Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GPS Sucks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've seen this referenced in other threads under different titles, but none explicitly calling it out. I have a 3 month old P85D and the GPS is terrible, to the point that I have my portable Garmin plugged in. No matter if I put in the address using voice commands or by typing it in, there is no assurance it will find the address. And, if it does, the route it would suggest is often flat out stupid. For example, in driving yesterday, I knew that what I needed to do was make a left hand turn onto a road, perfectly legal.

But no.

Instead, it wanted me to go straight ahead across the intersection, and then at the first possible block, turn right. Then at the next possible block, turn right. Then, as I approached the street where I started, it wanted me to make a left.

Come on guys, this is like clean plates in a restaurant -- please pay attention to the basics -- this isn't rocket surgery.

Mine has worked OK. But by no means great. I really miss my 2006 Acura Nav, where I could choose from 4 different routes on every trip, add way points, etc. I wish that Tesla could cut a deal with Google to use their entire API and just get the darn thing right, consistent and easy to use.

Really. It can't be that hard to do!

Agree with pdq. I can't trust the NAV anymore. I've talked to Service about this and they tell me it's one of the top complaints. No map updates in over 2 years.

It is typical of most vehicles -- the built-in navigation is not horrible but substandard. I often use it along with one of my phone's navigation apps (Apple, Google, Viago/Garmin) when I really don't know how to get there. I just wish

- the turn-by turn on my iPhone 6s+ could be Airplayed instead of having to be mounted.
- Tesla navigation could learn new routes and streets from the driver.

It is typical of most vehicles -- the built-in navigation is not horrible but substandard. I often use it along with one of my phone's navigation apps (Apple, Google, Viago/Garmin) when I really don't know how to get there. I just wish

- the turn-by turn on my iPhone 6s+ could be Airplayed instead of having to be mounted.
- Tesla navigation could learn new routes and streets from the driver.

I'd agree with all that except, for me, my past NAV's were better than this one (Lexus, Mercedes, BMW, Porsche). I just can't trust this one like I could on previous cars. The good news is this is the only car that has the potential via OTA to make it better than anything out there. I'm hoping that is sooner than later.

I'm wondering if the varied opinions are geographically based. Maybe some areas are better than others?

Same here. Tesla's Nav is "ok", but I prefer to use something that is always on the mark. And that's Waze.

Tip to Tesla Motors: drop your Nav and use something proven: Waze. How many times do customers have to tell you this?

If anyone thinks Tesla GPS is good ... like WOW, just WOW.

As much as I have loved my car for almost 3 years, certain things really are BAD.

<rant>

- Browser is a complete joke. Netscape Navigator was better. It cannot even handle an HTML select menu!

- NAV was delivered in beta and is terrible. Most of the time.

- Minor nit-pick but frustrating ... you cannot tap on the horn; you have to give it a full blast and freak out any pedestrians near you.

</rant>

If anyone thinks Tesla GPS is good ... like WOW, just WOW.
There are some features I'd like, but it's actually pretty good. I plan my trips on the computer, not in the car, so the Nav just has to guide me from point to point.

- Browser is a complete joke. Netscape Navigator was better. It cannot even handle an HTML select menu!

An upgrade is coming soon according to Elon. It's main problem lies in the restrictions to meet legal requirements (which won't change with a new browser) and the vertical keyboard.

- NAV was delivered in beta and is terrible. Most of the time.
There are some features I'd like, but it's actually pretty good. I plan my trips on the computer, not in the car, so the Nav just has to guide me from point to point.

- Minor nit-pick but frustrating ... you cannot tap on the horn; you have to give it a full blast and freak out any pedestrians near you.
in 63K miles of Tesla driving and 150K miles of Prius driving, I've yet to have to beep at a pedestrian.

I'm in the camp that think it's sucks, and here is why.

A.) The traffic savings re-routing time setting does not work. I've tried all the settings, and it always re-routes even if it's just to save a few minutes. I eventually gave up on it, and turned it off.
B.) It doesn't give you any option to set whether you want minimal time, or minimal distance
C.) The maps haven't been updated in what two years? Garmin has way better maps and Tesla uses a Garmin owned system so why do we have such old maps?
D.) Occasionally for no reason whatsoever it re-calculates the route. It doesn't say re-calculating or anything else. The screen just shows it, and it does this when I don't deviate from it's route.

I won't include my other reason on my list, but for an Electric car the nav is so absolutely critical. It can't just be an okay nav system, but it has to be one of the best. It should have waze integration, and range assurance needs to work. The range assurance is so piss poor I turned it off.

The only re-deeming quality I've seen of the nav system (as compared to other nav systems) is it's mass easy to enter in a destination if you have cell coverage.

An upgrade is coming soon according to Elon. When did you hear that? It's main problem lies in the restrictions to meet legal requirements (which won't change with a new browser) and the vertical keyboard.

There are some features I'd like, but it's actually pretty good. I plan my trips on the computer (you just contradicted yourself), not in the car, so the Nav just has to guide me from point to point.

in 63K miles of Tesla driving and 150K miles of Prius driving, I've yet to have to beep at a pedestrian.
You've never wanted / needed to just "blip" at someone / another car?

I've actually been asked on more than one occasion to drive into the Gulf (in Key West), it gets so confused.
The only good thing about it is it is enormous.
But as others have said, not even waypoints.
Guess what irks me the most is that they come out with new features (like Calendar) and the all new GUI, that I could care less about, and don't fix old stuff.
Still the best car in the world, all I do is scream when renting a gas guzzler (a key, really?), but it could be even (so much) better.

This must be a regional issue since the opinions and experiences using Tesla's NAV is so different between us. For me it is so inaccurate it is almost unusable and people at my local SvC say it's the number one complaint.