Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GPS location off sometimes?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay, hang on, SC told me software. If they need to replace any hardware, please advise (and what) so I can tell them to order for me as well. I have a newer car.

Its hardware, the service manager told me when I was there yesterday to use their bay to get opti-coat applied to my car.

I told them I'm tired of using my iPhone for navigation and when was the software fix coming (what I was told a week ago). Service manager apologized and said the problem has something to do with the gyro and accelerometer in the unit. He took down my info and said he want to bring me in ASAP next week when the part gets in to replace it.

My SC told me software and that I should be getting firmware pushed in 1-2 weeks that will fix the issue.

Received firmware 5.6 last night (SC emailed me after hours to let me know that it would be showing up--tremendous support from Bellevue SC!). Drove about 35 miles this AM--It appears to have fixed the GPS issue for me. Will report back after more driving.

Received firmware 5.6 last night (SC emailed me after hours to let me know that it would be showing up--tremendous support from Bellevue SC!). Drove about 35 miles this AM--It appears to have fixed the GPS issue for me. Will report back after more driving.

After a couple of days of additional driving, I am sad to report that this issue is back. It occurs much less frequently, but it is still occurring. It manifests itself in two ways: 1) the GPS is sometimes off by 50-100 yards. It shows me driving through buildings, lakes, etc. 2) Occasionally, it lose sense of direction that I am travelling and begins spinning.

Some recent builds have a problem with the gyro in the MCU. There will be replacements done for the affected units. Search these forums for info.
Cool thanks - I think I had read that earlier, but since it seemed to be focused on when 5.0 cane out, I thought it would be more of a software issue.
for what it's worth I have an early VIN and had GPS location problems yesterday (Ver 4.5) for the first time. After I charged my car I noticed that the location on my charging map was in the middle of the boat harbor nearby (~1/4 mile). I have charged at this charger many times and the GPS location for the charger was already on my map. Now I have an extra "wet" location permanently displayed on my map until there is a way to delete charger locations.

Last edited:
Quick update on my GPS issue. Had my car into the service center earlier this week so that they could evaluate my GPS problem more fully. They ended up replacing my MCU (17" panel and control unit). Seems to have fixed the problem so far!

My Model S (one month old) just came back a few days ago from the service center. They had planned on replacing the whole MCU. But in the end they said they updated the firmware to 5.6 and that corrected the problem. I'll test it out this week. My GPS had issues from day one after I received the car (Sept 20th).