Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GM Chevy Volt

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmmm, the front has a slight resemblance to Acuras. Glad to see premium fuel is no longer required. Good to see its seats 5 now. Lame that it looks like it still doesn't have a 6.x+ kW on-board charger. Also am a bit disappointed they couldn't get the CS FE higher.

I'm not sure I like its more traditional interior. Looks more like standard GM than before.

Hmmm, the front has a slight resemblance to Acuras. Glad to see premium fuel is no longer required. Good to see its seats 5 now. Lame that it looks like it still doesn't have a 6.x+ kW on-board charger. Also am a bit disappointed they couldn't get the CS FE higher.

I'm not sure I like its more traditional interior. Looks more like standard GM than before.

Well, it still weighs 3.5klbs, about 400lb more than a Prius, while increasing capacity and lowering the pack enough to allow a 5th seat, so cut them some slack.
Plus, just said 41 combined, no highway number yet. Gen 1 was 35/40, and if they've got it to 40/42 or so that'd be alright given that it's now using regular, especially since the lower weight (-250lb) will mean that it will fi d it easier to get the car up hills. And higher efficiency, is a good thing all round.

Freep also had the interior shot that showed they'd improved the interior.

Everybody is on how the Bolt is going to destroy Tesla (sure, whatever), but how will the introduction of the Bolt influence the sales of the Volt? At what price difference will the Bolt cannibalize Volt sales?

Of course the E-range of the new Volt will be important too. Exciting day today! If GM didn't screw up, today could be a good days for EV's and that will rub off on Tesla as well.

I have just seen the pics of the new 2016 Volt - I have to say it is a really nice looking car. From the side it looks a bit like a Prius, but overall a lot nicer than both the Prius and the current Volt. Together with the better performance specs and the fifth seat it ought to be at least as successful as it predecessor. Let's hope the mechanics and build quality are just as bullet proof as on the current model.

I like it. When I turn my current Volt (that my wife has been driving since I took delivery of my Model S) in at the end of it's lease in September, I may consider leasing one of the new volts. The ultimate goal is to get her into a Model X, so we are thinking that another lease might be the best way to bridge the gap between turning the Volt in and being able to buy a used/inventory Model X.

2016-chevrolet-volt-reveal-mo-design-1480x520-03.jpg

New Website http://www.chevrolet.com/2016-volt/

I have just seen the pics of the new 2016 Volt - I have to say it is a really nice looking car. From the side it looks a bit like a Prius, but overall a lot nicer than both the Prius and the current Volt. Together with the better performance specs and the fifth seat it ought to be at least as successful as it predecessor. Let's hope the mechanics and build quality are just as bullet proof as on the current model.

Not been totally bullet-proof. They've had bearing problems and some of the early owners have had some pack failures.

Every "real" EV manufacturer has had some kind of issue once they hit the real world. Give it 10 years before we _really_ see the inherent benefits of PEV on reliability.

Last edited:
Yeah... lame compared to the 6 kW OBC on my Leaf and base 10 kW OBCs on all current Tesla-based vehicles.

All-New 2016 Volt: Electric Hybrid Car | Chevrolet has a couple decent marketing videos.

Given the fundamental concept and priorities (don't add cost, focus on range and efficiency) I think that only having small tweak, which basically allows the full benefit of 240V, it isn't suprising. If Gen 2 is successful, then I'd expect something better available for Gen 3.

I'm actually impressed. As a current Volt owner, everything about the new model looks to be better. I was only considering Tesla for my next car in a year or two, but the Chevy Volt just got back in the running. Tesla still holds the lead, but it's all dependent on how things shape up with Tesla over the next year.