Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Goodbye all; Good riddance Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was a big consumder of MB's but it was their diesels. My first new one was in 1983 300SD. I think I spent about almost $40k back then for it. So probably close to about $120k in current dollars. I drove, and drove, and drove, that thing. No major issues until the funky vacuum lines for controlling things had an issue at about 90k. It wasn't a major issue, just took a while to troubleshoot. At 150k miles the frames holding the window motor broke on the drivers door and if it had been the motor itself, cheap to fix. The sunroof was still working fine so I used that at tollroads and drive-throughs.

At 200k the AC blower motor worked but while the car was still in motion, the air flowed through. At 250k the stock turbo died. That I actually had rebuilt and was about $900 for it. At 400k the replacement turbo was getting tired but the rear diff died. So I found a junked wagon version with a lower axle ration (numerically higher) and swapped it out. It more than made up for the sagging turbo and made me wish I had done it when the car was fresher. Took a bit of hit on mileage but it didn't matter that much. At 450k the motor was still going good but the turbo wasn't on its last legs. It was basically as non-turbo-diesel at this point but still no major issues. Bought a new house and ended up parking the car at a McD's. At 473k miles, someone actually stole the car. Exterior was in mint condition and the MB-Tex vinyl had held up great. Insurance paid out about 8k for a 20+ year old car.

I had made a bet with my dad that I could get 250k miles out of it without spending over a grand other than routine maintenance hence the reason I didn't fix anything. It was a bet in jest as he thought I was crazy spending that much money on a car. I didn't want to buy some crap box Corolla or equivalent and figured if I could get at least 250k miles, it was more than worth it to me. Sadly the car outlasted my dad but I just keep going on in the spirit of the bet. My goal was to make 500k without any major repairs. Turbos are basically a wear item and I got good service out of them considering I used that car like a pickup truck and towed my jetskis, motorcycles, etc. all over the US. Since that basic 300 diesel motor had been around forever, parts were cheap and donor vehicles plentiful.

For me that MB was one of the most reliable cars I've ever owned, if not the most reliable. Never stranded me anywhere. If my Plaid is even half as good, I'll be ecstatic. As for BMWs, I'll never own another of their cars. I am still ok buying their bikes and my K1600GT has been rock solid over the last 10 years. That bike will never leave the family. The last new BMW cost me about 70% the purchase price of my K1600 when new in out of warranty repairs.

my mercedes c63 coupe was hittin 84k miles... probably more than 5 dashlights came on all at once... several dealtership visits later and over 5k in payments to dealership... still 2 lights will not go away... one bein engine light and other seatbelt light... enjoy ur german engineering under 50k mileage while u can...

Reactions: vickh
well now that i think about it... op has an issue w/ reliability and parts availability...

get a nissan leaf... i had one and it was a doozer... like a camry it never failed me... cost nothing to own at all...

lmk if u agree...

my mercedes c63 coupe was hittin 84k miles... probably more than 5 dashlights came on all at once... several dealtership visits later and over 5k in payments to dealership... still 2 lights will not go away... one bein engine light and other seatbelt light... enjoy ur german engineering under 50k mileage while u can...
I wouldn't touch a German car now after the warrantee runs out other than my old MB. The last Audi I had, they had to by back in the first 6 months of ownership. It was in the dealer so many times it was crazy. In the middle of Minnesota, on a very cold winter day, the CEL came on and had to pull over the side of the road, not even close to an exit with 3 kids in the back. That was after the car had already been in the shop to fix the same issue and Audi, not the dealer, swore everything was hunky dory with my car.

That was the last Audi (an S6) I owned. Every time I thought about buying an eTron that moment pops in my head.

I wouldn't touch a German car now after the warrantee runs out other than my old MB. The last Audi I had, they had to by back in the first 6 months of ownership. It was in the dealer so many times it was crazy. In the middle of Minnesota, on a very cold winter day, the CEL came on and had to pull over the side of the road, not even close to an exit with 3 kids in the back. That was after the car had already been in the shop to fix the same issue and Audi, not the dealer, swore everything was hunky dory with my car.

