Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Go Ahead -- Grade my Vanity Plate Idea

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's my plate. Thoughts?
IMG_0185.JPG

Good for her!

I'm surprised they allowed that, I ordered one with "FYOILCO" and our DMV denied it.

Back when the shrub was in the White House, I lived in Fargo and there was a car that was often parked near my apartment that had the license plate FUGB. I was amazed that got approved. I kept hoping to meet the owner to say "Good on ya!" but never did.

I'd be afraid of vandals damaging my car if I had a provocative license plate. Otherwise the obvious one would be ITMFA if it could be gotten.

There was a time when I'd have gotten DANIEL if I'd been able to get it. I could have gotten DANIE1 or DANI3L or DANIEL9 or some such, but decided against it.

I'm surprised they allowed that, I ordered one with "FYOILCO" and our DMV denied it.
If you provide a believable alternative explanation of the plate's meaning in your application, you might be able to get it pass the DMV reviewer. I remember reading a story in the local newspaper years ago of a clergyman who battled with the DMV over his personalized plate: CMFIC. The DMV said it was an obscene term commonly used by military personnel; he countered that it meant, "Clergymen Make Friends In Church". ;)

I'd love to get a plate with a random mix of zeroes and capital Os, but unfortunately California doesn't offer zeros. If they did, it could be fun at traffic ticket court:

"Your honor, this ticket isn't for my car. My plate is 0O0O0O0 not O0O0O0O."

But hizzoner would probably throw me in the can for 30 days for being a wise ass.

If you provide a believable alternative explanation of the plate's meaning in your application, you might be able to get it pass the DMV reviewer. I remember reading a story in the local newspaper years ago of a clergyman who battled with the DMV over his personalized plate: CMFIC. The DMV said it was an obscene term commonly used by military personnel; he countered that it meant, "Clergymen Make Friends In Church". ;)
This piqued my curiosity to try to find this story online. Couldn't find anything from the Anchorage newspapers (where I recall reading this story), but this reprint in the Fairbanks Daily Miner popped up in their scanned newspaper archives:
Fairbanks Daily News Miner Archives, May 1, 1982, p. 5
Personalized plates a 'private joke'

ANCHORAGE (AP)-The puritanical concerns of a bureaucrat notwithstanding. Dave Rogers will be allowed to tool around town in a vehicle bearing license plates which read “CMFIC.” Rogers says that stands for “Clergymen Make Friends in Church ’’ But Bob Rowan, director of the Alaska Division of Motor Vehicles was worried it might be construed as a common— but obscene—military acronym concerning the “chief... in charge.” State Hearing Officer Joseph Balfe agreed Thursday with Rogers, and overruled Rowan’s attempt to recall the personalized plates. Rogers said the clergymen's reference is a private joke between him and his wife. When the state tried to ban his plates, he hired a lawyer and got his hearing.

Reactions: MichaelP90DL