Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Goodbye all; Good riddance Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tesla isn't trying to be a prestige name, and said so from the start. The planned $25K car is the clearest proof, as is the Cybertruck.

I don't think most people buy Teslas for the quality either. More for the performance, technology (present and future), crash safety, lower operating costs, less maintenance and/or lower emissions or a combination of several.
That is absolutely true, speaking from someone who's owned 2 high end Lexus (LS400, LS430) and now own a 2015 Model S. I still have much love for my old Lexus but my priorities have changed in life and Tesla meets those demands, even without the flawless fit finish of my old cars.

As was mentioned earlier, early adopters like Barry led to Tesla's improbable success. Thank you!

Of course, Tesla is hugely grateful, and continues to treat early adopters with the deep respect they deserve:

a) Yellowing screen borders - Sometimes glue needs to be cured a few times before it's ready. Customers felt that a little yellowing was no big deal and certainly not a warranty issue, but Tesla would hear none of it, and stepped up immediately to replace or repair these screens.

b) 8GB eMCC - Math is hard, and Tesla slightly miscalculated the number of write cycles these FLASH chips would encounter. Once they realized their error, Tesla promptly released a firmware update to reduce unnecessary logging. And since Tesla was adamant that having a working screen is a safety issue, they quickly replaced all failed and potentially failing units without any urging from NHTSA.

c) FSD - Tesla did not even consider releasing FSD until the vehicles of early FSD adopters were equipped for it. Without any prompting from these owners, Tesla proactively upgraded older MCU units and cameras.

d) Batterygate - To the delight of early Model S adopters, Tesla found a potential battery issue and cleverly addressed it by reducing range. Tesla's transparency and alacrity in dealing with this potentially serious issue is renowned.

etc., etc.

As was mentioned earlier, early adopters like Barry led to Tesla's improbable success. Thank you!

Of course, Tesla is hugely grateful, and continues to treat early adopters with the deep respect they deserve:

a) Yellowing screen borders - Sometimes glue needs to be cured a few times before it's ready. Customers felt that a little yellowing was no big deal and certainly not a warranty issue, but Tesla would hear none of it, and stepped up immediately to replace or repair these screens.

b) 8GB eMCC - Math is hard, and Tesla slightly miscalculated the number of write cycles these FLASH chips would encounter. Once they realized their error, Tesla promptly released a firmware update to reduce unnecessary logging. And since Tesla was adamant that having a working screen is a safety issue, they quickly replaced all failed and potentially failing units without any urging from NHTSA.

c) FSD - Tesla did not even consider releasing FSD until the vehicles of early FSD adopters were equipped for it. Without any prompting from these owners, Tesla proactively upgraded older MCU units and cameras.

d) Batterygate - To the delight of early Model S adopters, Tesla found a potential battery issue and cleverly addressed it by reducing range. Tesla's transparency and alacrity in dealing with this potentially serious issue is renowned.

etc., etc.
For c, you don’t need an upgraded MCU for FSD. Took them a long time to get there, but they did.

since Tesla was adamant that having a working screen is a safety issue, they quickly replaced all failed and potentially failing units without any urging from NHTSA.

It's very disingenuous for you to say this.

Tesla did not admit this was a safety issue for a long time till the owners started to file complaints with NHTSA. The investigation by NHTSA started and later Tesla responded to NHTSA with their plan to recall the 8GB eMMC chips. NHTSA accepted the Tesla's plan.

• Funny
Reactions: WilliamG and jebinc

Tesla did not admit this was a safety issue for a long time till the owners started to file complaints with NHTSA. The investigation by NHTSA started and later Tesla responded to NHTSA with their plan to recall the 8GB eMMC chips. NHTSA accepted the Tesla's plan.
I believe his post was “sarcasm”.

@Barry - As an early owner like you, I've known you from the old Tesla forum and then here at TMC, am very familiar with your contribution to both forums and always enjoyed your honest take on all aspects of ownership. Good luck with the new BMW EV and please keep posting your feedback here.

Thank you 👍

Thank you for the kind words, Droschke. Amazing how low mileage your car is! And I thought mine was low at a little under 80K. But then mine was held hostate by the parts dept for about 10 minths of its life :( Also, not sure how you got a 90 in 2/15 and I got an 85(D) in 4/15. replacement pack?

Here's a tip for you when you decide it's time for something new: The online car sites (carvana, carmax, etc.) all lowballed me with offers in the 19-20K range. The dealer offered me 24K and I negotiated that up to 24.5K. Added benefit of going through the dealer, besides simplicity, is (at least in my state) the sales tax applies to the purchase minus trade-in price, saving me almost 2K. Be sure to mention FUSC, as it's not on their question list when clicking off options. It's likely they never heard of it. We went to the Tesla web site, signed into my account, and printed out the page documenting it. I don't know the exact number, but FUSC bumped up the price a bit.

