Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GM Chevy Volt

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pretty bad ass Volt! I think all that's left to do is lower the springs.

Thank ya.

Ya would be nice but I don't want to mess with the suspension. There's some things underneath that are positioned low. And it doesn't have an underbody shield.

Mr. X. Very nice! Did you black out the Chevy logo?

They are blacked out. Sort of thought about leaving the chrome around the bowtie in the front for balance but I think it looks better all black.

We got our 2017 Volt a month or so ago. It's great for my fiance. She gets so excited not having to go to the gas station for weeks. I've completely converted her to the EV movement. Muahaaahahaaa.

Around town I use it for errands instead of the Tesla since it's not efficient but more than 50 miles round trip i go with the S.

I finally got to experience Android Auto and it's decent. The lack of Waze support which i use all the time is disappointing. The Amszon music interface is also terrible. I can't simply scan through my albums. Instead they make you use voice commands that hardly work right.

One of the things the Volt destroys the Model S on is its ability to play music off of a USB stick. Tesla needs to do better in this department.

Overall good car but that low speed noise making crap needs to go. High end luxury cars can be fairly quiet and they don't require this noise pollution at low speeds. Pedestrians can hear the tires of cars approaching.

Just curious how it is better at this.

Here's a list of what I've observed in the Volt's USB music playing that's better than the Model S:
  • The song played upon exit of the vehicle is remembered in terms of the location in the USB as well as the exact time in the song
  • Embedded album art always displays
  • No skipping when playing WMA files
  • Song names display better. I'll have to look into this closer since I'm having trouble pinpointing exactly why i like the way the Volt displays the song name better.
  • Loading of the USB contents is much faster (I've got a 32GB stick). I didn't even notice the load time in the Volt but in the Model S I've seen it take tens of seconds.
  • Playlist support is shown but i haven't explored this feature
  • Several more options I need to explore
Both vehicles allow you to search through the USB based on Albums, Artists, Folder structure. The music UI of the Volt leaves something to be desired but the consistent performance and multiple features makes me like it better. Hopefully Tesla can upgrade its music player.

I didn't upgrade the Model S to version 7 so i can't speak to any music player upgrades that version might have.

We got our 2017 Volt a month or so ago. It's great for my fiance. She gets so excited not having to go to the gas station for weeks. I've completely converted her to the EV movement. Muahaaahahaaa.

Around town I use it for errands instead of the Tesla since it's not efficient but more than 50 miles round trip i go with the S.

I finally got to experience Android Auto and it's decent. The lack of Waze support which i use all the time is disappointing. The Amszon music interface is also terrible. I can't simply scan through my albums. Instead they make you use voice commands that hardly work right.

One of the things the Volt destroys the Model S on is its ability to play music off of a USB stick. Tesla needs to do better in this department.

Overall good car but that low speed noise making crap needs to go. High end luxury cars can be fairly quiet and they don't require this noise pollution at low speeds. Pedestrians can hear the tires of cars approaching.

Make the F5 fuse disappear, and no more noisemaker sounds. Doing this will eliminate the charging confirmation chirps as well though.

What is a USB stick? Is that something from the 90's? :D

Here's a list of what I've observed in the Volt's USB music playing that's better than the Model S:
  • The song played upon exit of the vehicle is remembered in terms of the location in the USB as well as the exact time in the song
  • Embedded album art always displays
  • No skipping when playing WMA files
  • Song names display better. I'll have to look into this closer since I'm having trouble pinpointing exactly why i like the way the Volt displays the song name better.
  • Loading of the USB contents is much faster (I've got a 32GB stick). I didn't even notice the load time in the Volt but in the Model S I've seen it take tens of seconds.
  • Playlist support is shown but i haven't explored this feature
  • Several more options I need to explore
Both vehicles allow you to search through the USB based on Albums, Artists, Folder structure. The music UI of the Volt leaves something to be desired but the consistent performance and multiple features makes me like it better. Hopefully Tesla can upgrade its music player.

I didn't upgrade the Model S to version 7 so i can't speak to any music player upgrades that version might have.

All true.

Volt USB is better than in my Dad's Tesla.

Garage.jpg

Happy Together. :)

great milestone for the Chevy Volt...100k Volt sold in the U.S.....Over 2.5 billion miles traveled:

Way to go!

"How much of an impact do 100,000 Volts out on the road make? As it turns out, quite a bit. Since sales of the Chevrolet Volt began, owners have driven almost 1.5 billion miles in EV mode of a total 2.5 billion cumulative miles. Based on an average new car fuel economy of 25.3 miles per gallon, Volt drivers have saved nearly 58 million gallons of fuel. That is enough gasoline to fill more than 87 competition-size swimming pools."

GM delivers 100,000th Chevy Volt in the US, fleet racked up 1.5 billion electric miles on total of 2.5 billion

These are nice cars. Here in Australia the Volt was rebadged as a Holden and managed to sell a handful of units before getting axed (word is the honourable Australian government caught wind of people trying to use less fossil fuels and intervened ;)). Unfortunately used prices are high and market examples are low which is a shame as used Volt may make the perfect Gateway drug to all electric driving

So 60% of miles on electrons and 40% on dyno juice.

Doesn't sound like " I put in a few gallons every 6 months" is very typical.

I'm pretty sure this is a situation where the mean and median deviate significantly.

Keep in mind, this total includes all the GE fleet cars where HE bought there cars for their employees, issued them gas cards for free gas, but then left the employees to pay for their own electricity and didn't arrange easy charging options. Predictably, most of those cards were driven on gas the whole time.

Likewise, though for better reasons, anyone who racks up a whole lot of miles had higher gas fractions.

While still not a couple gallons every six months, the typical owner on Voltstats was 80% electric they'd last time I looked.

(Edit: Just went over there - today it shows ~ 77% on 46 million miles of data.)

Keep in mind, this total includes all the GE fleet cars where HE bought there cars for their employees, issued them gas cards for free gas, but then left the employees to pay for their own electricity and didn't arrange easy charging options. Predictably, most of those cards were driven on gas the whole time.
A little clarification for you........GE stepped in during the recession and bought all the Volts that were available from GM as assistance since they weren't selling, and GM was struggling through BK. It was virtually all of them in mid 2010 and tapered down the following years. Employees were not required to take a Volt and GE maintained a choice of cars from which to select. While GE continued to provide legacy gas cards, GE also provided either electric cost reimbursements or home charger installation to early adopters. However, Fleet telemetrics quickly showed the preference for most drivers to rely on gas which made sense, since most of those provided company cars were very high mileage drivers. The GE effect on Volt gas fractions has ebbed substantially by now.