Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Social Media and Posts on here starting to give me anxiety.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Kyle Conner buys a lot of cars. Maybe not as many as Jay Leno but still a lot. Kyle's bought a number of Teslas and he is thrilled with the delivery experience they provide.

Dealerships Take Note, This Is How It Should Be!
Tesla Model 3 Performance Delivery Experience

Personally, I had to take my car in for service once. It was a very positive experience. Everyone was nice and polite. They treated me really well and they fixed a few minor extra things for free. They kept me informed of what was going on. They offered me loaner cars and they gave me a little conference room all to myself. Then they charged up my car so I wouldn't have to stop for charging on my 2.5 hour trip back home. A++

Reactions: 42M3
I have a Model 3 on order and decided to look on Social Media and on here to get a sense of how Delivery would go. I fell down a rabbit hole of horror stories and terrible Service Center experiences and am now I am starting to second guess even going through with purchasing the car. I know there are a lot of people on Social Media that like to put down Tesla. But as a first time buyer it has definitely given me anxiety about what is to come. Then I happen to find your post which has made me feel some what better. But I am still questioning in my mind if this is going to be a good choice. Hopefully everything goes smoothly.
I think the average Tesla customer has lower tolerance criteria for what passes, and several other high end vehicles in their garage to compare to, hence some of the stories. Me, I plan on using this and therefore some issues are trivial.

I have had my M3 since May 2020. Delivery experience was great, the car has been great, and my one interaction with service has been great. My pickup experience was not typical because I picked up in Chicago (1.5 hour drive from my house) during COVID. I did not see any Tesla employees. Everything was handled through a phone call and them remotely unlocking the car when I arrived. I was able to inspect the car and everything looked great. I found no quality issues at all. My paperwork was inside the car to sign. I signed and was instructed to drop it though a slot in the showroom door. I had talked to the sales rep on the phone the evening before and they knew I had a 100 mile drive so they made sure it was fully charged for my drive home.

The car has been the best vehicle I have ever owned and although it's almost three years old, I'm excited to drive it every time as if it were a new car. I have had NO issues at all with the car. I have heard the horror stories about the paint being thin, easily damaged, etc, so I take extra care with it. I only wash by hand or take to a touchless car wash during the winter, but the car still looks great. I wax it a couple times a year, but never used paint protection film. I think the car still looks brand new. And being a 2020, it has the beautiful chrome door handles and accent trim instead of that ugly black chrome delete! (I know this opinion isn't popular, but I'm a middle aged man who thinks cars need a little chrome. Go ahead and laugh at me.)

My only interaction with service was to take it to a service center for the two year service. Since I live in a snowy area, it is recommended to have the brake calipers cleaned and lubricated. I used the app to make an appointment for that service plus the cabin air filter change and brake fluid check. (I know I could do those myself, but decided to let Tesla do it along with the brake service.) Communication through the app was great. I had to drive almost two hours to the service center, but they gave me a Model X as a free loaner so I could get lunch and kill time at a local mall. The service only took 1.5 hours, cost $160, and they fully charged it for my drive home.

I couldn't be happier with the car. Don't be discouraged by negative reviews. I think most Tesla owners love their cars. Of course people are not going to post on a message board to say they are still not having any complaints, so all you hear are the bad stories or people looking for solutions to their issues.
Good to know about no PPF. I do not plan on getting PPF either, just hand washing and maybe a at home ceramic coating, as I cannot justify the price for a daily car. Specially considering rock chips were not even considered when getting the value of either car I’ve traded in the past.

Reactions: Jsch223
I think it makes sense to be informed so that you know what to expect and how to address any issues that might arise. But that doesn't mean you'll have issues. Knowledge is power, right? It's a great driving experience; it certainly has been for me. Just be an informed consumer.

OMG! Stay away from social media. Period.

I'm reading "Fall; or, Dodge in Hell: A Novel" by Neal Stephenson and wanted to share this quote with you regarding social media.

"But one of the Miasma’s perversities was that it made otherwise sane people like him—people who had better things they could have been doing—devote energy to arguing with completely random ****wits, many of whom probably didn’t even believe in their own arguments, some of whom weren’t even humans."

I have a Model 3 on order and decided to look on Social Media and on here to get a sense of how Delivery would go. I fell down a rabbit hole of horror stories and terrible Service Center experiences and am now I am starting to second guess even going through with purchasing the car. I know there are a lot of people on Social Media that like to put Tesla down. I mean some of them were clearly fake or lying. But I found a lot on here that seem truthful. As a first time buyer, it has definitely given me anxiety about what is to come. Does anyone have a great experience they can share? Are the bad experiences the norm? Hopefully everything goes smoothly.
First, DON'T believe everything you read on the inter-webs to be true. Tesla quality is drastically improved over the years and on par with other MFG - quality similar to my ICE SUV - 2021 Acura RDX Spec SHawd.

