Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got delivery date not sure when the VIN will be sent

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thursday's tentative delivery appointment passed with no show, no "reach out to reschedule," and no replies to my messages. The VIN came and went in the order management page but it's still in the downloadable MVPA. I called the sales office and got through to the SA who said the car didn't exit the factory and he'd check on it. No replies since then.

I'm trying to be patient but it's been 7 weeks today. In December the website still promised orders placed would be available for delivery this year.

Is there any way to help it? I emailed asking if color flexibility would help.
Thats really a bummer. Does not look like their order fulfillment is geared to take up the demand. I have tried over the past few weeks and given up trying to reach anyone who can answer intelligently.

• Informative
Reactions: Transformer
If they can’t deliver the car to you this year I would just sit back and see what they do. They might offer you a concession. They might lower prices. This is just a bad time to be buying a Tesla. Too many people waited until year end to try and get one and now it’s a big giant mess. In January things will be much calmer.

I was negotiating with Tesla last year on New Year’s Eve to buy a Model 3 in time to get the full $7,500 tax credit. They had the car in stock and I could have made it happen but all the rushing to put the deal together just didn’t feel good to me. The LR RWD was $49,000 at year end. I waited until March of this year and ended up buying the same car for $43,000, which more that compensated for the loss of the $3,750 tax credit. They upgraded the wheels for free too.

So the lesson learned here is if it doesn’t feel like a good deal, just sit back and wait.,

Hi All,
New to the forum. I am glad I found it!!. So many questions and no answers from Tesla Customer Service. That gets pretty frustrating. Looks like living in CA is really a disadvantage, judging from the spreadsheet. I received my delivery date but no VIN yet. Any idea how many days ahead that is sent out? I have to finalize the loan and without a VIN it is stuck. Secondly, I wonder if others have had issues getting a loan check on time?

New to the forum. I had the same issue with getting the VIN. I was able to get through to the service centre and had a service agent read it off the windshield and text it to me. Not great by any means but it did settle my nerves. Love the car though.

If they can’t deliver the car to you this year I would just sit back and see what they do. They might offer you a concession. They might lower prices. This is just a bad time to be buying a Tesla. Too many people waited until year end to try and get one and now it’s a big giant mess. In January things will be much calmer.

I was negotiating with Tesla last year on New Year’s Eve to buy a Model 3 in time to get the full $7,500 tax credit. They had the car in stock and I could have made it happen but all the rushing to put the deal together just didn’t feel good to me. The LR RWD was $49,000 at year end. I waited until March of this year and ended up buying the same car for $43,000, which more that compensated for the loss of the $3,750 tax credit. They upgraded the wheels for free too.

So the lesson learned here is if it doesn’t feel like a good deal, just sit back and wait.,
So how long did you have to wait to finally get a definite date? Did you re-apply? Or just waited it out?

So how long did you have to wait to finally get a definite date? Did you re-apply? Or just waited it out?

I did not place a deposit so there was nothing to cancel. I just waited until the price dropped to a point where the car was appealing to me to purchase. But I have to admit I got lucky on the timing. Prices went up very shortly after I bought my car. Just wait until mid March and see what end of quarter brings.

Indeed, today I have a Zen attitude, unlike yesterday. Even somehow amused at the folly of us humans. Tesla made this mess pushing deliveries beyond capacity.

A 2020 concession would be proper to people who ordered while the website promised 2019 deliveries. Who's empowered to grant that?

Today's downloadable MVPA has a different VIN. It's 17 cars lower than the previous VIN. Does that reveal anything?

The sales office said to expect a text message to schedule delivery on the 30th or 31st at the Fremont delivery center. I'm imagining inspecting the paint job after dark and arriving late to the New Year's party.

2019 drama. Sunday evening SMS:

TESLA DELIVERY UPDATE - You are on track to receive one of the last Teslas built in 2019! We currently expect your Model 3 to be built Tuesday afternoon and are planning for you to take delivery on 12/31 at the Tesla Factory (45500 Fremont Blvd, Fremont, CA 94538) once it is produced. Details on more precise timing to come tomorrow. If you are unable to take delivery on 12/31, please reply JANUARY and we will plan your delivery for next month.​

Race the clock. Inspect the paint in the dark. Drop your party plans. They can maximize EOY deliveries by doing the last ones without shipping.

Why pay a destination fee?

TV crew?

They can build around 800 Model 3’s per day. If they really have plans to try to build and sell all 800 cars by New Year’s Eve that sounds like an experience I would probably prefer not to deal with. So I guess it comes down to whether you really need the car right away or if you can just sit back and wait until the end of year chaos comes to an end. Things will be much calmer in January. We don’t know if Tesla will adjust pricing to offset the loss in tax credit. Historically they have always done so. But the adjustment may not come until around March when they start thinking about end of quarter incentives.

So it just comes down to how much your feel like attending a Tesla New Year’s Even party with 800 of your neighbors.

I'm intrigued by the New Year’s Eve delivery and the extreme informality/sloppiness for a $50K transaction. Any way it goes down, it'll be a more interesting experience and story than my original party, but rushed manufacturing could be a lasting issue.

Again today they didn't send the promised "more precise timing." I called the showroom to learn that:
  • The manage-reservation page now lists an 8pm delivery appt, sans details, and beware it's just a nominal time.
  • They plan to call people as the cars become ready. (For real this time? It's a good thing people are staying up late anyway.)
  • They're building lots of cars. People will converge on factory parking lots.
  • The sales staff will go from their showrooms to the factory at 7pm.
  • If I need info after 7pm, someone will answer the showroom sales phone. (Really? Pressing the voice response key for "deliveries" gets an "inbox full" message from San Francisco.)
Out of curiosity, how much did they lower the price after the second tax credit reduction? I still have the November price rather than the December price. Betting on prices is futile.