Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Good used stories?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m waiting delivery on a 2016 90D and in the process of getting my checklist prepared I’m only reading horror stories of thoroughly misrepresented cars and terrible customer service experiences and my anxiety is growing by the hour. Has anyone had a good experience that they can relate. Would be great to k ow it’s possible. Thanks!

I’m waiting delivery on a 2016 90D and in the process of getting my checklist prepared I’m only reading horror stories of thoroughly misrepresented cars and terrible customer service experiences and my anxiety is growing by the hour. Has anyone had a good experience that they can relate. Would be great to k ow it’s possible. Thanks!
My experience was very pleasant. Here is my story - Just joined the Tesla family!!!! Just got a 2016 MS 75D

9 months later and I still make excuses to go out for a drive and can't stop grinning.

Is it possible? Sure. Anything is possible. Based on the numbers though it's not likely. I bought three used Model S directly from Tesla and every single experience was just awful. Never again. Bought my most recent used Model S from a private party and it SUCH a better experience. The way buying a used car should be.

i bought a "new" (never titled) 2017 90D from Tesla last december. Had 1200 miles on it. Was like new when I picked it up. All went very smoothly. May have helped that I went through a close friend's (who had 20 referrals and was a early buyer of an X some years ago) sales person who found what I was looking for in their inventory (wasnt on the website). Was shipped about 150 miles to me, picked it up 5 days after my online deposit was put down. Only issue was FUSC and EAP wasnt enabled, despite it being listed on my sales contract paperwork. That was resolved very easily/quickly.
Have also had a few SC warranty visits (leaking rear air spring, and a few upfront rattles that were resolved by properly torquing bolts, glove box that had lining coming loose/replaced entire glovebox) where I received a model S loaner each time without asking.

OP is a victim of FIA (Forum Induced Anxiety). Caused by reading forum posts.
One person will post that they had a problem, and everybody begins to fear that they will have that problem as well. People with good experiences usually do not rush to their keyboards, but someone with a scratch on their bumper will obsess over that scratch. Soon everyone will be rushing out to their garages to see if they have that scratch as well.

Best to take a deep breath and remember we are just buying an automobile, not a piece of investment grade art. Cars do not usually come perfect and the closer you inspect...the more you will find.

Everybody wants a perfect car and a perfect buying experience, but these days they are hard to come by.

For a reality check, I went over to the Corvette forums to see how their vaunted C8 mid engined supercar is coming along. OMG...IT'S WORSE over there. New owners are getting millions of hits on their blogs about quality issues. A slightly long bolt is scratching a door panel, the engine sounds flat, the targa roof is a nightmare to put back on, and you need to go from side to side to press it down instead of it just easily clicking into place. Fit and finish is poor (sound familiar). Panel gaps are not even, and even worse from side to side. There are measurable differences between panel fittment on one side than the other. There are evidence marks that the doors were refitted after painting etc. Tires did not come accurately inflated from the factory...DANGER DANGER!

Same as over here, new owners seemed to be gleeful to find a flaw that they can post about and get their 15 minutes of fame.

On a more positive note, just like here, while some will obsess over some orange peal in their paint, a chip or nick or dust particle, most say that once behind the wheel, the driving experience is still fantastic. People get past the little things and begin to enjoy their new cars.

This does not take away from the reality that some buyers end up with worse cars and some end up with better cars, but overall Tesla satisfaction surveys are better than most.

• Informative
Reactions: E Dizzle
OP is a victim of FIA (Forum Induced Anxiety). Caused by reading forum posts.
One person will post that they had a problem, and everybody begins to fear that they will have that problem as well. People with good experiences usually do not rush to their keyboards, but someone with a scratch on their bumper will obsess over that scratch. Soon everyone will be rushing out to their garages to see if they have that scratch as well.

Best to take a deep breath and remember we are just buying an automobile, not a piece of investment grade art. Cars do not usually come perfect and the closer you inspect...the more you will find.

Everybody wants a perfect car and a perfect buying experience, but these days they are hard to come by.

