Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gonna bail - anyone else?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Haven't canceled yet but I may after getting a chance to see one at a local store.

I can't justify having an X and an S, and I don't think I want to give up my S (plus ~50 grand) to have an X. That and I think our minivan is likely a more practical vehicle at this point. Passenger and cargo room are pretty important to me these days as I will be using all 7 seats most of the time.

I am looking forward to see the Chrysler PHEV minivan at the NAIAS, hopefully the EV part of it isn't wimpy.

Just leave the bit out about cheap gas, is all I'm saying.

Why should he leave that point out when Tesla themselves use "gas savings" as a marketing ploy. Gas is half the price it was a couple of years ago so this is very much a relevant point. Now is it going to stay low for long? I hope not. gas is too cheap right now.

- - - Updated - - -

Who are you, why are you so important to have to announce this to the world, and why should I care?

Feel free to skip the thread "Gonna Bail - anyone else?" then...

As a lucky owner of a second hand Model S85D all I can say is be patient, this is the peak of automotive tech.

We were thinking about hybrids also, but after my wife experienced the Model S she is sure a BEV SUV is our
next family vacation hauler.

About the only car that even comes close is the XC90, a ground up hybrid, but after Geely fired the Swedish suppliers
quality went downhill, two stop sale orders already?

After reading thread, thinking of 50th Anniversary of Alice's Restaurant, Lyrics by Arlo Guthrie.
(... and no PC police please, his original lyrics, my bold.)

. . .

"You know, if one person, just one person, does it, they may think he's
Really sick and they won't take him.

And if two people do it, in harmony, they may think they're both faggots and
They won't take either of them.

And if three people do it! Can you imagine three people walkin' in, singin'
A bar of "Alice's Restaurant" and walkin' out? They may think it's an
Organization!

And can you imagine fifty people a day? I said FIFTY people a day . . .
Walkin' in, singin' a bar of "Alice's Restaurant" and walkin' out? Friends,

They may think it's a MOVEMENT, and that's what it is: THE ALICE'S
RESTAURANT ANTI-MASSACREE MOVEMENT! . . . and all you gotta do to join is to
Sing it the next time it comes around on the guitar.

Just might be playing this on the std audio system of my MX, when pulling out of the parking lot in Fremont, hopefully sometime next year.

I think I'm going to bail on the X. Very likely I wouldn't be able to get one until mid to late next year (who knows with Tesla at this point) and I've been on the fence about spending $100k+ on a car even though I can afford it relatively easily. I grew up pretty poor and it just seems excessive. Opulence, I has it. Sure, it's a super cool car but in the end it's a mode of conveyance from point A to B. I have a motorcycle to thrill me with acceleration and for the money I won't be spending could add a few more :)

Maybe in a few years. The S sits a little too low for my tastes (plus the $100K thing) so I prolly go another route and observe with interest. Anyone else opting out?

I went from an Acura RDX to a Model S and I was honestly a little worried about it sitting much lower than the SUV. I've not scraped once. Although, I live in a warm weather climate so that is also a factor. (potholes, etc..) Grab a Model S instead!

Waiting on a moving target was quite frustrating. If I was in your financial demographic I'd stick it out.
I bailed on Model S 40 kWh as the date kept slipping and they kept doing press releases about how crippled it would be, battery not swappable, battery pack ballasted with dead weight, no twin/super charger and not sure when we'll deliver none of which turned out to be true. It burned a little when they just gave the 4% the software crippled 60 kWh but a few years later I bought a used S60 with low mileage and got more car for less money. I'm over all of the pain and suffering, the MS is soo choice.

We were on the fence too. I thought about it longer than my husband did. All he heard was EV seats 7 0-60 in 3.2 and he was sold.

We had an early model S reservation so they asked us to configure before we knew much about the car. I'm glad we didn't because we wouldn't have been able to get autopilot. My husband's coworker did and he tried to trade his S in for the X and complains that his has depreciated more than he expected. We transferred to the X reservation because we have 4 kids and tbh just wanted to kick the can down the road since we already had a Porsche 911 as a third car.

We preferred the X over the S because at the time the S did not come with AWD (we live in snow) and the back facing seats would only work for my kids for a limited number of years. We sold the 911-- the battery died because we never drove it. We live in a blue collar city and we felt too flashy in it. That was a waste of money and def a mid life crisis decision which is why I was even more apprehensive about basically buying a $149k electric soccer mom car. However, I do like that the model X blends in with the other crossovers except when you open the doors. And this electric minivan-looking car would make all our friends' $150,000+ weekend ICE sports cars look like dinosaurs comparatively which I find kind of funny. We are on the market for luxury SUV's and they all either do not fit four kids and a hockey bag comfortably or they were gas-guzzling hard-to-drive land boats. The ones that met our needs weren't luxury vehicles. The X is the full package and is a compromise between all our needs. The X being electric is def just a perk for me. I'm not going to pretend that I cared much about the environment before this. I do not currently drive an electric vehicle but I am excited about being more green. Unfortunately we missed the government incentives for solar panels on the house. Then we would have REALLY gone green. We just had our wall charger installed last week. We thought about joining the public charging network and having two installed for free by Tesla but since our electrical set up allowed for easily installion, it only costed $1800 plus the cost of the charger so we decided against it, even though we would love to chat with fellow Tesla owners.

