Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got my 2019.40.2.1 update by pressing Advanced multiple times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 3 downloaded today.

So I went to the software screen on my S. It said “up to date”.

Then, I pretended to press advanced a few times. The screen changed to “checking” and then to “ready to download”. I didn’t even have to touch the screen! Just the mental power worked!
You're right! I went to the software screen, it said "checking for updates", so I pretended to poke the advanced button. It took a bit longer than expected, maybe a few dozen almost-presses, but then the update started downloading!

In summary, it's going to the software tab, not pressing the advanced button, that prompts the check for updates.

I am not convinced of the validity of my own post either, but here is another anecdotal to further confuse things. Earlier the same day I had connected to the wifi at the Austin Tesla Service center and that too can supposedly initiate an update, which makes more sense than the button pushing, When I went to get my screen yellowing fix I got an update notice before the Uber arrived to pick me up.

If there is not an update available nothing will ever happen.