For a reality check, I went over to the Corvette forums to see how their vaunted C8 mid engined supercar is coming along. OMG...IT'S WORSE over there. New owners are getting millions of hits on their blogs about quality issues. A slightly long bolt is scratching a door panel, the engine sounds flat, the targa roof is a nightmare to put back on, and you need to go from side to side to press it down instead of it just easily clicking into place. Fit and finish is poor (sound familiar). Panel gaps are not even, and even worse from side to side. There are measurable differences between panel fittment on one side than the other. There are evidence marks that the doors were refitted after painting etc. Tires did not come accurately inflated from the factory...DANGER DANGER!

Same as over here, new owners seemed to be gleeful to find a flaw that they can post about and get their 15 minutes of fame.

On a more positive note, just like here, while some will obsess over some orange peal in their paint, a chip or nick or dust particle, most say that once behind the wheel, the driving experience is still fantastic. People get past the little things and begin to enjoy their new cars.

This does not take away from the reality that some buyers end up with worse cars and some end up with better cars, but overall Tesla satisfaction surveys are better than most.
I'm not talking about panel gaps or paint flaws that you need a microscope to see. I'm talking about the poorest organization and customer service from such a large company that I've ever seen. The worst part is that it's systemic. It's not a few exceptions like most other car manufacturers either. Instead it's the way that the manual says things should be done from the very top. At least with those Corvette problems if you have issues you have somebody in your corner to help you. Good luck even talking to a human being if you have similar problems with Tesla.

Definitely aware that most people that are posting about their experience are going to be negative and that's why i was asking for some positive stories. At this point, my 'sales advisor' didn't respond to any of my emails yesterday until i got an auto reply this morning that he is now OOO today and tomorrow. Im in the bay area and the car is in southern california. If it weren't for COVID i would just go get it myself but don't really want to get on a plane right now. I have no idea how long it's going to take to get it to me and the lack of communication when spending that much money is already not encouraging but I was prepared for that given their terrible reputation for communication (or lack thereof) and customer service. I'm just hoping to get it into my possession soon and with as few "issues" as possible. Thanks again everyone.

True. Tesla is trying to be the worlds most efficient auto manufacturer. They want to survive and to that end, this is a good thing.

Most of the newer companies are reducing interpersonal communications to minimum. Not easy to just call up someone (for free) at apple, amazon, Salesforce, Federal Covid funding, DMV, etc.

I understand that people don't like this. They want constant back an forth with any issues that come up. They want to know every little detail and spend hours digging up information. They want their calls and emails immediately returned. They want perfectily accurate information and clarity about the inner workings of major companies. Usually they also want everything for free.

If we have a problem, we not only want to know how it is going to be fixed, but why it happened in the first place. What the company is going to do to see that it never happens again and an applogy with compensation that it ever happened to us.

We are a demanding bunch. We want immediate gratification, to hold people responsible for any slight. Our standards are high, and we are great at inspecting for flaws and slights. We are easily offended, slow to forgive and delight in holding other peoples feet to the fire!

We want lots of well trained, up to date, engaged and empowered individuals at out beck and call to take care of things for us. They need to be attentive, great at following up, and never dropping the ball. They need to be well drilled on all corportate policies and using them to address our needs.

We want the latest (free) software sooner than everyone else, and it better work flawlessly (to our needs) with no glitches of faults.
They better be smart, humble, available and on our side. They should also be empowered to offer us some compensation for our troubles.

They should be held to account for any tweet or quote from their CEO. Know every detail of our individual configuration, including any modifications we have made ourselves. They should know what parts our cars will take to effect service, and make sure that every one of those parts is in stock at the service center before we arrive.

Don't even get me started on our high standards for the service centers. They should be perfect and standing by at all times to take care of what ever complaint we may have about our individual cars needs. If they offer a courtesy wash, they must be at the standards of a high end detail shop and provide a show class finish with never a swirl mark.

Of course I am going overboard about this, but for some it is kinda accurate. A we want it ALL and we want it NOW! attitude just ends up in frustration and disappointment.

