Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GM Chevy Volt

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So 60% of miles on electrons and 40% on dyno juice.

Doesn't sound like " I put in a few gallons every 6 months" is very typical.
Actually that is the way it works for us. Two months around town with no gasoline. Then we visit family or vacation and fill up several times that week. Then back home for several months of no gas. Either are trips are under 40 miles or over 400 with very little In between.

Reactions: Drucifer

I'm at about 83% EV miles, but 98% of my trips are all EV. Only time I ever burn gas is when I go on long, range-anxiety free road trips of 500-1,000 miles. For a plug-in that "only" has a 38 mile range (vast majority of Volts out there are the older, Gen 1 model with 35-38 miles of EV range), not too shabby.

The Gen 2 and its 53 mile EV range will put up even better numbers.

I am 92% lifetime on EV versus CS (gas mode). 98% of those gas miles came from 3 longer distance trips in the last two years. Aside from those longer trips, I would be over 99% EV.

It is too bad that in this thread in particular there is a tendency to minimize the contribution of the Volt towards an EV future. 1.5 billion EV miles while not stunning is a great contribution towards the overall EV miles racked up world wide.

Don't forget that a lot of these first Volts were in fact GE fleet cars which for some reason NEVER ran on EV. Perhaps because GE reimbursed for gas but not electric? Some of these cars racked up close to 100k miles before being sold at auction. Second hand owners were far more likely to use these "rescues" in EV mode. But in the end, this is a Tesla board so we know how positive news (non-Tesla) is often received here. :(

I am 92% lifetime on EV versus CS (gas mode). 98% of those gas miles came from 3 longer distance trips in the last two years. Aside from those longer trips, I would be over 99% EV.

It is too bad that in this thread in particular there is a tendency to minimize the contribution of the Volt towards an EV future. 1.5 billion EV miles while not stunning is a great contribution towards the overall EV miles racked up world wide.

Don't forget that a lot of these first Volts were in fact GE fleet cars which for some reason NEVER ran on EV. Perhaps because GE reimbursed for gas but not electric? Some of these cars racked up close to 100k miles before being sold at auction. Second hand owners were far more likely to use these "rescues" in EV mode. But in the end, this is a Tesla board so we know how positive news (non-Tesla) is often received here. :(

A little clarification for you........GE stepped in during the recession and bought all the Volts that were available from GM as assistance since they weren't selling, and GM was struggling through BK. It was virtually all of them in mid 2010 and tapered down the following years. Employees were not required to take a Volt and GE maintained a choice of cars from which to select. While GE continued to provide legacy gas cards, GE also provided either electric cost reimbursements or home charger installation to early adopters. However, Fleet telemetrics quickly showed the preference for most drivers to rely on gas which made sense, since most of those provided company cars were very high mileage drivers. The GE effect on Volt gas fractions has ebbed substantially by now.

A little clarification for you........GE stepped in during the recession and bought all the Volts that were available from GM as assistance since they weren't selling, and GM was struggling through BK. It was virtually all of them in mid 2010 and tapered down the following years. Employees were not required to take a Volt and GE maintained a choice of cars from which to select. While GE continued to provide legacy gas cards, GE also provided either electric cost reimbursements or home charger installation to early adopters. However, Fleet telemetrics quickly showed the preference for most drivers to rely on gas which made sense, since most of those provided company cars were very high mileage drivers. The GE effect on Volt gas fractions has ebbed substantially by now.

Wasn't GE kind of an original partner to GM in the Volt committing to a large purchase even before launch? According to this article they purchased (or committed) to 12k Volts. Did they really all get bought? If so, GE fleet sales alone counted for over 15% of total Gen 1 sales which is significant.

GE's Big Order of 25,000 EVs (Starting With Chevy Volts) Could Inspire Others

GE Will Purchase 25,000 Plug-ins, 12,000 Chevy Volts

I appreciate your input, and I have no special knowledge, but it seems from the PR that this was a deliberate fleet plan not necessarily as corporate welfare to GM during the recession as that would be more reactionary than deliberate IMO.

There could have been some quid pro quo since I know that GE was angling for a lot of the charging infrastructure.

Wasn't GE kind of an original partner to GM in the Volt committing to a large purchase even before launch? According to this article they purchased (or committed) to 12k Volts. Did they really all get bought? If so, GE fleet sales alone counted for over 15% of total Gen 1 sales which is significant.

The deal was negotiated at the end of 2009 and employees began taking delivery Q2, 2010. I know they took all they could get but don't know if it amounted to the publicized number. The press was released well after, and favorably spun for both parties.

