Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GM Chevy Volt

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Volt would need a major redesign to seat 5. It would be a very different car. I doubt GM is going to do that any time soon.
I would assume the upcoming Volt 2.0 would be a major redesign that could possibly add the 5th seat. What I have heard thus far is that it will actually have lower battery capacity, but a lower price. Hopefully, they have an option for a higher capacity pack if that's the case.

Lower battery? What ? Like only 20 mile battery range. Was considering one with the defeater ( can turn off battery and save it for only in town driving. ) drive high-way on gas and in town battery. But I was expecting the range to increase to 50 mikes not decrease...

I dug up the source, and it seems they will offer one that will be similar to the current one and also another lower-cost version with less range:
The standard Volt won't deviate dramatically from the current model, which is priced from just under $35,000 and has a driving range of up to 380 miles (610 km), according to Chevrolet.
GM also wants to offer a lower-cost edition, priced from just over $30,000 that would likely have a range of less than 300 miles (480 km), with less equipment, the supplier sources said.
http://www.autonews.com/article/201...priced-version-of-2016-chevy-volt-report-says

I was expecting that they offer a version that had more range than the current one, given previous comments by their CEO last year about looking for 20% more range for the next gen version:
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/08/09/akerson-looking-for-20-percent-more-range-from-next-gen-chevy-vo/

Seating for 5 will really open up the market for the Volt.

The Volt would need a major redesign to seat 5. It would be a very different car. I doubt GM is going to do that any time soon.

I would assume the upcoming Volt 2.0 would be a major redesign that could possibly add the 5th seat. What I have heard thus far is that it will actually have lower battery capacity, but a lower price. Hopefully, they have an option for a higher capacity pack if that's the case.

Yes, adding a fifth seat would certainly be a major design change. However, surely if that were the case GM would be prominently advertising the fact.

Larry

The latest round of stories about the new product plans for Volt-like cars from GM was confusing and inept, as usual. The most reliable inference is that there will be at least two variations of Volt-like cars. One will be significantly cheaper (around $30,000) and one will be around the existing price of $35,000 before tax credits. The cheaper one will obviously have less EV range than the more expensive one. Other than that, there is no reliable information yet. We will just have to wait....

Seating for 5 will really open up the market for the Volt.

I wonder about that. My wife's Pontiac Vibe has three seatbelts in the back, but unless you're no more than about 12" wide, it's ain't going to seat three back there. Kids, maybe. Even my old Cadillac CTS would be hard pressed to handle three normal sized people in the back, even though it had three seatbelts.

I actually like the 2+2 seating, but then I'm not hauling a lot of people around on a regular basis and the kids are grown. We went the mini-van route when the kids were small.

Fair point. I think it's a lot like having a car with 400+ mile range. Even if 90+% of time someone drives by themselves they want the option of hauling more people around. Are there really any cars that seat 2-4 people that sell in volume? Even the M3 technically seats 5 people.

First change the design i.e. making it sexy like the prototype of first volt. Current version is not ugly but not exciting as well.

Again, I don't trust GM for anything from quality to promise (true for most of the automaker...tesla little better but they are new in town so we will see)

I wonder about that. My wife's Pontiac Vibe has three seatbelts in the back, but unless you're no more than about 12" wide, it's ain't going to seat three back there. Kids, maybe.
Sure, in reality you might not use that fifth seat often, but it's still something that is enough for people to cross the car off the "buy" list when looking for a car.

The other issue is you can't put a child seat in the middle.

It looks like the first spy photos of the Gen 2 Volt have surfaced. What is most notable to me is that there does not appear to be a gap in the rear seat, most likely indicating a 5 seat configuration for the new Volt (my single biggest complaint with my Volt is the back seat)

2016volt.jpg