I just joined this forum so I haven't read much and have no idea when we are getting the X. I believe our reservation was in the 2000's. We ordered the P90D and confirmed on 12/11. I went to a Tesla Model S event recently to test drive the auto pilot and it's pretty much what I expected. It does work but not fool proof so I can't exactly watch Netflix on my drive to the city but it's absolutely a step up from cruise control. When I get the car I plan to take the summer off and take a national tour along the super charging stations, heading west, then north, across some national parks, down the east coast, up through TX and back to the Midwest. I'm looking forward to the trip. We plan to lease the X only because we predict by the end of three years there will be more interesting competition that we might want to get. By then we'll have one kid out in college and another kid driving so we might buy an S and judging by our co-workers experience, I don't want to be stuck trying to sell this car. Hoping Tesla will make another roadster-esqe sports car after the Model 3.

Welcome to the forum. Nice first post! If you confirmed a P90D on 12/11, you're pretty early among production P90D confirmations. I'd guess that you might get your car in March or April, assuming they blow through all the Signature orders December-February. Very excited for you and do post some of your thoughts about ownership up on the forum.

A great response. Safety is a huge reason I am willing to withdrawal funds to purchase Model X. I have always wanted an electric car, and the Segway, Volt and Model S were a fantastic start to a maximum acceleration, torque filled, regenerative braking adventure that continues each day I drive electrically.

Thanks for sharing and welcome to the forum!

Thanks, Mark Z!

Truth is, like many I think, I first started following the forum - religiously - about 18 months ago. Just never felt the need to throw my opinion into the hat until this thread caught my eye!

Last edited:
The ironic thing is, my wife is a financial planner and she's all for it. :rolleyes:

You have been listening to your wife for all these years, why are you not listening now?
There are currently more Model X out in the U.S. (ready to be delivered) than those just sitting in the Fremont parking lot ready to be shipped.

Maybe if you test sit in a Model X, that will seal the deal?

Just sayin'

Welcome indeed mx_enthusiast! Great first post!

I'm going to disagree with Mr. Boylan though as I think you'll get your X sooner than March or April. Especially if they ramp up to the predicted 800/week next month. ;-)

At least, I hope so as I haven't configured yet and I'm still hoping to get one in February. Likely wishful thinking on my part!

Cheers!

mx_enthusiast: Unfortunately we missed the government incentives for solar panels on the house. Then we would have REALLY gone green.

What did you miss, Missouri's incentive? The Federal Tax Credit is still in place @ 30% in 2016 and is being extended. That is a healthy incentive.

A Tesla is not for everyone.

1 - Most people cannot afford one (including a few who've bought them). For some, such as my son, they could afford it when they made their res but not now. In his case because he left the investment bank he was with to start his own company and his wife won't even let him spend money on a morning cappuccino (though being a caring parent we gave them a Rancillio Silvia). A guy in our neighborhood just lost his job because the CEO of his company is an idiot and hasn't managed the company well.

2 - They are still a bit bleeding edge for the vast majority of people. Many of us who've bought Tesla's are folks who thrive on change and risk. That's a pretty tiny group. Most people want a bit more certainty and the comfort that comes with it (and that's a very good thing for our communities). A friend of mine is like that. He says that he's a professional 2nd CEO. Four times now he's been brought in by VC's to replace founding CEO's who were the risk takers who built the business.

3 - Finally is real range anxiety (vs perceived range anxiety). Some people's driving is not yet very practical with the current charging infrastructure. Fortunately this is getting better and better every week.

Not all of us are a Bertha Benz. :)

Thanks Mr. Boylan & GoneSkiian. We got the email 11/30 and ordered 12/5 and they confirmed 12/7. I got everything except sound system and towing package and still questioning my decision to forgo those for ludicrous mode, but for that much I was hoping to go 0-60 in less than 2.7 seconds :rolleyes: I feel like I haven't really made it until I can drive that fast LOL

Wish we made the decision sooner if it's based on date and not sequence number. We were waiting for an electrician to come take a look because we wouldn't have gotten an electric car if it meant waiting at the grocery store every time we needed a charge. Elon needs to take the GaAs thin film solar panels from his space crafts and make them into trailers that can hook up to the X :biggrin:

The Canadian customers are going to have a tough time with the poor exchange rate.

In Oct 2013 when I reserved the MX at $130k USD it would have cost $136k CND.
Now it's $171k CND

If the trend continues it's getting harder if not impossible for many to eat that difference.