Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Going back to ICE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have to put petrol in the Outlander every three months. The car demands 15 litres of fresh fuel and won’t stop using the ICE until it gets it.
So many knobs and buttons to play with!
Despite being the wife’s car, I always get the job. Last trip to the forecourt, I put the the nozzle in filled up and it had wedged itself in the pipe. Took me 5 mins to wheedle it back out!

Huh? You're all weird. I drive a variety of vehicles; tractor, 6ft ride-on mower, quadbikes, my wife's qashqai and my aged 200sx as well as my S.
They're all different and get driven accordingly.
I love the old 200sx ('93) - it's always got me home even whe it has had problems. It's never left me stuck in a snow drift even if it can slide around on ice like Bambi. I can judge it right and lift off and coast Oh, so very far. It has no nuisance nags or bongs and putting a seatbelt on is up to me. 2 simple sliders and I can have heat or a/c as I want without car deciding to suddenly give a blast of cold air - and in winter i can have it toasty hot inside a quarter mile without worrying about range impacts or where to charge next. Yeah, it's not as fast off the line, there's no cameras or sensors or traction control and you have to drive appropriately if the roads greasy but it's light, nippy, low and fun and it has the original spare tyre and a jack you can stick almost anywhere and flip-up headlight.
if you want true one-pedal driving then have a go on the big mower - same pedal with the heel and you go backwards with zero-turn steering - it's just a bit slow for going shopping <g>
You want real adrenaline pumping excitement? Come and top my steepest slope with the tractor - get that wrong and you'll fill your pants @ 10mph.
As for the S - quick off the line, quiet, plenty elbow room and driver assistance but no door pockets, iffy air con with a mind of it;s own, lots of promises that have never borne fruit and stupid repair costs if the rodents decide to munch on modern soya based wire insulation and plastics - and just to encourage them the battery pack is invitingly warm for a long time so parked with a barn full of bait boxes and electric flooring. And in winter ya have to keep plugging it in or unplugging it to go somewhere 'cos the range drops to pants on twisty roads and hilly hairpins. OK on motorways but otherwse you have to plan a route if goign any decent distance.
Horses for courses

PS - And with my 200sx I have a key - a simple device that can't be hacked remotely, is smaller than a fob, I don't need a phone as backup, I don't need to enter pin codes or worry about battery status. I can also adjust the seat quickly with a couple of instant levers even if the battery is flat...It can be towed, pushed or tow as well..

Last edited:
I wish I could say all of the above, and I can't wait to get back behind the wheel of an EV... For the most part this is true, however having been back in my ICE for what will be 4 months by the time the M3P arrives, there are some aspects which are not dissimilar:

Keyless entry - Ok, I have to carry a key, but I have to carry a key card for the Tesla - no great shakes.
Button start - actually quicker to press 1 button than entering 4 digit PIN

Things I won't miss one little bit:

Filling with Fuel - Diesel is dirty and many forecourts make no effort to keep the pumps clean.
Accelerating - Not giving it beans (my ICE doesn't have any!), but just waiting for the electronics/engine, whatever to catch up with throttle position.
Engine noise/vibration - Whilst not ever so intrusive, it is noticeable.
Buttons and knobs!
"Standard" cruise control - what a PITA

Obviously not an exhaustive list (that's another thing I won't miss of course ;))

Things I will miss:

Well, full disclosure here, the ICE is a 2012 Discovery, I "need" it for 7 seats, dogs, shooting, towing a 1800kg caravan, transporting 5 bikes and camping gear - Until Land Rover produce an all electric and battery tech supports proper towing the Disco is a keeper!

Reactions: Mr H
I'm pretty much vehicle agnostic. Occasionally I get a momentary check of my senses, but muscle memory soon kicks in. Perhaps the biggest sensor check was the end of one of the lockdowns when jumping into the Model 3 for first time in several months it took slightly longer for muscle memory to work out what car I was in. Biggest issues are jumping into any vehicle for first time and a whole lot of new things to get use to, or an adjustment being made to clutch, brakes, regen etc and a few adjustments being needed but they are normally operated by feel anyway so you quickly adjust.

Reactions: Jez_GB
I actually had trouble re-adapting after only doing the Y test drive for 45 minutes! Getting back in the jetta and driving the 3 hrs home was weird.

noise, non linear power... just seemed stupid. LOL Love my little car but...

Wife and I BOTH immediately settled in with regen, that would be the main thing thing that was a BIG difference....