Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Going to Replace 12v Battery before warning

So would you replace 4yr 12v battery on a 2020 MSP?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think for me, I would wait and see how it goes the first time. It seems there has been a lot of variation with Tesla's various generations of cars, where some seem to be really good at giving a warning on the display ahead of time, and some don't. On my old 2014 S85, I have had to change the 12V battery twice, and they both gave a warning in plenty of time, so I would wait it out on mine. But I have seen plenty of reports here on the forum of it catching people by surprise with no warning, so if that's what your car does, then I might go toward going with a proactive schedule in the future.

Well since I am changing we will never know how long or grace of a dying battery. The vehicle is use a bunch of its time in areas that it would not be convenient or safe to have a dead battery. The $242 for the battery, $285 for a razor blade in sidewall of tire and a change of cabin filter are the only costs that we have accrued in 4 years besides car insurance and annual license fee. Free supercharhing has been a blessing. Planning on ten year extended warranty in Feb.

M

Reactions: Skavatar
Tesla 12V batteries have been a crapshoot for me and as I understand it, the issue may be Tesla's 12V system overcharging the battery. Our first battery lasted 6yrs/60K miles, next battery lasted under 2yrs/30K miles and was replaced by Tesla when the drive unit failed, next battery lasted 2yrs/20K miles. What's crazy is that our 2013 Fiat 500e still has its original Mopar 12V battery after 10.5yrs/90K miles.

I wouldn't replace the 12V until the warning comes on or if I'm reading less than 12.8V from the battery terminal with a multimeter for the sake of sustainability. However, if you're going to be in a situation that would untenable with a dead battery (like driving in cold climate or in an isolated area) then by all means go ahead and replace it.

Reactions: GSP
Ok, there are two primary ways the 12v battery dies. The first is a catastrophic failure, such as an open or short. No one can predict or detect when that might happen, but these are very rare events - but not unheard of. The more common failure is a slow inability to take a charge. This is fairly easy for Tesla to detect as the battery will not retain its charge, and the car has to keep charging it more and more frequently. One symptom of this is your vampire drain starts to go up since the car has to turn on and charge the 12v battery more often. Tesla normally provides a warning that the battery needs to be replaced, and you should have at least 3 weeks to do this (often more time). It's not an outright failure, but it is degrading to the point that it should be replaced. It's not a rush repair either.

My 2016S 12v battery lasted just over 5 years with a clear warning it needed to be replaced. Others have had the warning appear in less time. Part of how long it may last is how much you drive and the temperature conditions. Extreme heat and cold are not your 12v batteries friend. I rarely have temperature extremes, so that likely helps extend the battery life.

• Informative
I proactively replaced my 12v battery in my 2017 MS 100D on its 6th anniversary, with no 12v battery errors. Just felt that I should. I have since repurposed the battery as a UPS backup battery for Starlink router. Battery meter says the battery is 99% healthy with low internal resistance (6milliohms). Guess it is a super-battery that I should have left in the MS for a few more years!

I replace the 12v battery on my boat every 4 years, as having it fail, while out on a cruise, would spoil the day.
If I was traveling in a situation where a dead battery would be unwelcome, then I would also tend to change it out a little early.
This is a known issue with EVs. Tesla has elimimated their legacy 12v lead acids with a more modern 16v Lithium Ion.

A comprimise might be to purchase another 12v and keep it in your car for critical situations. Carry the necessary tools to effect a replacement if yours fails.

Thought Tesla was selling replacement batteries for a little over $100.

Good call on the proactive change. I have a 2018 MS 75D with $28K miles. I just got the dreaded "BMS_XXX" warnings on Dec 22nd. After an immediate drop off at the Tesla SC in Springfield NJ I learned that I need a 12v battery which is now on national backorder. Est. Service Completion Date - Jan 3rd.

Murphy comes for us all.

Reactions: Skavatar
Obviously the question is replace 12V battery on 2020 Tesla MSP. Probably over kill unless it isn't. My middle name is Murphy :)

So would you replace 4yr 12v battery on a 2020 MSP? Estimate is $242 here in NW Florida.

Y/N Only !!

M

Let's look at an analogy, one of the UPSs that you have in your house.

Over time, the amount of uptime that the UPS can provide to your computer (or whatever it is hooked up to) will decrease. And since so many of them are very small to begin with (7 minutes), even 50% degradation can have a significant impact.
If the load is mission critical, you will want to change out the batteries in a UPS before it starts screaming at you. Many data centers have standard maintenance processes that replace batteries every year.

So, do you want to take a chance that you may be on a trip, like to a funeral, and the light comes on and you realize that it may be prudent to get it changed before the trip?
Or do you want to change it when at end-of-life (some people say that lead-acid batteries only get a 3 year life) and before the warning pops up.

Lot of us early Model 3 owners got the pop-up near the same time (I think some new software enabled the message) and immediately scheduled service for the replacement.
I change the battery in mt Model Y, I think at the same time that I swapped the filter (about 3 years) in the car. (Early on the battery, late on the filter)

4yr is a car battery waiting to not be there when you need it.

Yes, Its about $120 at most service centers for the Lead Acid without installation.

Though, I got tired of mine failing yearly and went Ohmmu Lithium last year. Going strong ~45,000 miles later.
Well I talked to Tesla and they said my car could not use a Lith battery. The service menu gives options for Lead Acid, AGM Yellow and AGM Gray.

The labor was $60 and battery was $165. I got to keep the old battery which was nice. I will use it on my work bench for a 12v source.

M

Reactions: ewoodrick