Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Going from a GV80 Genesis......

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I currently have a Gensis GV 80 that I actually like pretty well OTHER than the seat. It's hard as a brick and no amount of modifications I can do to it helps. I've always been interested in the model Y, but haven't jumped on board yet due to the fact that I have seen where they have had squeaks/rattles and a firm ride. However, I have sat in a Tesla before and I really liked the softness of the seat, the way the phone works well with the car, and being able to drive on electricity. And now, I read where they have put in a comfort suspension, and I wonder if now is the time to make the jump.

Therefore, I am going to do a test drive the Tesla model Y tomorrow. I'm a little nervous moving from a car that I relatively like to one that I am totally unfamiliar with. To those of you that have made moves from more traditional luxury cars to the MY, has it been a good transition for you?

I was shopping the GV80 and GV70 before shifting to the EV kick. I love those two cars, and had centered on the GV70 because of its size. I did not want the bigger GV80 since we already have a Palisade for a ICE people hauler. Although I have a Model Y, I am waiting to see what the Electrified GV70 is like, and I could see making that jump back.

The Model Y is simply fantastic. And there is a lot to enjoy, even coming from a plush and spacious GV80. Here are a few of my cautions...
  • The Model Y does not have the killer 3D overhead view and rear cross traffic warning in the Genesis.
  • The ride is a lot stiffer and sportier than the GV80.
  • The technology and frequent updates the Model Y gets will blow your mind (in a great way).
  • Words cannot adequately convey the fun of Tesla acceleration
  • The Performance is even faster, but that comes at the expense of shorter range, staggered tires, and stiffer suspension - I prefer the Long Range with Acceleration Boost
  • The GV80 is a lot bigger than the Model Y, but the Model Y still has great storage. (The GV70 is probably a little bigger than the Model Y.)
  • The minimalist design of the Model Y will probably shock you at first compared to the traditional, plush GV80 interior design.
  • The automation of everything in the Model Y is pretty good overall. There are a few little things I wish had options, but I like far more of it.
  • The one pedal driving in the Model Y will be a shock at first, but it is the way of electric and awesome as soon as you make the adjustment.

Last edited:
I don't know if Tesla still does this, but when I did a test drive in 2021, I signed up for a time slot right before they close for the day. The SA let me take the Model Y home for the night and return the next morning. Tesla test drives is already way better than typical dealership test drives, but having it for an extended period really lets you see if it's something for you. I was completely sold by that extended test drive.

The body and trim build quality is below luxury brands. It lacks detailing and finishing quality.
However, they hide the flaws and cost-cutting well and the overall feel inside and out is very good.
The interior is wild in how different they approached design compared to others, and the absolute lack of detail turns into a "futuristic" minimalist vibe.

The only thing I miss from luxury brands is the lack of detail and finish in manufacturing. If they bring that up to Lexus, Audi, BMW, Merc levels then very little to complain about.

I currently have a Gensis GV 80 that I actually like pretty well OTHER than the seat. It's hard as a brick and no amount of modifications I can do to it helps. I've always been interested in the model Y, but haven't jumped on board yet due to the fact that I have seen where they have had squeaks/rattles and a firm ride. However, I have sat in a Tesla before and I really liked the softness of the seat, the way the phone works well with the car, and being able to drive on electricity. And now, I read where they have put in a comfort suspension, and I wonder if now is the time to make the jump.

Therefore, I am going to do a test drive the Tesla model Y tomorrow. I'm a little nervous moving from a car that I relatively like to one that I am totally unfamiliar with. To those of you that have made moves from more traditional luxury cars to the MY, has it been a good transition for you?
I would not recommend Tesla for your next vehicle. Even with "comfort" suspension, Tesla cars are designed as more sporty setup with stiffer suspension setup than normal car/SUVs.
I suggest you try either GV60 or eTron.

WOW! THIS IS MY EXACT SITUATION!

