Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Y’all Spoiled: My pickup story

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Re: KenC's experience - How does whoever is responsible for delivery let the vehicle get loaded on the truck with such a low SoC that it is 0 on delivery?? When I picked mine up at the Burbank delivery center it was about 60%. As far as my delivery experience, I had a couple of minor fit and finish issues that were addressed with a service appointment a couple weeks later. No other issues.

Re: KenC's experience - How does whoever is responsible for delivery let the vehicle get loaded on the truck with such a low SoC that it is 0 on delivery?? When I picked mine up at the Burbank delivery center it was about 60%. As far as my delivery experience, I had a couple of minor fit and finish issues that were addressed with a service appointment a couple weeks later. No other issues.
I was a bit annoyed that it appeared to me that no one had looked over the car, since Fremont, before delivery. It supposedly goes on a train, that gets unloaded in NY. From there, one assumes it goes to a delivery center to get prepped, but there are no indications that happened.

Here's the poop:
IMG_0801.jpeg

Next day, when I got a chance to look at the car closely, I noticed that there was a lot of fibers on the dash from the manufacturing process. Clearly, no one had looked to clean the car before delivery, probably because no one had seen the car since it shipped from the factory.
1679522680414.jpeg

Ultimately, the car was fine; though a couple more things I realized later: one, the lugs were not tightened over 100Nm, and the front wheels were misaligned. Had to get new tires after just 6000 miles.
1679523054433.jpeg

Presumably, home delivery is better after all these years.

Is there an app providing you with the data above? I feel like I’m missing out.
Yes, ScanMyTesla, aka SMT. scan my tesla, You can buy the app, and the site shows you what OBD2 adapter you might need and what CAN bus reader to buy. Altogether, I think it cost me under $200. It's very useful in giving you more data than you know what to do with. If you ever see any of those Bjorn Nyland videos on youtube, he uses it all the time.
Yah even the home delivery is easier. I like not having to haggle all the way past the finance officer and GM just to get out the door for what I agreed to pay without add-ons.
Funny thing is, I never talked to anyone at Tesla. I ordered online, and my IDA, only used email to contact me, 13x. That's it. No matter how many times I asked for his number, or to allow my bank to contact him, he never gave me his number or called. I hate talking to the finance guy as well, but this was extreme!

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: SlimJim and TacoGuy
So far it seems like 2 hour inspection is still the record :D

Even though OP later clarified that it wasn't really 2 hours for inspection but for fun let's crown OP as inspection record holder for now

I stretched. I was there for a grand total of an hour and a half out of which 45-55 mins were spent waiting for them to finish the detail. There were other people who were dragging the tech and sales people out regarding panels, wind noises (having driven around the lot) etc.

Less than 10mins. Not all of us have a place to pickup. Some states only have home delivery, and in my case, the semi could not drive down my ¼mile dirt road, so the driver asked if we could meet at a rest stop. I agreed, only to find out that the car had "zero" SOC. The driver said he loaded it that way, in the morning. Now it was evening in December in Maine. Last delivery of the day. Sun was already down. He asked where the charger was, and I told him there wasn't any. I told him, I lived ¼ mile down a dirt road, but that it was mostly downhill. If the car had a little energy, I could roll it down and charge at my house. The driver said "no way", he loaded the car with zero SOC and that was a long time ago, and he didn't think the car could make it 1/4mile downhill.

So, we reloaded the car, yes, I actually pushed it when it was on the loading ramp, and we drove 10miles to another rest stop, one with superchargers.View attachment 920000

Once we unloaded again, he rolled it downhill to the supercharger, and plugged it in. He handed me two keycards, had me sign a paper, and took my Chevy Volt and loaded it to go. That's it. He's a 3rd-party driver. He doesn't work for Tesla. Those of us who get home delivery have one of two choices, accept or refuse.
View attachment 920001
My car not only had no charge, it had never seen a delivery center. It had bird poop on the door, and it had plastic shavings on the dash. The kind of shavings you get from the manufacturing process. It had never been seen since shipping from Fremont.

You can see the supercharger pedestal in the reflection of the center screen. You can see it has zero SOC. You can see it has the glovebox tag, and plastic on the sun visors.

So, while it's wonderful that the OP had a great experience, I am not making it up that I did not. I had less than 10mins to decide accept or not. There was no one from Tesla to talk to about the decision. Last delivery of a cold day in December. Yay!

Ha, I just remember, I had my 89yr old disabled mom with me, since she wanted to see the new car. I dropped her off at the nearby Ruby Tuesday's while I dealt with the car. It took a couple hours for the battery to warm up and start charging and reach a point where I was confident it would make it home. More yay!

View attachment 920005
I know most people would have refused the car, but the end result is the battery is fine! This is from last week, I have almost 47k miles after 4+yrs, and it still has 76.6kWh of 77.8kWh and all of its original 310 EPA-rated miles.
Crazy story... but glad the car has been working out. Curious - How/Where can I find those same stats in the picture?

Maybe because it's basically in the freezer for half the year? I never did understand why grandma kept her AA's in the freezer (until now, that is).
I know, right? The odd thing is, if the cold battery theory is right; why don't we hear more about Norwegian Teslas having minimal degradation, or people who keep their Teslas in AC'd garages? Mine sits outdoors, so while it's cold in the Winter, it's hot in the Summer.

When did everyone make their final payment? before delivery day or after inspecting the car?
Some paid before, especially those in TX where its supposedly required to do so
Some paid after inspection, via cashiers\bank check\plaid in-app payment

Are you deciding how you should go about payment? If you're not in TX nor doing carrier direct (not sure it requires pre-payment), then pay after inspection so you don't pay for a vehicle you might not take delivery of and worse case you walk-away and have a hard time getting your money back.

Not in TX. It seems crazy that you would pay days (weeks) before seeing the car.

Last time (3 years ago) we wrote a check at time of delivery. it doesn't seem like that is an option now.
Can't pay by personal check anymore
Can pay by cashier or bank issued check after inspection, others have said they paid by direct debit (plaid) and wire as well
I paid by bank issued check after inspection

1679673045927.png