That was the last Audi (an S6) I owned. Every time I thought about buying an eTron that moment pops in my head.
well when it comes to audi i am a sucker... had an a6 quattro turbo and luvd it... beyond 100k it was turbo fail after fail after oil leak and had to depart...

i would still own an a6 if not for ev s comin into my life... etron are fine but i don t know if they can ever match tesla in value terms...

a6 rules....

well when it comes to audi i am a sucker... had an a6 quattro turbo and luvd it... beyond 100k it was turbo fail after fail after oil leak and had to depart...

i would still own an a6 if not for ev s comin into my life... etron are fine but i don t know if they can ever match tesla in value terms...
Nothing comes close to tesla in value terms for MY/3, esp after tax credit.

There is lots of competition on S/X though. esp . if you factor in cust. service (or lack there of)

Reactions: BOOMER7
Somewhere in this thread, someone asked me to come back in 6 months and report on how I like my new EV, the BMW iX, after ownings a Model S for 8 years (biding my time until something else I liked came along and had a year or two under its belt). So I,m baaack :)
tl;dr - Very pleased with the decision I made.

I've had the BMW iX50 since early May 2023. I could have picked up a 2023 model off the lot, but I figured I'd get it exactly as I wanted, so I ordered one with the options, colors, etc. I wanted. It took about 3 months from order to delivery. I just missed the cutoff for a 2023 model, which would have been $3000 less than the '24. Also, for 2024 they eliminated the options of air shocks and rear wheel steering in the iX50 (still available in the M60, but about 30K more).

While I considered those options, they weren't too important to me. I had a very negative experience with the air shocks in my Model S, where one needed to be replaced and the car was out of commission for 6 months, awaiting parts. The ride quality, with springs, is better than what the Model S was with air.

Not surprisingly, the vehicle's build quality is far superior to Tesla, drives great and is supremely quiet(er). I have not been back to the dealer since purchase, but will go back in 6 months, as 4 years of annual service (whatever that means) is included. Ski season started here in Colorado about 3 weeks ago, and I've made 3 trips up tot he mountains. Unlike the Tesla, with its inadequate insulation, where my feet would get cold, nothing like that in the BMW. And there is no vampire drain! Unlike Tesla, BMW recommends keeping the car UNplugged while parked, unless charging. I've been away on a few international trips and left the car at 60% SOC and came back home 3 weeks later, and it's at 59 or 60%! Yes, the car is connected to the internet, has cameras, OTA updates, etc. I guess they know how to properly design their electronics (unlike, Tesla whose Sentry Mode uses 300W, while a typcial dashcam with more features uses 5W).

While I enjoyed the Model S for the first few years, being a paradigm shift in the industry, I grew to hate it, the company and its horrible customer service, and of course, the pathologic liar and sociopath who runs the company - a truly disgusting individual. In 45 years of car ownership, the Tesla was my worst car ownership experience. I'm glad it's behind me.

I'll continue to read this thread, if there are any responses or questions for me, for a week or so, then that will be it for me and this forum.

Somewhere in this thread, someone asked me to come back in 6 months and report on how I like my new EV, the BMW iX, after ownings a Model S for 8 years (biding my time until something else I liked came along and had a year or two under its belt). So I,m baaack :)
tl;dr - Very pleased with the decision I made.

I've had the BMW iX50 since early May 2023. I could have picked up a 2023 model off the lot, but I figured I'd get it exactly as I wanted, so I ordered one with the options, colors, etc. I wanted. It took about 3 months from order to delivery. I just missed the cutoff for a 2023 model, which would have been $3000 less than the '24. Also, for 2024 they eliminated the options of air shocks and rear wheel steering in the iX50 (still available in the M60, but about 30K more).

While I considered those options, they weren't too important to me. I had a very negative experience with the air shocks in my Model S, where one needed to be replaced and the car was out of commission for 6 months, awaiting parts. The ride quality, with springs, is better than what the Model S was with air.