Picked up my Genesis GV80 in June. On paper, it was perfect. But within the two hour drive home, my butt and back already hurt. I have NEVER had an issue with a seat in a car. Any car. Ever. From a friends 2001 Honda Civic to my 1990 Jaguar, the seat comfort never entered my mind - they were all fine. There is something very wrong with the GV80 seat design. I also tried 5 different seat cushions and none of them fixed the issue.

Dumped it in November.

In fact, I also had a GV70 absolute base model for a year, and NEVER had an issue with seat comfort. So it's not all genesis products.

I was shopping the GV80 and GV70 before shifting to the EV kick. I love those two cars, and had centered on the GV70 because of its size. I did not want the bigger GV80 since we already have a Palisade for a ICE people hauler. Although I have a Model Y, I am waiting to see what the Electrified GV70 is like, and I could see making that jump back.

The Model Y is simply fantastic. And there is a lot to enjoy, even coming from a plush and spacious GV80. Here are a few of my cautions...
  • The Model Y does not have the killer 3D overhead view and rear cross traffic warning in the Genesis.
  • The ride is a lot stiffer and sportier than the GV80.
  • The technology and frequent updates the Model Y gets will blow your mind (in a great way).
  • Words cannot adequately convey the fun of Tesla acceleration
  • The Performance is even faster, but that comes at the expense of shorter range, staggered tires, and stiffer suspension - I prefer the Long Range with Acceleration Boost
  • The GV80 is a lot bigger than the Model Y, but the Model Y still has great storage. (The GV70 is probably a little bigger than the Model Y.)
  • The minimalist design of the Model Y will probably shock you at first compared to the traditional, plush GV80 interior design.
  • The automation of everything in the Model Y is pretty good overall. There are a few little things I wish had options, but I like far more of it.
  • The one pedal driving in the Model Y will be a shock at first, but it is the way of electric and awesome as soon as you make the adjustment.
Thank you! Great points! The stiffer ride is probably what will seal the deal for me. If it isn't too bad, I'm likely to buy the car.

WOW! THIS IS MY EXACT SITUATION!

Picked up my Genesis GV80 in June. On paper, it was perfect. But within the two hour drive home, my butt and back already hurt. I have NEVER had an issue with a seat in a car. Any car. Ever. From a friends 2001 Honda Civic to my 1990 Jaguar, the seat comfort never entered my mind - they were all fine. There is something very wrong with the GV80 seat design. I also tried 5 different seat cushions and none of them fixed the issue.

Dumped it in November.
I knew I couldn't be the only one out there that felt like I did.

Reactions: woolymammoth17

I am moving from a Ford Mustang Mach E to a Model Y.

Don't know if that qualifies as luxury, but I did notice some differences during the test drive.

- The Model Y is stiffer on turns. Could be that it was 'new' and needed to be broke in.

- The Model Y doesn't sit as high as the MME. I'm closer to the ground and this keeps my attention.

- The Model Y cabin is slightly more compact. Driving, the door felt closer to my left arm than in the MME. Enough to notice.

- The tablet in the MY is horizontally oriented. The tablet in the MME is vertically oriented. The MY has a left and a right region, each of which can have a separate app open (i.e. maps and spotify.) The MME can only handle one at a time, I often have to navigate menus to change settings.

- The acceleration in the MY was lower than in the MME. Mostly fine with this, the battery in the MME leaves a lot to be desired.

- The MY is 'louder' than the MME. Road noise can be significant.

- The MY has a better stereo. I was hearing more mids and low end than in the MME.

- Both cars operate as crossovers. The MY had more automated features on doors, gates and whatnot. Everything felt convenient, whereas some of the features in the MME were hard to operate.

- The console in the MME had a circular gear toggle and hazard lights located near the cup holders. The MY has none of this. Found I preferred the MY configuration over the MME because I don't have to mess with tactile knobs and buttons. You may have the opposite impression.

Reactions: woolymammoth17