Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gonna bail - anyone else?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ugh, as the world's biggest Tesla fan, I didn't expect to cancel my Model X order but it looks like that's where I am now. Going in and out of our driveway is tricky even with our tiny little Highlander. We live in attached house in NYC and getting in and out requires navigating around my neighbor's car, backing up next to her car then driving straight up a narrow common driveway with concrete walls on both sides. I confirmed our X order in December but the width has been a nagging concern. So my DS was nice enough to get me a Model S for an overnight test drive from the Mt. Kisco store. Getting the car in and out, even with the backup camera was way too stress-inducing, particularly for my wife, who didn't even want to attempt it. We could fit (barely) with the S, but with the extra 4 to 5 inches of the X, it just wouldn't have been doable. The proximity sensors on the S were almost useless in this situation as they don't have the necessary precision. They kept telling me to STOP in no uncertain terms even though there were still a few inches of clearance. And yeah, the power retracting mirrors do help, but since the back haunches of the S are wider than the front, I had to put the mirrors back out to make sure the back fenders were clearing the wall.

So driving a Tesla was fun while it lasted: taking my hands off the wheel and feet off the pedals on the Grand Central Parkway while Autopilot chauffeured us around, leaving gas-powered cars in the dust at a traffic light, just because I could, geeking out over the massive 17-inch touch-screen control panel and "filling up" just by plugging in. But it looks like I will have to defer those Tesla dreams until they make something smaller (Model 3 or Model Y), or we move. Hey, anyone want to buy a nice 3-BR house in Astoria?

Anyway, I envy you all with the space and am looking forward to owning a skinnier Tesla one day. Peace out!

Would using summon make parking in the space any easier?

Would using summon make parking in the space any easier?
Yeah, I don't think the sensors are fine enough to navigate these tight spaces, even with Summon. On the S, the display kept saying STOP with a loud beep when I still had some clearance. I couldn't test summon because I couldn't pair my app with a car I did not own, but I don't think it would actually do the trick. The trickiest part isn't driving up the driveway - that part we could manage, maybe even with an X (with the mirrors folded). It's backing up at an angle into the small amount of space between my neighbor's car and the wall that is trickier. And that's the only way to make the corner around the wall. That's actually much tighter than the driveway itself. And they already leave about as much space as they can.

Ugh, as the world's biggest Tesla fan, I didn't expect to cancel my Model X order but it looks like that's where I am now. Going in and out of our driveway is tricky even with our tiny little Highlander. We live in attached house in NYC and getting in and out requires navigating around my neighbor's car, backing up next to her car then driving straight up a narrow common driveway with concrete walls on both sides. I confirmed our X order in December but the width has been a nagging concern. So my DS was nice enough to get me a Model S for an overnight test drive from the Mt. Kisco store. Getting the car in and out, even with the backup camera was way too stress-inducing, particularly for my wife, who didn't even want to attempt it. We could fit (barely) with the S, but with the extra 4 to 5 inches of the X, it just wouldn't have been doable. The proximity sensors on the S were almost useless in this situation as they don't have the necessary precision. They kept telling me to STOP in no uncertain terms even though there were still a few inches of clearance. And yeah, the power retracting mirrors do help, but since the back haunches of the S are wider than the front, I had to put the mirrors back out to make sure the back fenders were clearing the wall.

So driving a Tesla was fun while it lasted: taking my hands off the wheel and feet off the pedals on the Grand Central Parkway while Autopilot chauffeured us around, leaving gas-powered cars in the dust at a traffic light, just because I could, geeking out over the massive 17-inch touch-screen control panel and "filling up" just by plugging in. But it looks like I will have to defer those Tesla dreams until they make something smaller (Model 3 or Model Y), or we move. Hey, anyone want to buy a nice 3-BR house in Astoria?

Anyway, I envy you all with the space and am looking forward to owning a skinnier Tesla one day. Peace out!

View attachment 111317
View attachment 111318
Bummer! So sorry to hear!

I know how excited you've been to get your X. This must just be a gutting realization.

Sounds like you just need to buy your neighbors' place so you have more room! ;-)

Yeah, I don't think the sensors are fine enough to navigate these tight spaces, even with Summon. On the S, the display kept saying STOP with a loud beep when I still had some clearance. I couldn't test summon because I couldn't pair my app with a car I did not own, but I don't think it would actually do the trick. The trickiest part isn't driving up the driveway - that part we could manage, maybe even with an X (with the mirrors folded). It's backing up at an angle into the small amount of space between my neighbor's car and the wall that is trickier. And that's the only way to make the corner around the wall. That's actually much tighter than the driveway itself. And they already leave about as much space as they can.