Is it possible? Sure. Anything is possible. Based on the numbers though it's not likely. I bought three used Model S directly from Tesla and every single experience was just awful. Never again. Bought my most recent used Model S from a private party and it SUCH a better experience. The way buying a used car should be.
I fully respect your position and don't want to come across as being confrontational or anything like that. What I'm curious about is why did you purchase your second and third Tesla from Tesla after your first awful experience?

What I don't understand is why you did that and then continue to talk about it - it almost sounds as if you were forced to buy only from Tesla. Again, I'm just curious and not trying to insult you in any way.

Definitely aware that most people that are posting about their experience are going to be negative and that's why i was asking for some positive stories. At this point, my 'sales advisor' didn't respond to any of my emails yesterday until i got an auto reply this morning that he is now OOO today and tomorrow. Im in the bay area and the car is in southern california. If it weren't for COVID i would just go get it myself but don't really want to get on a plane right now. I have no idea how long it's going to take to get it to me and the lack of communication when spending that much money is already not encouraging but I was prepared for that given their terrible reputation for communication (or lack thereof) and customer service. I'm just hoping to get it into my possession soon and with as few "issues" as possible. Thanks again everyone.

Usually sales people do not have real time information as to when your car will reach it's final destination. Instead of just giving you constant (and inaccurate) updates they will find it more efficient to just wait till they get notified that it is ready and been through inspection before contacting you and arranging for your pickup.

From what I can tell, they assist in configurations. Can advice buyers which configurations might be already on the ground or in stock, and which are going to be delayed. They try to match up orders with available cars and coordinate logistics and transportation.

Once that is done, they usually go radio slience until the car is actually ready for delivery and finalize payment.

They get crazy busy just before EOQ pushes to make their numbers, but othertimes are often tasked with other, higher priority duties that may take them away from direct customer contact. I have seen them shuttling cars from storage to service or delivery centers, restocking coffee machines, Imagine they may also assist the service guys when they get overloaded.

Tesla will try to keep each employee at his most valuable tasks. Sometimes that will mean they are off the phones/computers with customers and doing other essential duties.

In between they do not do back and forth chit chat and "is it here yet" quiries..

Tesla seems to be forcing most all communications to the internet. They will batch a bunch of inquires, then put a bunch of people on them. Once done they will go quiet until they get a bunch more.

You can see from just forum posts here, that people have lots of time on their hands (me included) and tend to be open to lots of highly detailed discussions. Most, or course, lead to nowhere :)

True. Tesla is trying to be the worlds most efficient auto manufacturer. They want to survive and to that end, this is a good thing.

Most of the newer companies are reducing interpersonal communications to minimum. Not easy to just call up someone (for free) at apple, amazon, Salesforce, Federal Covid funding, DMV, etc.

I understand that people don't like this. They want constant back an forth with any issues that come up. They want to know every little detail and spend hours digging up information. They want their calls and emails immediately returned. They want perfectily accurate information and clarity about the inner workings of major companies. Usually they also want everything for free.

If we have a problem, we not only want to know how it is going to be fixed, but why it happened in the first place. What the company is going to do to see that it never happens again and an applogy with compensation that it ever happened to us.

We are a demanding bunch. We want immediate gratification, to hold people responsible for any slight. Our standards are high, and we are great at inspecting for flaws and slights. We are easily offended, slow to forgive and delight in holding other peoples feet to the fire!

We want lots of well trained, up to date, engaged and empowered individuals at out beck and call to take care of things for us. They need to be attentive, great at following up, and never dropping the ball. They need to be well drilled on all corportate policies and using them to address our needs.

We want the latest (free) software sooner than everyone else, and it better work flawlessly (to our needs) with no glitches of faults.
They better be smart, humble, available and on our side. They should also be empowered to offer us some compensation for our troubles.

They should be held to account for any tweet or quote from their CEO. Know every detail of our individual configuration, including any modifications we have made ourselves. They should know what parts our cars will take to effect service, and make sure that every one of those parts is in stock at the service center before we arrive.

Don't even get me started on our high standards for the service centers. They should be perfect and standing by at all times to take care of what ever complaint we may have about our individual cars needs. If they offer a courtesy wash, they must be at the standards of a high end detail shop and provide a show class finish with never a swirl mark.