Not surprisingly, the vehicle's build quality is far superior to Tesla, drives great and is supremely quiet(er). I have not been back to the dealer since purchase, but will go back in 6 months, as 4 years of annual service (whatever that means) is included. Ski season started here in Colorado about 3 weeks ago, and I've made 3 trips up tot he mountains. Unlike the Tesla, with its inadequate insulation, where my feet would get cold, nothing like that in the BMW. And there is no vampire drain! Unlike Tesla, BMW recommends keeping the car UNplugged while parked, unless charging. I've been away on a few international trips and left the car at 60% SOC and came back home 3 weeks later, and it's at 59 or 60%! Yes, the car is connected to the internet, has cameras, OTA updates, etc. I guess they know how to properly design their electronics (unlike, Tesla whose Sentry Mode uses 300W, while a typcial dashcam with more features uses 5W).

While I enjoyed the Model S for the first few years, being a paradigm shift in the industry, I grew to hate it, the company and its horrible customer service, and of course, the pathologic liar and sociopath who runs the company - a truly disgusting individual. In 45 years of car ownership, the Tesla was my worst car ownership experience. I'm glad it's behind me.

I'll continue to read this thread, if there are any responses or questions for me, for a week or so, then that will be it for me and this forum.

Barry - So nice to see you back (as promised) to provide feedback.

How about the SW/UI intuitiveness/ease-of-use?

Barry - So nice to see you back (as promised) to provide feedback.

How about the SW/UI intuitiveness/ease-of-use?
Droschke - Nice to "see" you again. IMO all these modern cars have overly complex UIs. I find BMW's no more or less complex than Tesla's. BMW probably has more settings and customization available. On the bright side, the verbal command vocabulary is much more extensive and almost everything can be set by voice, rather than looking in menus on the screen.

As an example, the day after the time change earlier this month, I got into the car and noted that the time was off by an hour. So I just pressed the mic button and said "time settings" and a menu popped up with the top switch being auto-time change on/off. I turned it on and voila, time was again correct. I probably could have done the whole thing by voice, but it was simple enough. The voice commands I use most frequently are nav and climate. I can change any climate setting by voice, such as auto, temp, ventilated seat (off and 1 thru 3), heated seat, heated steering wheel with their numerical gradations.

Reactions: Droschke
I like the BMW IX, but when the dealer gave us one for a weekend when we had our X5d in for maintenance it did not blow me away like I thought it would. It is a very solid car, but if my wife would let me, I would replace her X5d with a Model X. The IX just did not feel like an EV too me and preferred the Tesla more.

Dislike when people dump on Elon so much too. Gets old, in fact during the start of Covid, he made me want to buy a Tesla. Anyone can go on and on about CEO’s of almost any company and even if I disliked him, it would not stop me from buying a car from, especially if it was good.

And I have nothing but great service, for what little I have used it for my Model S the last two years. NE Ohio Tesla service is just oustanding!

Ditto, probably getting rid of my 2013 MS85 sometime next year and never touching another Tesla again after studying how its made (battery pack, drive unit, water/moisture control)

Been analyzing sources of disappointment. I think there are 2 : One is Tesla while the other is Large battery EVs in general.

Tesla

As a MS owner since 13, have come to understand Tesla's basic viral growth business model. Its quite amazing can scale a car company based on social media viral growth methods (Elon's background from paypal) They do no advertising. Instead, dump $ into warranty service reliant on owner's testimony and symbiosis with social media (youtubers etc..) In this model, service is most important for each generation of vehicles while priming the demand for the next generation. While many Model S owners were getting multiple drive unit replaced under the 8 year unlimited mile warranty, everyone had amazing positive experience... (youtubers amped up these experiences) of course, no one thought at the time of the out of pocket cost post warranty honeymoon. Based on this high warranty service satisfaction viral growth model, high mileage drivers got the most value while low mileage drivers faced crazy repair costs at low miles (everyone still using low miles = low wear ICE expectation) after warranty expired.