Remember, GE Fleet was the largest Fleet provider in the country, in addition to supplying vehicles for GE's own employees, it also supplied 1000s of other companies. So while they were large buyers of Chevys and Fords anyway, the Volt angle was not quite corproate philanthropy but as noted here, the type of vehicle did not make sense for its higher mileage employee purpose. At the time, not a lot of companies were replacing fleets either. This was also around the time where CEOs and Detroit specifically was getting hammered by Washington. Fortune 100 all run together and help when they can. GE made this one work despite the impracticality. MOO.

The deal was negotiated at the end of 2009 and employees began taking delivery Q2, 2010. I know they took all they could get but don't know if it amounted to the publicized number. The press was released well after, and favorably spun for both parties.
Something isn't right with that information since Volt production didn't begin until the last week in October, 2010.

No more than 100-200 Volts were made in Q2 and those were beta units made to test factory production methods and to have cars for final testing by employees, use in car shows and PR, EPA testing, and for crash testing.

My memory from that era is that GE committed to buy up to 12,000 but actual fleet sales to them were initially slow and were deferred until early general customers got theirs and dealer stock could be built up.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
I'm sorry Jeff, you are right, I was off a year, my apologies. GE had a couple of the betas since they were initially designing and building a GE charging unit which was going to provide GE/GM co branded product pull thru. Big plans early on but they were eventually scrapped. As mentioned, the negotiation was long before delivery and complex. Not sure if the PR number ever amounted......they very often do not. Part of the delay you referenced was due to the Fukishima earthquake. Several Japanese suppliers were affected including paint. Lots of early silver shipments due to paint pigment shortages.

Depends on your definition of typical. Due to selection bias, including geographical, and lease deals you'd expect there to be a number of people at high percentage.
If someone's commuting 40 miles per day, that's 200 miles in a typical week, and say they're in a Gen 2 getting 45 EV miles highway, then they'd be at 98% if they add in a 50 mile highway drive on the weekend. And that's ignoring some errands.

In a multi-car household where the car sits for long trips, I can see it happening. If our 2013 Volt were just my wife's commuter and solo car, it'd be at a much higher percentage. Still not 98% EV, but a Gen 2 would get a _lot_ closer even here.

Actually that 40% can be misleading, especially on a 2nd gen Volt, as when you take the car on a long trip it really skews your ratio.
I just did a 3275 mile round trip to Yellowstone and had to do about 90% on dino juice, it really shifted my numbers but I still averaged 52 mpg for the trip so I'm not complaining!

On a daily basis with my 62 mile per day commute I rarely use any gasoline.

Actually that 40% can be misleading, especially on a 2nd gen Volt, as when you take the car on a long trip it really skews your ratio.
I just did a 3275 mile round trip to Yellowstone and had to do about 90% on dino juice, it really shifted my numbers but I still averaged 52 mpg for the trip so I'm not complaining!

On a daily basis with my 62 mile per day commute I rarely use any gasoline.

Exactly. Someone can make 99% of their trips all on battery power, but if the remaining 1% of trips is made during a coast to coast and back, 6,000 mile road trip, the EV % will get knocked down significantly. The fact the Volt can make a coast to coast road trip without any kind of special planning is a benefit.

Why do these forums always devolve into hair splitting? Who cares about the whys and exact number of EV miles? The Volt is a great, affordable, nice to drive car that significantly reduces urban pollution. GM should be commended as the ONLY manufacturer to more or less get the battery/gas ratio right to maximize EV miles, while not sacrificing long distance capability, all at an affordable price.

Why do these forums always devolve into hair splitting? Who cares about the whys and exact number of EV miles? The Volt is a great, affordable, nice to drive car that significantly reduces urban pollution. GM should be commended as the ONLY manufacturer to more or less get the battery/gas ratio right to maximize EV miles, while not sacrificing long distance capability, all at an affordable price.

It's indeed a great car and far better looking than its in-class competitors. (Although I'm not liking the new look as much, particularly the lights). The volt actually turned me on many years ago to the many desirabilities of EV or I might still be ignorantly icing around now.

Reactions: copyhacker
It's indeed a great car and far better looking than its in-class competitors. (Although I'm not liking the new look as much, particularly the lights). The volt actually turned me on many years ago to the many desirabilities of EV or I might still be ignorantly icing around now.

This. The Volt is very much a gateway drug, too.

I'll be selling/trading mine in a few weeks when my Model X arrives, and I can name at least a dozen other forum members here with Ss or Xs who were Volt owners and active GM-Volt posters back in the day.

Reactions: copyhacker