Of course I am going overboard about this, but for some it is kinda accurate. A we want it ALL and we want it NOW! attitude just ends up in frustration and disappointment.

I find almost none of your post to be accurate and it seems that your mindset of people who are having problems as impossible to please because the problem is with their expectations. The problem isn't Tesla but their expectations of what customer service should be. Tesla is offering great customer service for 99% of the customers and only that 1% can't be pleased because they will never be pleased and therefore their complaints aren't valid. This couldn't be further from the truth because the customer service I expect is akin to the most basic of customer service I receive from just about every other entity out there. Basic.

I don't expect heroic efforts and white glove treatment at all. Never have. Never will. I'm overly patient and I give endless chances. I don't think everything should be flawless and mistakes are the sign of a bad company. I expect there to be mistakes & only grade customer service on how mistakes are handled. That said, the mistakes are numerous and the lack of service they are addressed with is unsettling and consistent. To say that Tesla's customer service has gone downhill is akin to saying that Michael Jordan was a basketball player.

This is a common theme with your posts though and it amazes me how you don't understand that having ZERO way to talk to a human being in your customer service dept could lead to poor customer experiences. Yeah, it's all our fault for having a defective car or a paperwork issue... two examples of items the customer has zero control over and is beholden to Tesla to address. It couldn't possibly be that Tesla has poor customer service.

It's pretty obvious to anyone that they once had industry-leading customer service. This was a wonderful time to own a Tesla and anyone could see how much better it was than most other car manufacturers. Why is it that we can't possibly see the flip side to that coin though? Those who now recognize the opposite to be true through first-hand experience are just haters... it's not possible to see the systematic failure of customer service.. just the good. Years ago it's down slide surpassed typical car manufacturer customer service. They didn't ramp up the customer service to match the sales and now the common theme is not enough employees who are all expected to do the job of 15-20 people and the result is poor customer service. Now it's in a free-fall and doesn't even rate with the customer service you can expect to receive from just about any item at any price point.

But that's not Tesla's fault, right? As a consumer, we should just be happy with six-figure-cars that just sit in the garage inoperable for weeks/months on end with no contact from Tesla, right? Because expecting more is just unfair to Tesla and they can't possibly please everyone, right? We're the problem, not Tesla.

Seeing you in the increasing number of "unhappy about Tesla for legitimate reasons" threads as their #1 apologist is getting old. You disregard everyone's experience as them being picky because it's the only way you offer up a debate to what they're saying. The day you have a REAL issue that you need service with is the day you will see what we've all been saying is how it actually is and not just the ravings of people with expectations that can't be met.

Reactions: SilverGS
I fully respect your position and don't want to come across as being confrontational or anything like that. What I'm curious about is why did you purchase your second and third Tesla from Tesla after your first awful experience?

What I don't understand is why you did that and then continue to talk about it - it almost sounds as if you were forced to buy only from Tesla. Again, I'm just curious and not trying to insult you in any way.

Honestly, I truly thought that the first one was an exception to the rule. Everyone at Tesla assured me at every step that this was an anomaly and they deeply apologizes as this never happens, shouldn't happen and would be rectified. It never was. The second one was more of the same. It verified everything that the occurred with the first one was systemic and not just an exception to the rule. It was a sequel to the first horror film. For as good as the cars are the customer service is equally bad. That's saying something because the cars themselves are incredible.

The fact of the matter was that if you wanted a used Model S that wasn't wrecked or otherwise shady you had to buy a CPO from Tesla because the scams being run on the used market using Tesla Model S cars was alarming. I searched high and low and countless dealership cars across the country lead to the same dead end that would have lost me thousands in value had I taken delivery w/o seeing something or some things they went to great efforts to disguise. Those cars all sold to people who thought they were getting a "clean" car for a good deal. Now that Tesla's sales/service is trash, they remove features and functions from cars that were already paid for and they no longer even do the CPO program you can't be sure you're not getting a shady car directly from Tesla now so... what's the point?