This viral growth has hit some bumps as stock reached astronomical valuations. Kathy Woods from Ark surely demands return on their big stake. Elon has pitched robots and AI in last 2-3 years. Presumably to boost stock price... Cars are becoming less and less of the focus. This is the primary reason MS post warranty ownership experience is so poor. Early MS owner already did their viral marketing job to prime M3/MY demand. Longevity ownership has little to no value (seems to be starting to have some impact) and fundamentally difficult anyways (next section)

Large Battery EVs

The fundamental issue of rechargeable battery longevity doesn't disappear despite high PR from corporations and governments with countless parade of technology acronyms and pitchman. Google "dendrites XXX" where XXX = any new EV battery tech acronym being PRed will show recent graduate level research on this fundamental problem. Here is result of some research from googling "dendrites Solid State Battery" for reference.

Note these studies are published in chemistry related worlds (magazine named Matter haha) Not your usual modern lightweight tech press / social media youtubers where real fundamental sciences are all but ignored.

Due to the dendrite failure (shorting + - of a cell) issue and moisture issues (large HV battery pack low to ground in wet and corrosive elements), large capacity battery cars have huge battery replacement costs > car residual value post drive train warranty. Thus, natural penetration are at the premium segments where buyers have historically accepted 50-95% depreciation on ownership from year 4-10. Gov tax credits for EVs further depresses used car value.

====

I thought Tesla's viral growth and massive multi organizational PR on EVs will just keep masking these fundamental problems. But there are some signs this is no longer true...

- GM/Ford/German Brands are all throttling their EV progress despite huge investments (Tesla is first mover) with low sales and poor reviews.
- Tesla seems unable to sell all factory output (quarterly results and increasingly aggressive sales techniques). Perhaps the MS post warranty ownership cost is putting the brakes on demand. This is despite gov printing $10-$15k debt to fund each purchase where Model 3 initial ownership cost is similar to a Toyota Corolla.

It seems expansion beyond premium and disposable segment (younger buyers increasingly treat cars as 5+ year disposable product, like their phones, computers, and TVs) is starting to hit headwind. Interestingly, smaller battery capacity EVs without range limitations (hybrids) are cleaning up in the remaining segments. Leading hybrid maker Toyota converted nearly entire model lineup with hybrids. These cars are nearly all sold in transit to the dealership.

Hybrids is probably where I will be (already Prius owner since 2011) There are no better driving experiences than EV's torque and handling, not visiting gas station is a huge benefit as all EV owners know. But until viral marketing manufacturers and gov's effort wane and longevity issues gets some real focus, just a sea of overhype, overpromise and masking of real longevity issues.

As an example, the day after the time change earlier this month, I got into the car and noted that the time was off by an hour.
I know you’re using this as an example of an easy and convenient UI, but hot damn, what year is it again? It’s been ages and ages since I’ve had to manually set the time in one of my cars. 😂

Bye. I am stuck in depreciation purgatory with my 2023 Model S, so unfortunately, you won't be seeing me anytime soon.
De
My big issue with Tesla is “ betrayal “ I’m not rich, but work/saved like crazy to finally afford to buy my dream car 2022 Tesla MYP, about a year ago; Only to see the prices/value drop so insane.
All because Musk needed money for Twitter, Rockets, Qualified Tax credits and other personal stuff.
Prices and value are forever uncertain. Sad…
If you're worried about value, then you should probably be leasing instead of buying. So much whining about Tesla doing THE RIGHT THING and lowering prices for consumers at a time when everything is overpriced. You bought a vehicle at a price that you were comfortable with. The market fluctuating should not change that.

I'm glad to hear your review. My wife and I have always said we hope our first Tesla is our last Tesla. We bought ours as a CPO several years ago and felt like the car has served us well. We're not picky but have several thoughts on how to make both the car and company better. Right now the advantage with Tesla is the Supercharger network, motor efficiency, battery production costs, and the history/data logs.

Every new EV and battery pack design will always have a question mark in my mind until we see fleet data of 10yrs/250K miles (which is about how much age and usage I expect out of our cars). My aunt is happy with her BMW i4, our friend is happy with her MB EQE, and another friend is happy with Kia EV6. I'm really curious to see which make and models hold up over time, which ones will get 3rd party improvements, and which ones will show major design flaws. Time will tell and hope the future is more transparent.