Might it be possible to trade parking spaces with your neighbor?

There is a specific setting to allow summon to navigate tight spaces. But yeah, it looks and sounds like it would be a very tight fit one way or another. Hope it works out for you.

I wonder if a future software update (7.2?) will be able to handle this situation???

Might it be possible to trade parking spaces with your neighbor?
If it were any of the other neighbors, yes. This one? No. Definitely No. Plus even parking directly at the bottom of the driveway, without needing the complicated turn, the S was pretty close to scraping the walls. The X is almost 5 inches wider. I can't subject my wife to this, and she'd be the one doing most of the local driving in it. She was too nervous to even try getting out with the Model S. Also, so often we have to deal with double-parked cars on the narrow streets in Queens - we ourselves have to do this a lot when picking up/dropping off the kids and their friends. Navigating something that's actually wider than a Hummer H2 around these streets isn't a comforting prospect. If the sensors had a higher degree of precision, it might work, but that won't stop my X from getting clipped by other cars when they're trying to get around me. I loved that putting the car in park automatically retracts the mirrors, reducing the width, at least by a few inches. And I fully expect the side view mirrors to be removed entirely (replaced by low profile cameras) once that antiquated regulation is abolished. But I have to deal with what's available now.

When it was just a number on a screen, it seemed like it would work, but when I actually got hands-on with the S, it became clear that I was living in denial. Size matters. Again, I think the X is an amazing vehicle (as is the S). But it just won't work for us in our current living situation.

- - - Updated - - -

Why don't you just move? Sounds like a joke, or sarcasm (?) I assure you, I'm completely serious. :frown:

oh, now I see you are already on it. Good luck!
Not serious about moving. We've been in this place for about 15 years, in the neighborhood for 25. We like it here. The kids like their schools, we're close to my wife's family, etc. Moving just to buy a car is a little too wacky, even for me (and even for this car). At this point, I'm leaning toward waiting for a Model 3 (assuming it's narrower!) and holding onto the Highlander for when we need to haul 7 people around. It would be tight to keep two cars back there, but our *other* neighbors are actually quite friendly and accommodating. :)

- - - Updated - - -

I understand the disappointment, Chris. I know how much you were looking forward to it. Hopefully we see something *amazing* on March 31st..
+1. And hopefully something real and not just photos or renderings. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Looks like my parking area, you should put outdoor carpet on the walls :cool:
They're not my walls!
Oh, you've got gobs of space there! By the way, nice to give your S such a cushy platform. Is that AstroTurf? :)

Does that slope rise up to ground/road level? If it does you could always fill that in to road level and have the slope start in the parking area.
Yes, the driveway does slope up to road level in the front. But that driveway is not my property. In NYC, many houses are attached to other houses on one or both sides. In my case, a block of 5 houses are attached and our house is in the middle. The owner of the property on the end owns the driveway. By law, they must provide access to the other property owners so that we can access our parking spots/garages using this driveway. They can't build out their own house footprint beyond the initial footprint as that would impede our access.

But I don't think your suggestion would be feasible anyway. If the entire driveway were built up to road level, we would need a really steep ramp from there down to the parking spaces/backyards. All of our houses have back doors and garages back there at "ground level." But ground level in the back is about 5-6 feet below ground level in the front. So the gradual slope of the driveway makes sense.

Is anyone else concerned that there are three Model X's on Ebay right now? All of them have very low miles. Do you think this this any indication that people are not loving the car? Also, if there was a high demand you think these cars would sell quickly at even 10,000 or even more over sticker. I was told I am getting my car in the next couple weeks and this certainly makes me have second thoughts... Currently have an S.

Is anyone else concerned that there are three Model X's on Ebay right now? All of them have very low miles. Do you think this this any indication that people are not loving the car? Also, if there was a high demand you think these cars would sell quickly at even 10,000 or even more over sticker. I was told I am getting my car in the next couple weeks and this certainly makes me have second thoughts... Currently have an S.

People just like money.

Is anyone else concerned that there are three Model X's on Ebay right now? All of them have very low miles. Do you think this this any indication that people are not loving the car?
They love the idea of making thousands of dollars by quickly flipping the vehicle they waited for years to buy more than they love the idea of actually owning the car.
They aren't selling their new X because they don't like the car. They like the idea of making a profit.

Car Scalpers. They'll turn a profit and then buy another X.