Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GM continues to try to stifle competition

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Make no mistake about it, General Motors is behind this. They are fighting the Tesla direct sales model in states all around the country. I saw them in action here in Maryland. Lawmakers had worked out a deal with the Dealers Association to agree to let Tesla open six stores. Then GM came in and messed things up. They “threw a grenade” as the sponsor of the Maryland bill described it. In the end, they had to settle to be allowed only four stores because of GM’s intense lobbying.

Folks, this is a big deal. Bonnie is absolutely right, now is the time to make noise about what GM is trying to do in Indiana. I suggest going to the hearing on Thursday and testifying if at all possible. Stand before the committee and start with the following points:

1. General Motors is the only automobile manufacturer taking this position. Point out that Ford, Fiat Chrysler, Nissan, Toyota, Honda, etc. are not actively opposing Tesla direct sales.

2. If true, point out that the Indiana Dealers Association are not trying to stop Tesla.

3. Remind the committee of all the other states that have taken action to rewrite their laws to specifically allow Tesla’s new business model of direct to consumer sales. The states include, New Jersey, Maryland and others.

On the subject of social media, don’t forget to mention or post to the committee members’ Twitter and Facebook accounts. Here are two that I found,
Citizens4Merritt (@Jim_Merritt) | Twitter
https://www.facebook.com/mikedelph/

If Tesla is appealing to owners in Indiana for help, it probably means they really need it. GM has an army of lawyers and political weight to throw around. Tesla has you.

Lanny

Bravo.

If anyone has details of time and place, please post. Otherwise I'll get the information and post it here.

Dust off your Tesla jacket/hat/t-shirt and be there in person if you can. Even if you don't stand up to testify, being in the audience shows support. It makes a HUGE difference.

There are some other states coming up where help will be needed. I'll be posting about those soon. But right now, let's stop GM in Indiana if we can.

If you want to see what GM's lobbyists argued in Maryland, watch the following video of their testimony before the House Environment and Transportation Committee starting at 36 1/2 minutes.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want to see what GM's lobbyists argued in Maryland, watch the following video of their testimony before the House Environment and Transportation Committee starting at 36 1/2 minutes.

So basically, they couldn't come up with any real reason. It was this way, so it must still be this way. Doesn't matter that the status quo is unfair and helps entrenched automobile manufacturers - there is no real economic way a 3rd party can be a dealership for Tesla.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that's an Urban Legend.

Very interesting article. However, it seems that GM did help to eliminate the electric traction industry, according to this article, and GM was tried, convicted on some areas and acquitted on others.

"In 1949, Firestone Tire, Standard Oil of California, Phillips Petroleum, GM and Mack Trucks were convicted of conspiring to monopolize the sale of buses and related products to local transit companies controlled by NCL."

Of course, it was all good business practice, just as corporations try to influence lawmakers to make laws that help their business. GM and Ford, along with Standard Oil and others, were able to sell products to Germany during WWII. Profit was still acceptable. Lines may be drawn various ways, but business IS business.

"Make no mistake, HB1254 as amended with Amendment #3, will shut down Tesla in the state." Jim Chen, VP of Regulatory Affairs, Tesla Motors

Here is the critical part of HB1254 Amendment #3 - PDF file

ammend3.png

About six Tesla customers and employees testified in opposition to HB1254 as amended with Amendment #3.

At the very end of the video, the chairman states that the committee will only hear testimony from those in favor of the bill next Thursday. This presumably will include GM.

Testimony on HB1254 begins at 2:32:30 in the video archive of the Commerce & Technology Committee, Thursday, Feb. 18. Link to Archive

Screenshot 2016-02-22 07.51.20.png

Lanny

I was seriously considering the Bolt (despite GM's previous shenanigans), just to hold me over until I'm ready for a 3 or S, but this thread is single handedly responsible for GM going back on the sh!t list, permanently.

Bonnie, did you get a response to your tweet from Mrs Barra (or anyone else @ GM)? Tweeting the sponsors might also be interesting.

This is absolutely unacceptable.

I was seriously considering the Bolt (despite GM's previous shenanigans), just to hold me over until I'm ready for a 3 or S, but this thread is single handedly responsible for me putting GM on the sh!t list again, permanently.

Bonnie, did you get a response to your tweet from Mrs Barra (or anyone else @ GM)? This is absolutely unacceptable.

No, no response - and I don't expect to get one. I think they'll refuse to engage. But as of now, just over 15 people have retweeted, so I'm confident that it's been noticed. I'm sure this thread has been noticed, too. And that's good.

In business, I've always subscribed to 'you don't need to hurt the competition, you just need to build a better product'. GM obviously disagrees. In the Maryland video that Lanny posted above, GM stretched the truth, again and again, talking about how they brought the EV-1 to the market (refresh my memory here, didn't GM's crushing of EV-1 form the story line for 'Who Killed the Electric Car'?), their electric cars (you know, the ones with exhaust pipes in the back), the Spark that would 'soon be available in MD' (you know, the compliance car for California), and urging MD to do what 'all the other states have done with grandfathering in existing stores' (let's not mention how many states have no problem with free trade).

I would have LOVED to be on the panel questioning them. Just once. Please. Maybe that's what I should do, ask one of these states to help with the questioning?

I have friends on my fb feed totally outraged by this. They'e always 'bought American'. But GM is no longer on the list. A niece who heads up a military base family support org is sharing with everyone, finding the whole thing distasteful & unAmerican (while also pointing out Tesla's stance on hiring verterans).

Next time they're looking for a bailout, this will not be forgotten. My legislators vote on stuff like that, too, and will be well aware.

No, no response - and I don't expect to get one. I think they'll refuse to engage. But as of now, just over 15 people have retweeted, so I'm confident that it's been noticed. I'm sure this thread has been noticed, too. And that's good.

In business, I've always subscribed to 'you don't need to hurt the competition, you just need to build a better product'. GM obviously disagrees. In the Maryland video that Lanny posted above, GM stretched the truth, again and again, talking about how they brought the EV-1 to the market (refresh my memory here, didn't GM's crushing of EV-1 form the story line for 'Who Killed the Electric Car'?), their electric cars (you know, the ones with exhaust pipes in the back), the Spark that would 'soon be available in MD' (you know, the compliance car for California), and urging MD to do what 'all the other states have done with grandfathering in existing stores' (let's not mention how many states have no problem with free trade).

I would have LOVED to be on the panel questioning them. Just once. Please. Maybe that's what I should do, ask one of these states to help with the questioning?

I have friends on my fb feed totally outraged by this. They'e always 'bought American'. But GM is no longer on the list. A niece who heads up a military base family support org is sharing with everyone, finding the whole thing distasteful & unAmerican (while also pointing out Tesla's stance on hiring verterans).

Next time they're looking for a bailout, this will not be forgotten. My legislators vote on stuff like that, too, and will be well aware.

I do wish Tesla sent this e-mail to everyone, not just people in IN. Press would have picked it up right away, and it might reach people that can help out. Have you reached out to any media outlets?