Reactions: Droschke
There's no need to be a moderator wannabe and post a comment like this, either. Not that I need to justify anything to you, but I've been on this forum for 10 years, and the now-defunct forum that was on Tesla's site for longer than that. I made many online friends (and enemies of some of the fanboys, too, in later years), and met a number of them in person. One of them has posted in this thread and others have PMed me.

Re the finance guy, it wasn't a big deal. I wrote a check for the car, so no shenanigans in terms. Yes, he tried to sell me a bunch of crap, such as extended warranties, but I shut him down with, "I'm not interested in anything you're trying to sell me." "Why not?," he asked. "Because they all have a negative expected value." End of discussion. :)

Time will tell if I made a good move. First impressions from day 1 - the fit and finish is superb, the interior is luxurious, the ride is great, the UI is overly complex and has a steeper learning curve than Tesla's.
And I really liked Season 1 of your show. I own two BMWs and a Tesla. I've also owned 5 other BMWs in the past. The reliability has steadily declined as the cars became more complex. The dealer service network is thoroughly incompetent and overpriced. Take care to sell the BMW once that it's out of warranty.

Reactions: EXOTIC1
It’s kind of amazing that I feel the exact opposite of you about Tesla and it’s CEO. I’m happy with the product, the direction and the two service centers I’ve used in Southwest Ohio have been very responsive for me.

In a turn of irony, I’m a 30 year BMW owner starting from my first 1991 BMW 318is, that won’t be returning to the brand due to the reliability of the product, the arrogance of the dealer network, the pricing of the vehicles and options, and the growth pursuit that has taken them away from the Ultimate Driving Machine. Many bad experiences over many years, though I continued to buy because I thought it was the leading product. Glad to be done with BMW. They’ve screwed me far more than Tesla.

I clearly see that now;🤦🏻.. After ripping people off for a good three years; We like dummies fell for the Musk deception & greed 💰 No chance ever buying another Tesla for sure!

It’s kind of amazing that I feel the exact opposite of you about Tesla and it’s CEO. I’m happy with the product, the direction and the two service centers I’ve used in Southwest Ohio have been very responsive for me.

In a turn of irony, I’m a 30 year BMW owner starting from my first 1991 BMW 318is, that won’t be returning to the brand due to the reliability of the product, the arrogance of the dealer network, the pricing of the vehicles and options, and the growth pursuit that has taken them away from the Ultimate Driving Machine. Many bad experiences over many years, though I continued to buy because I thought it was the leading product. Glad to be done with BMW. They’ve screwed me far more than Tesla.
I know a German Auto Repair shop in SoCal, and the owner tells me that if it weren’t for BMW’s he would be out of business. Honest truth.

The dealer service network is thoroughly incompetent and overpriced. Take care to sell the BMW once that it's out of warranty.
This. Owned 2 BMW 2008 European Delivery 328 Convertible that I still have. 2012 X6.. first midnight blue model in New York. Fortunately somehow, I leased that X6. I loved it and the engine failed for the last 3 months of the lease... nothing from BMW..painful. They had the car... forgot to return the plates... This is 2015.. I switched to Tesla and end up driving a red Model S through the back roads of South Carolina with a suspended license (unbeknownst to me-- Thanks BMW) in a RED Tesla.. FAST because of family crisis. I cringe when i think about what "might" have happened.

The BMW Service has been awful, and I detailed it in a post recently on Reddit of just ONE example. Very nostalgic about my first car, BMW was my favorite car growing up, the experience of driving through Paris was amazing, BMW really had me locked and the i50 is beautiful, but after 2 years of an S and ~7 in an X... I'll be taking deliver of another X in roughly a week. I could not find a better 7 seater for our family. Tesla Service center is not perfect, but sooooo much better experience...Outside of recalls, I don't plan on stepping foot in a BMW Service center ever again.

^^^^^

The motives seem clear ….. with the last few postings ( it’s personal) with most of the frustration

Enjoy the BMW

“Bavarian manure works”
That’s what I used to call them when I owned my Alpina BMW B7 with my electrical issues
back in the day. My ownership lasted about 2 years 2 long. On the other hand
My three Tesla cars over the last five years of ownership have been nothing short of stellar overall. 🤘👍

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.