Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got any photos of your indoor home charging setup?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bareyb,

$500 is kind of high...get more bids.

Yes more bids! But if you put in desired location, you will have to run it to the other side of the car.

If you went with 'non-preferred' you just run it down center of garage when charging (once or twice a week?) and no need to back in.

If anything, I would make the preferred location the OTHER side of the garage, so the charger is on the same side as the port on the car if you drive straight in.

Just my .02.

If you don't mind backing the car into the garage all the time, the cheaper panel location is ok.

However, it's far safer to back in and pull out rather then pull in and back out, so I'd put it close to the breaker panel, then it's both cheaper and safer. The Model S is very easy to back in.

$400-900 just to run some wire, install a breaker and an outlet??? Here's my breakout of cost on my 14-50 installation:

$38 for 30' 6-3 Romex
$12 for outlet, faceplate, and single-gang old construction box
$9 for 50Amp 2pole breaker
$1 for breaker box lug.

Everything from Home Depot

I already had the 1" drill bit and had help with from my wife to pull the wire down. Unless you have a crazy hard time getting above your breaker box for the long runs, do it yourself and save a ton of money. If you're going to mount the HPWC or 14-50 outlet right next to your breaker box, it's crazy easy. Part of me wants to take my stuff apart just to show how easy it is.
Now, if you have some city/county/state restrictions that require you to use a licensed/bonded contractor, then use them.

Last edited:
I put the outlet near the Tesla's charge port. We use the standard connector as we don't drive far enough daily to need the HPWC (in fact I set the charging amps down to 20 to preserve the battery). I did buy the $25 replacement wall organizer which makes it one motion to unhook and charge the car without having to uncoil anything. The location keeps the wire tidy 3-4 feet from the wall to car.

charger.jpg

Some of you guys have really nicely organized setups. I hope to have something cool like that myself. I keep going back and forth between putting the Receptacle right next to the Breaker box ($400.00) or to have it routed up and over the ceiling (finished garage) and put it in the back corner of my garage right near the rear end of the car ($900.00). If I mount it next to the panel then the cord will have to run down the middle of the garage between our two cars with kids running in and out all the time. So that's why I'm leaning towards just tucking the whole thing in the corner where it's out of the way... Decisions, decisions... I'll try to find a pic of my garage...

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a pic of my garage showing the two locations I'm considering.

Question: Would you save the $500.00 and put the outlet next to the breaker panel (run the cable down the middle of the Garage) or would you pay the extra money to have it tucked away in your preferred location?

ETA: This pic was taken the day I finished remodeling my garage. It's not quite that pristine anymore... :D

View attachment 32255

Others have suggested putting the Tesla charger on the other side of the garage. And I'd add park the Tesla on the other side of the garage if its a 2-car garage. Your preferred location runs the cable behind the car meaning to unhook you will either have to have enough space behind the car to walk the cable back to a hanger on the wall or open the garage door and walk outside.

If you run the cable down the middle of the garage floor you might be able to leave it on the floor without rolling it up. But it would be easier to roll it up the center than to walk behind the car.

Some of you guys have really nicely organized setups. I hope to have something cool like that myself. I keep going back and forth between putting the Receptacle right next to the Breaker box ($400.00) or to have it routed up and over the ceiling (finished garage) and put it in the back corner of my garage right near the rear end of the car ($900.00). If I mount it next to the panel then the cord will have to run down the middle of the garage between our two cars with kids running in and out all the time. So that's why I'm leaning towards just tucking the whole thing in the corner where it's out of the way... Decisions, decisions... I'll try to find a pic of my garage...

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a pic of my garage showing the two locations I'm considering.

Question: Would you save the $500.00 and put the outlet next to the breaker panel (run the cable down the middle of the Garage) or would you pay the extra money to have it tucked away in your preferred location?

ETA: This pic was taken the day I finished remodeling my garage. It's not quite that pristine anymore... :D

View attachment 32255

FOLLOW UP:

Well we finally got it all finished. We decided to have it installed in the "preferred location" and it's worked out quite well. Parking on the other side of the garage was a non starter as my wife is not a "great" driver (at all) and she's already hitting the cabinets on her side and her side is the easier side to park on. If she parked on my side it would all over for my cabinets and work bench... Trust me. :D

At any rate, I installed my Charging Station yesterday and I'm very pleased with my setup. By putting the outlet up high on the wall I was able to take up the extra slack and leave just enough cable to reach my charging port. When I'm done I simply hang it on the hook. No coiling of the cable necessary. I also like that it's tucked away in the corner when not in use. Here are some pics:

TeslaChargingStation.jpg

Receptacle installed as high up as I could get it and is hidden behind the Opener

ChargerSupportHook.jpg

Found this little hook in my box of odds and ends. Perfect for corner mounting the UMC.

ChargerLongView.jpg

Tucks away in the corner with LEDs facing out.

Last edited: