Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Good backup car to Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you are going to have an old car, get an old pickup. It will be the most useful thing to have.

Hahaha I was just contemplating this. I also have young kids that haven’t experienced the joys of riding in a bed of a truck at highway speeds.

That and how to convince the insurance agent the beater pickup truck is the primary and the model 3 is practically a None planned operational car and should only cost 20 per month to insure. ;)

• Funny
Reactions: ℬête Noire
If you are going to have an old car, get an old pickup. It will be the most useful thing to have.

^^^ This. I bought a $2k T-100 longbed pickup. It's been amazing. We have picked up and dropped off yards of dirt/rocks for yard work. Made countless trips to the dump. I even brought a 6 person hot tub in it. I also surf 3 times a week and load the surfboards in it. I can't think of a more useful car for the money. It's lasted over a year and I feel I've already got my money's worth out of it, even if it were to die today.

• Love
Reactions: MXWing
Trailer hitch & a small trailer for your Model 3 will likely improve your outlook since no insurance required.

Vampire Drain = ZERO: 2014 Chevy Spark EV (tested over 3.5 months during cold! winter). There may be other EVs without VD.
--

^^^ This. I bought a $2k T-100 longbed pickup. It's been amazing. We have picked up and dropped off yards of dirt/rocks for yard work. Made countless trips to the dump. I even brought a 6 person hot tub in it. I also surf 3 times a week and load the surfboards in it. I can't think of a more useful car for the money. It's lasted over a year and I feel I've already got my money's worth out of it, even if it were to die today.

You should of gotten a set of those $1,500 Tesla surfboards to go with your $2,000 truck. :)

Reactions: xpitxbullx
I have absolutely loved my 2012 base model Volt. Hardly ever had to put gas in it, and because it's a hatchback, I could load at least a dozen boxes per trip when I moved recently. I bought it used for a song, and it came pre-scratched. Now that I have my Model 3, I really don't need it, but if I needed a second car, I'd definitely keep it.

I've kept my 2000 Land Rover Discovery (190,000 miles) as a backup car. It doesn't cost much to maintain. It's "free" (paid off). It's good for hauling stuff, deep snow. We use it primarily when we need to have a second car. No worries leaving it at the airport, etc.
For insurance, I use Metromile. They charge by the mile and since we don't drive it much, it only costs a few hundred dollars a year.

I've kept my 2000 Land Rover Discovery (190,000 miles) as a backup car. It doesn't cost much to maintain. It's "free" (paid off). It's good for hauling stuff, deep snow. We use it primarily when we need to have a second car. No worries leaving it at the airport, etc.
For insurance, I use Metromile. They charge by the mile and since we don't drive it much, it only costs a few hundred dollars a year.
Well, that can definitely go places a Model 3 can't.