Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Got rear ended, will this buff right out?

Over/under on repair cost?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got rear ended as I was waiting to take my exit. Looks like the Outback was trying to merge one lane to the left but got fixated and last minute decided to not move over.

Claims adjuster will be taking a look at damages this afternoon.
Tire punctured, damage to wheels, bumper and quarter panel bent. Can't see damages underneath.

If it's getting repaired, I wonder how much diminished value will be.

Over/under on repair cost?

XSvMdeA.jpg

Sorry you have to deal with this. Hope your neck and such are ok.

Definitely over $25k (though the initial estimate might appear lower), and might be a total loss after including DoV, rental costs, etc.

Definitely get a real estimate and get it totaled out if possible ASAP; you might be in a window where you could still pick up a Performance before the rebate disappears at the end of the year.

Sorry you have to deal with this. Hope your neck and such are ok.

Definitely over $25k (though the initial estimate might appear lower), and might be a total loss after including DoV, rental costs, etc.

Definitely get a real estimate and get it totaled out if possible ASAP; you might be in a window where you could still pick up a Performance before the rebate disappears at the end of the year.
Prelim estimate came back at $16k

assuming DV at 40% of repair cost, i'm still way under the total loss figures.

Prelim estimate came back at $16k

Well that's good. Was this the insurance adjuster estimate or the shop estimate? It will go up from there though. Just not clear how much. Here's one that went up about $5k on a $10k initial estimate:

The woes of wrecking a Tesla Model 3 Performance...

Guess you really have no choice but to have them do a rapid teardown if that's the shop you want to make sure that it stays below the amount for a total loss.

Well that's good. Was this the insurance adjuster estimate or the shop estimate? It will go up from there though. Just not clear how much. Here's one that went up about $5k on a $10k initial estimate:

The woes of wrecking a Tesla Model 3 Performance...

Guess you really have no choice but to have them do a rapid teardown if that's the shop you want to make sure that it stays below the amount for a total loss.
It was the shop estimate.
I'm surprised it was that low.

Probably just trying to make sure they get the repair job. I'd be a bit surprised if the total cost to the insurance company (DoV, rental costs, repair costs) ends up being below $25k.

The repair costs are typically dominated by the labor costs though (it's often 70% labor as I recall). If they really are quoting something like $50/hr labor rather than over $100/hr, maybe the costs will stay reasonable.

Last edited:
It was the shop estimate.

Did they take it apart or just give a visual from the outside? I only ask bcos my Audi A3 had a bumper ding, which was estimated at $1600 to begin with but jumped to >$10k when they pulled the bumper cover off and found that the supports and quarter panel were bend underneath. Heck, replacing the radar sensors and recalibrating them alone was ~$1500.

Did they take it apart or just give a visual from the outside? I only ask bcos my Audi A3 had a bumper ding, which was estimated at $1600 to begin with but jumped to >$10k when they pulled the bumper cover off and found that the supports and quarter panel were bend underneath. Heck, replacing the radar sensors and recalibrating them alone was ~$1500.
I think the tear down will happen once my insurance adjuster comes in to inspect.
I thought the cost would be more than $25k after reading through all these rear-ear accident threads.

Probably just trying to make sure they get the repair job. I'd be a bit surprised if the total cost to the insurance company (DoV, rental costs, repair costs) ends up being below $25k.

The repair costs are typically dominated by the labor costs though (it's often 70% labor as I recall). If they really are quoting something like $50/hr labor rather than over $100/hr, maybe the costs will stay reasonable.
My initial estimate based on other accidents posted on TMC...
$25k repair
DV = 40% of repair = $10k
rental cost for 2 months = $5k, assuming i'm renting a model S from enterprise.

$40k cost to insurance company
assuming $55k total loss and $20k salvage value (could be more). It would make sense for insurance company to have a total loss.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life