Then, after years of hearing posts from people like "Uncle Paul" here about how great Tesla was and they just had a couple of hiccups and even Uncle Elon himself admitting that they were aware of how poor their customer service was during an earnings call and agreeing that it was unacceptable and they were focusing their resources on fixing it... I tried one. Last. Time. I didn't want to believe that Tesla was a dumpster fire and this was something they would address. It was just a sign of growth and they had every intention to rectify it it just got away from them a little bit. Nope. This is just how they do things at Tesla. Now I waste my time posting this crap on public forums to try to inform those who haven't yet experienced Tesla and have no reason to not buy the crap that people like Uncle Paul are peddling.

It's the new age wave of customer service where you basically offer none and hope the angry people go away on their own. Well, Tesla will get it's wish and now that competition is finally on it's way we'll see a mass exodus from Tesla once something, ANYTHING else is available. But hey, this has been their plan all along, right? They just wanted to accelerate the transition to sustainable energy transportation. I guess once all of the big boys transition over to EV they're done, right? We were never the mission and I guess we shouldn't have read anything more into that mission statement.

I just bought a 4th used Model S and it was a private party. The experience was SO much better. I can't tell you how awful the used car experience is with Tesla and the few positive posts you are are the exception, not the rule.

I have no problem with Tesla wanting to be the most efficient car company in the world. I believe in maximizing technology and integrating it into business operations while standardizing processes, training staff, measuring results, and making adjustments for optimization. Communication can also be done effectively through technology and standardization. I have had a successful career helping challenged organizations do these things. With all of that said, if a company wants to rely on technology and process integration to achieve efficiency and effectiveness, they need to do it right, test the end to end experience, and make sure it works as intended. You can’t just claim victory without making it work. To do otherwise results in unintended consequences and eventual demise.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ostrichsak
I have no problem with Tesla wanting to be the most efficient car company in the world. I believe in maximizing technology and integrating it into business operations while standardizing processes, training staff, measuring results, and making adjustments for optimization. Communication can also be done effectively through technology and standardization. I have had a successful career helping challenged organizations do these things. With all of that said, if a company wants to rely on technology and process integration to achieve efficiency and effectiveness, they need to do it right, test the end to end experience, and make sure it works as intended. You can’t just claim victory without making it work. To do otherwise results in unintended consequences and eventual demise.
I couldn't agree more. If Tesla was amazing at solving problems I would have zero issue with the method by which they achieve those results. In fact, I prefer online chat, email and text messages to having to talk to somebody on the phone.

I bought two Teslas (a used 85D and a new/demo 100D). Both times the experience was perfectly fine. In the case of the 85D, the car looked like it just rolled off the showroom floor and there was not a single thing wrong with it (was fully detailed/cleaned). My only gripe (and I am really stretching) is that when I was taking delivery, the woman who was having me sign the papers was kind of disinterested in my being there and I felt like she was just trying to get me out the door.

Both times from the point I put down the deposit until I took delivery was 10 days. Both cars I had all the title/registration materials in less than 20 days. Both times I only had to hand my packet to the DMV and did not need anything else.

In the few instances I needed service, the service center was responsive, available via text and email.

My experiences may or may not have been the norm but it's important to note that not everyone has a bad experience.

I also bought a used '16 S 90D from Tesla. Had no problems. Advisor walked me through everything for purchasing. There were a couple minor issues when car arrived (being a used model) but my Tesla SC was very helpful with fixing them. Also had a couple of minor things pop up and the SC has been great with service.
There's always a Grumpy Gus that likes to post negative things, but overall I think most people are very happy with their Teslas. Otherwise they won't be selling like hotcakes.

I also bought a used '16 S 90D from Tesla. Had no problems. Advisor walked me through everything for purchasing. There were a couple minor issues when car arrived (being a used model) but my Tesla SC was very helpful with fixing them. Also had a couple of minor things pop up and the SC has been great with service.
There's always a Grumpy Gus that likes to post negative things, but overall I think most people are very happy with their Teslas. Otherwise they won't be selling like hotcakes.
If you went through what I went through three times you'd be grumpy too.