Reactions: kazamm and Droschke
Thank you for the kind words, Droschke. Amazing how low mileage your car is! And I thought mine was low at a little under 80K. But then mine was held hostate by the parts dept for about 10 minths of its life :( Also, not sure how you got a 90 in 2/15 and I got an 85(D) in 4/15. replacement pack?

Here's a tip for you when you decide it's time for something new: The online car sites (carvana, carmax, etc.) all lowballed me with offers in the 19-20K range. The dealer offered me 24K and I negotiated that up to 24.5K. Added benefit of going through the dealer, besides simplicity, is (at least in my state) the sales tax applies to the purchase minus trade-in price, saving me almost 2K. Be sure to mention FUSC, as it's not on their question list when clicking off options. It's likely they never heard of it. We went to the Tesla web site, signed into my account, and printed out the page documenting it. I don't know the exact number, but FUSC bumped up the price a bit.

Yes, mine has a very low mileage since I don't drive it much these days, but it already has had a DU replaced @37k miles and then the HV battery replaced last summer @47k miles when it was still under warranty. In both instances, the car sat at the service center for weeks. The 90kWh pack that I now have is the replacement for my old 85kWh.

Thanks for the advice on selling when the time comes 👍

It's been an interesting ride, from loving the car at first, to despising what the company has become. The Tesla was my worst car owndership experience in 40+ years of car ownership. From Rivetgate (the old-times will remember that) in winter 2015/16, disabling the car for 4 months, waiting for parts, to 2022, waiting for a replacement air shock for 6 months, again disabling the car.

When I was in the finance office at the BMW dealer, he asked me if I was excited to be getting a new car. I said I was more excited to be done with Tesla. He said it's amazing how many times he's heard that before. :) Would I ever buy another Tesla? A resounding NO, unless the madman in charge is replaced with someone who cares about the customer experience, after the sale.
I hear where you are coming from. I read some of your posts when considering a Tesla in the first place. I appreciate your contribution. Enough people have already mentioned the grass is greener aspect of moving. You might be old enough to at least remember the book from Erma Bombeck; "The Grass is Always Greener Over the Septic Tank." I got burnt on enough BMW's to never go back. Can you say replace AC in an X5 three times in 70k miles? First was in warranty and the second right outside of it. Of course it died again just as I decided to punt it and nobody in Florida wants to buy a black X5 without working AC...

I do hope you find what you are looking for. If it was a BMW EV, it seems like all their stuff lately is based on a converted ICE car platform and all the issues that would entail. Maybe it will work out in the long run. Too early to tell but best of luck.

While some things about my S infuriated me, I never had any warranty issues. A performance aspect was bad enough to want me to sell the car. I thought I'd reassess the market and maybe buy a Taycan, eTron, Lucid, MB, BMW, etc. When it was all said and done, I ended up back with Tesla but with a Plaid instead of my long range. Nobody has matched, let alone surpassed, what Tesla brings to the table for me. I did skip on a 2023 because of the removal of USS.

So many of my friends didn't want to buy a Model S and some have regretted their purchases of the alternatives. I hear complaints about dealers having no clue on how to work on the EVs as they sell mostly ICE car with long periods to troubleshoot issues. Often they need to call in someone from the factory to do anything more than a simple diagnosis. They complain about waiting for SW updates. At the end of the day, they all have issues. Owning a higher-end EV is like dating a super model in some ways. You know it's going to cost you in some way. It might be going in, going out, maintenance, time, emotions, new shoes, etc. There is definitely a cost to it.

Bunches of cars between my wife and me since 2013. Sooooo little time dealing with service. It seems most of the cars are good; some are not. If you get a bad one, you are screwed.

I really really really dread when it comes time to replace my or my wife's car with a new one. Sure, the excitement is there because they constantly up their game and the new one is soooo much better than the previous car. On the flip side, it means I have to interface with Tesla business and they still have the SilVal software company mindset where customers are expendable/consumable and basically just a nuisance. It's sad but true and likely not going to change anytime soon given the company's continued growth.

I look at it as 98% love and 2% pain. If I ever get a car that fights back I know I need to bomerang that puppy back to Tesla ASAP as service is simply not an option.

Sorry to loose someone but I get it. I also remember all those times in the BMW "finance" (scam) office having to sit across from someone I would literally pay to avoid followed up by having to hit the dealership several times a year for included service. I put 100k on my last S and spent 5% of the time dealing with the car in comparison to the BMWs. I know myself and my grass is greener problem which is why I dissect the ownership experiences before considering a switch. As crappy as Tesla management is at being human beings, the overall equation still works for me (and they know it which is why they continue to be crappy human beings).

shoutout to jebinc
Customer taking 9R for immediate departure
At the end of the day, all car companies (and especially dealers) suck! It doesn’t matter the name or the demand for said vehicle. The car business is a wild thing. Enjoy your BMW. Hopefully Tesla will get their customer service game in check, maybe then you’ll be tired of BMW and come back!

FAcdefJWQAANspd.jpg

Reactions: Droschke
Status
Not open for further replies.