Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got my Delivery email , but how do I postpone and can I postpone until after January 1st?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At 4am I received an email from Tesla saying my Model Y is ready for delivery!
When I log into my Tesla account the button is there “accept delivery”.
Im super stocked but with the hopefully soon EV tax credits after January 1st, I think it is wise to postpone delivery until the new year.
1. what’s the best way to postpone delivery call Service advisor or in person at dealer?
2. can I delay delivery until after January 1st?
3. also do you need to tell them a good excuse as a reason for postpoming?

Thank you in advance.

• Disagree
Reactions: ElectricIAC
I don’t think you will be able to postpone delivery for that long. The longest that I have seen was a week, but most of the time you just have 2-3 days to pick up the car.

Others can correct me, but if you don’t pick up the car on Tesla’s timeframe, your VIN will get reassigned and your order will get sent back to the queue.

Reactions: Clark_Kent
At 4am I received an email from Tesla saying my Model Y is ready for delivery!
When I log into my Tesla account the button is there “accept delivery”.
Im super stocked but with the hopefully soon EV tax credits after January 1st, I think it is wise to postpone delivery until the new year.
1. what’s the best way to postpone delivery call Service advisor or in person at dealer?
2. can I delay delivery until after January 1st?
3. also do you need to tell them a good excuse as a reason for postpoming?

Thank you in advance.
I've postponed delivery by calling Delivery Support at my location.

You dont have to give them a reason for delaying delivery. Just tell them you are not ready to take delivery and to put your order on hold until the date.

The VIN will be unmatched to you and will be reassigned to the next buyer.
Screenshot_20211106-110909_Samsung Internet.jpg

I called Tesla and tried this. They said I can only delay for 30 days, and if I get rematches, I need to take delivery or they cancel my order and keep my deposit. True? I’ve been given the wrong info before. I’m also trying to delay until after January 1st.

• Disagree
I called Tesla and tried this. They said I can only delay for 30 days, and if I get rematches, I need to take delivery or they cancel my order and keep my deposit. True? I’ve been given the wrong info before. I’m also trying to delay until after January 1st.
They may be getting more aggressive due to people delaying en masse, in hopes of benefiting from EV incentives, in the "Build Back Better" legislation that is currently being worked out. Their US Q4 deliveries are likely going to take a hit, which won't delight Wall Street, and may push Elon down below Bezos as the most wealthy human on the planet.

They may be getting more aggressive due to people delaying en masse, in hopes of benefiting from EV incentives, in the "Build Back Better" legislation that is currently being worked out. Their US Q4 deliveries are likely going to take a hit, which won't delight Wall Street, and may push Elon down below Bezos as the most wealthy human on the planet.
They can fill Hertz' order then. 😃
I'd call their bluff - $8K vs $250.

If this is the latest policy, then people should definitely be putting their orders on hold before they receive a VIN. This is precisely the scenario I was concerned about, and the reason I put my order on hold last week.

• Funny
As I did this HOLD, Tesla will HOLD your order for up to 90 days if you call them. I ordered my Y on June 2021, called to place on HOLD in late September, then called again to release the HOLD on mid October. The only issue that came up with my HOLD was that at first it seemed that I'd still be in front of the line, per my first call to place the HOLD. When I called back to remove the hold a few weeks later the Tesla rep informed me that I'd go to the BACK of the line with a May 2022 delivery. So I was a bit upset. Then, out of the blue, two weeks later, I received a text and email that my Y was ready for payment. So maybe you don't get pushed to the back of the line. Poor communications on their part. But I go pick p my Model Y tomorrow (Nov. 9, 2021), so I'm happy now.....
Glen

If you talk to 3 different people at Tesla, you get 3 different stories. Because they didn't put my order on hold when I initially called, they only emailed my local sales rep, who never responded, they now say they can't put it on hold now for more than 30 days. One rep did tell me that if I just ignore the emails if I get a delivery date, they will very quickly unlock the car from my profile and give it to someone else. Apparently they have people who put deposits down, and have been unresponsive for months on taking delivery, and Tesla hasn't cancelled their orders. I care less about my deposit, I just don't want to pay almost $46k for the same car that I ordered at $40,990 a few months ago.

If you talk to 3 different people at Tesla, you get 3 different stories. Because they didn't put my order on hold when I initially called, they only emailed my local sales rep, who never responded, they now say they can't put it on hold now for more than 30 days. One rep did tell me that if I just ignore the emails if I get a delivery date, they will very quickly unlock the car from my profile and give it to someone else. Apparently they have people who put deposits down, and have been unresponsive for months on taking delivery, and Tesla hasn't cancelled their orders. I care less about my deposit, I just don't want to pay almost $46k for the same car that I ordered at $40,990 a few months ago.
True. It depends on the person. Placed our 3 order on hold until Jan 15 a few weeks ago. Delayed our Y to get a 2022 - the young girl wasn't very happy about it and wouldn't even give me answers to questions, as she had to speak to her manager. Turns out she did exactly what I asked and put it on hold for ~15 days to ensure I get a 2022 Vin. Picking it up today.