Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Go Ahead -- Grade my Vanity Plate Idea

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

You mean like this?
upload_2018-7-4_15-55-26.png

I also have the Flux Capacitor to go along with it-- :)

I was also considering:

NO•ROADS

and also

AC•FTW

I'm not sure how many letters I get to play with, but the plate will have my car's name.
Some variation of JULZ VERN

People will think that's your name.

I spent a lot of time trying to think of a vanity plate I liked. All the ones I could think of that I liked were already taken. So in the end I didn't get one. Years ago I had my ham radio call sign on my plate. That does not cost extra (or at least it didn't at the time where I was). You just had to prove it's really your call sign. I could do that again since I've kept my ham license current. But I have not been on the air for almost 25 years, and so I decided against it.

I'd get DANIEL if I could, since that's my name. But it's not available. And I don't like cutesy approximations like DAN1EL or DANIE7.

When I was driving the Zap Xebra there were very few EVs on the road, and when you told someone your car was electric they'd always ask if it was hybrid, because people were just starting to get used to the Prius. So instead of a vanity plate I had a decal made that said in big bold letters: ALL ELECTRIC ALL THE TIME.

Reactions: KJD
Yeah..

OTOH, the french pronounce the name Jul Vern
That might work, and I like the sound of the full name and the way it looks.
Words that end in z rub me the wrong way for some reason.
Are you checking whether any of these are available? JUL VERN is excellent.

Ar you worried that posting it here will give someone a bright idea to quietly snatch it from under you? In the very early days of the web, I was shy to search for clever domain names because I was worried that someone with a visibility to my searches would snatch it and try selling back to me. That was when we believed that grabbing a cool name was guaranteed to make millions. Pets.com and the like.

Well chosen vanity plates take some pain out of mounting the front plates. I have to mount mine if not for CA law, then for the Fastrak transponder. I ordered a vanity plate, but will save the unveiling for when it gets here. I got an MSM and wife talked me into a black plate. I think that was a mistake. I think a black plate looks killer on a black M3, maybe on white. On MSM, I think white plates would have been just the thing.

From the ordering process, it was not obvious whether I am paying for my vanity number AND the black plate separately. They just charged me $40 for the production. The annual fee may be an unpleasant surprise. I wonder if they let me switch to white. Probably another $40 if they even allow it. Maybe I will like the black ones just fine.

I ordered a vanity plate, but will save the unveiling for when it gets here. I got an MSM and wife talked me into a black plate. I think that was a mistake. I think a black plate looks killer on a black M3, maybe on white. On MSM, I think white plates would have been just the thing.

Driving on the highway this afternoon and checking out plates and I found that the black vintage CA plates look good on any dark color. I think you will be happy with the reduced contrast with MSM. Have yet to see the black plates on a red car, TM3 or other, but that is what I have on order.

Nope, 2 is at the end. I did learn that plates can be exchanged for $21.

I did see recently on reddit someone in a different state had 8DYX247.

So today I was able to exchange plates, I am now 8AVG instead of 8DYX. On the bright side I gave all the workers at the local DMV office a good laugh (one lady went around showing all the other workers) and they didn't even charge the $21 due to being offensive.

Now I shall live on being average (AVG).