you might be better served asking the GM Volt forums about the 2014 Volt lease pricing.

I ended up getting my 2014 (in 2014) from Keyes Chevy in California. It was worth $4,000 difference compared to the local dealerships. They are also already selling the 2017s (pre-orders) if you are interested in shipping or taking a road trip.