Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Google hires the man in charge of Tesla's Autopilot feature

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla has lost quite a few people of late, and Robert Rose is a pretty high-up guy to lose. Does this suggest that Tesla may be a difficult work environment? Is there a big burn-out factor working for Elon, or might we assume that Google and Apple can simply throw a lot more money at these guys than Tesla can?

Tesla has lost quite a few people of late, and Robert Rose is a pretty high-up guy to lose. Does this suggest that Tesla may be a difficult work environment? Is there a big burn-out factor working for Elon, or might we assume that Google and Apple can simply throw a lot more money at these guys than Tesla can?

Yes, yes, yes, and yes. My guesses.

There's also the possibility that internally, they see something which makes the alternatives seem like better options. I certainly hope that's not the case, but it's possible.

I have no inside information at all. However, I'm a software engineer as I'm sure most people working on any autopilot system are. From what I've seen of the lack of quality in the software Tesla has been releasing, my personal guess is that something is very wrong with the software culture at Tesla. For a skilled and committed software engineer or manager, particularly with a high industry profile, there's no need to put up with it for one minute.

IMHO Elon really needs to get on top of this.

Tech companies lose people to competitors etc all the time. This is not anything new. Like previously said, it's not always the companies fault. Sometimes the salary, benefits, stock etc that is offered is just too hard to turn down. It doesn't hurt that Google is one of the best companies to work for.

In the Silicon Valley your car can remain parked in the same place while you flit about various companies. In fact if you are not constantly moving, it appears you are not relevant. Just seems to be the way things work there. I would not read too much into this as far as Tesla goes.

I'm sort of tangently connected to that world and I'm told he is working on the Replicant team at Google, which is really more of a Roomba-killer program than a Tesla-killer. They do more pure robotics and don't have a role on the self-driving project. It also appears that Tesla is completely rebuilding their autonomous driving team.

What a shortsighted comment. Tesla's new CFO is from Google. Google, Apple and Tesla are all very innovative companies revolutionize our way of life one way or another.

You are allowed your belief, but factually if google went from the internet nothing would change, people would still use a search engine, email, youtube (without ads), they didn't invent android, Microsoft Office far superior than Google Docs...

The good thing that they are doing is driverless cars.

I don't know why you included Tesla I didn't say they weren't innovative. Bizarre.

You are allowed your belief, but factually if google went from the internet nothing would change, people would still use a search engine, email, youtube (without ads), they didn't invent android, Microsoft Office far superior than Google Docs...

I don't know. Someone else's opinion is called a belief, but yours is called a fact. That always makes me cringe.

I disagree also with your statement, which seems narrowly scoped. I'm at NIPS right now and watched a tutorial yesterday from Jeff Dean about some of the new technology in the machine learning space. Google has driven a lot of innovation in this technology which is likely to to aid humans in solving some of our biggest issues. They've released TensorFlow, the in house machine learning library, to the community. Their contribution to the science alone is reason they cannot be dismissed. Web search, YouTube, email are not their contributions. That's how they fund the contributions.

I don't know. Someone else's opinion is called a belief, but yours is called a fact. That always makes me cringe.

I disagree also with your statement, which seems narrowly scoped. I'm at NIPS right now and watched a tutorial yesterday from Jeff Dean about some of the new technology in the machine learning space. Google has driven a lot of innovation in this technology which is likely to to aid humans in solving some of our biggest issues. They've released TensorFlow, the in house machine learning library, to the community. Their contribution to the science alone is reason they cannot be dismissed. Web search, YouTube, email are not their contributions. That's how they fund the contributions.

I agree, slapping the label "fact" on an opinion does not make it fact. Additionally, I think the premise was an oversimplification. Using the logic in 1208's post, nothing would change if Tesla disappeared either. People would still drive cars. Some might be electric.

I have no inside information at all. However, I'm a software engineer as I'm sure most people working on any autopilot system are. From what I've seen of the lack of quality in the software Tesla has been releasing, my personal guess is that something is very wrong with the software culture at Tesla. For a skilled and committed software engineer or manager, particularly with a high industry profile, there's no need to put up with it for one minute.

Crap quality software is often a symptom of issues that run far deeper than just the software, hopefully not in Tesla's case. I'd be grateful if you could elaborate on the quality issues that you've encountered as I'll have a better idea of what to look for when making my own pre-purchase assessment.

Thanks.

Or the opposite perhaps. Remains to be seen which.

Tesla Motors' security chief needs to have a meeting once a week where a few programmers volunteer to brainstorm on how to "hack" the car, I thought they were on top of this before... The owners who are also in the software trade are (at least some of) the ones who are figuring out how to climb into the back seat with autopilot engaged. How hard was it to put the seat's weight sensor, normally used for airbag deployment to determine if someone was actually sitting in the seat?

I said it in the mid-90's and I will say it again now: we are entering the age of robotics. How safe those robots are depends on the programmers:
the_three_laws_of_robotics.png

I said it in the mid-90's and I will say it again now: we are entering the age of robotics. How safe those robots are depends on the programmers

It is probably an outdated notion to assume the programmers will be human. Most of robotics is moving toward having the computer program itself. I'm headed to a symposium today on this very topic, and its potential for societal impact. Should be very interesting.