Most of the negative & fear based reviews fall in three categories:
1) YouTubers/social media channels - wanting to get "clicks" so they get paid more. It's their form of "click-bait", and notice that 99% of them bought and kept their Tesla's - that tells you the truth.
2) Super high expectations that a mass produced vehicle will be perfect and flawless - which they are not! However, Tesla quality is very good - otherwise they wouldn't be selling a lot of vehicles.
3) See/read IMO "dumb pre inspection multi-page lists" to quality control every aspect of your new vehicle - like you know what is in tolerance and what is not? If it's obvious - then have your SA come out and see it. Example - Most of the panel gaps people see are the way the vehicle is designed and when not - they will fix it. Other minor issues are prevalent in every mass produced car. It's all about realistic "expectations".

Then there are all the people telling you you need to spend thousands on professional PPF and ceramic coating. Like you have to allocate another $3k-$8k on a depreciating asset? Nope - you have other options that work just as well and easy on the wallet/purse (a good spray on ceramic coating, RainX and some tire shine for less that $50 works amazing) - while keeping you vehicle looking amazing for years (if you keep it that long).

After purchase items that increase driving pleasure: Ceramic Window tint (reduces the greenhouse effect and AC usage during the summer months) and some good floor mats.

What you are buying is EV technology that is superior in many ways to the competition. A robust charging infrastructure that has amazing uptime and zippo complexity. A vehicle that is made very well - but not perfect.

Last edited:
Good to know about no PPF. I do not plan on getting PPF either, just hand washing and maybe a at home ceramic coating, as I cannot justify the price for a daily car. Specially considering rock chips were not even considered when getting the value of either car I’ve traded in the past.

I don't have PPF either, but have several chips of paint missing from the rocker panels. Instant torque makes that *real* easy to do. If you plan on punching it at all, either be prepared to live with missing chunks of rocker panels paint, or get the rocker panels PPF'd on day one.

I have a Model 3 on order and decided to look on Social Media and on here to get a sense of how Delivery would go. I fell down a rabbit hole of horror stories and terrible Service Center experiences and am now I am starting to second guess even going through with purchasing the car. I know there are a lot of people on Social Media that like to put down Tesla. But as a first time buyer it has definitely given me anxiety about what is to come. Then I happen to find your post which has made me feel some what better. But I am still questioning in my mind if this is going to be a good choice. Hopefully everything goes smoothly.

Yeah, there sure are a lot of complainers on the interwebs. My car was perfect, and I had to drive 7 hours to pick it up. Actually... they weren't even sure it would be there on time... we had to just take the chance and drive there. Stayed in a hotel, drove to the Tesla store the next morning and left with the new car in less than an hour.

I've had it for 25 months and still enjoy driving it every time. Congrats on the new car!

Please remember its just a car, a very sweet car. In the old days
I would get under the car to look for oil leaks. Had my delivered in
a light rain. As of about 2020 the cars were solid. You can find an exception
for any car. It is a sweet ride. Have fun.

Reactions: Evpowerdan
My purchase was in 2019 it was cool. At that time they gave mobile chargers and the bag was empty. So they put one there when I pointed it out. Other than that easy.

Forums will attract negative post. Same with goog reviews. You’ll get positive experience or negative experience but not middle of road experience

I do notice Tesla build quality hasn’t improved. My friends model 3 has quality issue on the door seals. Same as my car.

I fell down a rabbit hole of horror stories and terrible Service Center experiences and am now I am starting to second guess even going through with purchasing the car.
Don't purchase the car. If you want the "white glove" experience from a dealer, buy a Lexus, Mercedes or Porche. Picking up a Tesla from a Service center is more akin to picking up your iPhone from an apple store. Get it, get out.

Don't purchase the car. If you want the "white glove" experience from a dealer, buy a Lexus, Mercedes or Porche. Picking up a Tesla from a Service center is more akin to picking up your iPhone from an apple store. Get it, get out.
I guess someone woke up on the wrong side of the crank shaft. I bought a "s" class Mercedes in Dallas.
the guy that handed it over could not turn on the radio. The trunk and sun roof failed and did the
electronics were somewhat done. The air shocks broke and the car rusted out in 8 years. I did love
that car.
Who cares, it did not change the color of my eyes.
Get your new car and have fun.

It seems you are well educated on the subject. I too was new to buying a model 3 and mine experience was good.
I did not find anything major wrong with the car with the panel's alignment. I did find inside the car, around the pillar one of the panels is not aligned but its in the back. I did have a few add things happen to me, but nothing that was a deal breaker... My daughter closed the back door a bit to hard and the panel popped off, but I popped it back in with no issues... the Panel behind my seat also popped off but I also was able to pop it back in. This all happened the first week of ownership and it did not happen again.
I think it is almost impossible to find all panels perfectly aligned. I think if you find anything off by a millimeter or two is fine.
I think if you find something off by a 1/4 inch or more especially a glass panel make the tough decision to walk away. From what I read most likely they won't realign the glass and you would have to live with it, so better wait for a new one, IMO. Please be warned about the glass they will tell you they will take care of it but they won't so walkway.

I forgot that a sensor shorted out and the brand new "S" spent 3
months in the shop until an expert from Germany came over to fix it.
They said I had too much sex in the car, wait that was another one.
Anyway they thought I did it, what the heck???

• Funny
Reactions: Ital