Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

News for Model X owners with the dreaded shudder

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I spoke to the service adviser at the Oakville (Toronto) SC about my vibration and he said "Tesla was now looking at a software fix that would reduce the torque to the front motor on hard acceleration". Not sure if this was BS to get rid of me, but I asked him to make sure my vehicle record shows that I have complained about this issue.
Then they will be sued for reducing power, also it would not solve the problem.

Reactions: hiroshiy
Then they will be sued for reducing power, also it would not solve the problem.
They could increase the torque to the rear motor to compensate for the reduced front. I assume in perfect conditions the rear motor is doing most of the work, the fronts only along for the the ride. That's why the P has a bigger motor at the rear, plus the traction control will take over and reduce power if grip is lost.
As my vehicle is 100D, I'd be happy with a slight reduction in hard acceleration times not to have the shudder, it's still faster than 95% of the vehicles on the road and by far the best I've ever owned.

Understand that tire wear is not an issue, running on low.
I am not convinced that is correct. Let us know how it works for you.

For those of us who tow with our Model X, changing the SAS to Low is not an option: when in Tow Mode the car goes to Standard and that cannot be overridden.

My MX 90D 7-seat HW2 with ~20K miles is at the Fremont Service Center right now for some issues including what I call the "wobble" during acceleration which I'm assuming is the shudder issue here. The whole car wobbles right and left so much so that I see the mirrors shaking while accelerating.

The SS rep told me it is a well-known problem, and that they even have an internal video showing the exact part which is vibrating. However, there is no official part to replace/fix it yet as of Nov 1, 2018.

What I would suggest to everyone is, if your car is still in warranty and has this issue, take it in even if they don't have the fix. Make sure you get it in writing that Tesla has acknowledged in writing on your service order form the issue. This way, even if your warranty runs out, you will have the history showing that you took it while you had the warranty and should be able to get the fix later. Though, knowing Tesla being a general good-will company, I feel confident they will issue the fix to everyone who has this issue.

The other issues I took it in for:

1. Seat belt for the rightmost seat of the middle row is all twisted and not retracting.
  2. When rolling up or down the windows, there are very loud squeaks. Had this issue since I got the car and thought eventually the noise would end, but it hasn't. Brought it in before for this issue, they supposedly cleaned it but didn't fix the problem. Not sure if others had this issue too?
  3. Falcon wing doors don't always open enough, sometimes even with zero obstacles anywhere they won't open. I had brought it in twice before for this issue, and they did nothing. This time I logged with photos, timestamps, GPS coordinates, noted the temperates for cold/hot going back since Feb 2018 proving the issue is there. They still were skeptical! Fortunately, they told me via SMS that they finally recognize the problem and are doing repairs on the doors.
  4. The last thing, I've been waiting to order the tow package which is always showing as out of stock on their website. The service center was able to order it for me anyhow! Excited about that as we'd like to rent an airstream and tow it.
Aside's the above, one other new thing to report. I've always in the past got some non-Tesla rental car via Hertz or more recently Enterprise. Recently Enterprise has directly purchased a bunch of Tesla's, and they are renting that fleet to the Tesla Service Center customers. That's the good news, the sad news part of it, they are without EAP (Enhanced Auto Pilot) :-( Very sad to drive a Tesla without it, but beats driving a non-Tesla.

p.s. my first post after two years, howdy :)

My MX 90D 7-seat HW2 with ~20K miles is at the Fremont Service Center right now for some issues including what I call the "wobble" during acceleration which I'm assuming is the shudder issue here. The whole car wobbles right and left so much so that I see the mirrors shaking while accelerating.

The SS rep told me it is a well-known problem, and that they even have an internal video showing the exact part which is vibrating. However, there is no official part to replace/fix it yet as of Nov 1, 2018.

What I would suggest to everyone is, if your car is still in warranty and has this issue, take it in even if they don't have the fix. Make sure you get it in writing that Tesla has acknowledged in writing on your service order form the issue. This way, even if your warranty runs out, you will have the history showing that you took it while you had the warranty and should be able to get the fix later. Though, knowing Tesla being a general good-will company, I feel confident they will issue the fix to everyone who has this issue.

The other issues I took it in for:

1. Seat belt for the rightmost seat of the middle row is all twisted and not retracting.
  2. When rolling up or down the windows, there are very loud squeaks. Had this issue since I got the car and thought eventually the noise would end, but it hasn't. Brought it in before for this issue, they supposedly cleaned it but didn't fix the problem. Not sure if others had this issue too?
  3. Falcon wing doors don't always open enough, sometimes even with zero obstacles anywhere they won't open. I had brought it in twice before for this issue, and they did nothing. This time I logged with photos, timestamps, GPS coordinates, noted the temperates for cold/hot going back since Feb 2018 proving the issue is there. They still were skeptical! Fortunately, they told me via SMS that they finally recognize the problem and are doing repairs on the doors.
  4. The last thing, I've been waiting to order the tow package which is always showing as out of stock on their website. The service center was able to order it for me anyhow! Excited about that as we'd like to rent an airstream and tow it.
Aside's the above, one other new thing to report. I've always in the past got some non-Tesla rental car via Hertz or more recently Enterprise. Recently Enterprise has directly purchased a bunch of Tesla's, and they are renting that fleet to the Tesla Service Center customers. That's the good news, the sad news part of it, they are without EAP (Enhanced Auto Pilot) :-( Very sad to drive a Tesla without it, but beats driving a non-Tesla.

p.s. my first post after two years, howdy :)

#2 - Very common. Gummi Pfledge is what Tesla uses to fix it. You can buy It yourself on Amazon and apply as needed.

• Helpful
Reactions: Ramiel and mickey6
#2 - Very common. Gummi Pfledge is what Tesla uses to fix it. You can buy It yourself on Amazon and apply as needed.

@VikH Thank you so much for this! I'm surprised the Fremont Tesla Service Team hasn't suggested this fix for the last time I've taken the MX in for the window squeaks. I've bookmarked the Gummi Pfledge product on Amazon and if they didn't add it, will buy it and inform them.

Thanks for your report about the shudder issue and what Tesla said, I appreciate it
When rolling up or down the windows, there are very loud squeaks. Had this issue since I got the car and thought eventually the noise would end, but it hasn't. Brought it in before for this issue, they supposedly cleaned it but didn't fix the problem. Not sure if others had this issue too?
There is a thread about this. Some people, including myself, have sprayed a bit on the X window seals, wiped it to rub it in a little, and the squeak goes away. After months of squeaking I only had to do that once and so far no squeaking for many months.
The last thing, I've been waiting to order the tow package which is always showing as out of stock on their website. The service center was able to order it for me anyhow! Excited about that as we'd like to rent an airstream and tow it.
As someone who tows with an X I’m always happy to hear from another owner who plans to to tow a travel trailer. Be aware that you will need to install a brake controller in your car to control the trailer brakes. Search TMC for “Tekonsha” and you will find a very helpful thread about that. Then read the thread about energy efficiency when towing, started by @ohmman. Very important info.

• Helpful
Reactions: Ramiel
Is there a consensus that tire wear is not an issue? Do we have any stats to show that is not an issue? Genuinely interested to know.

Tyre wear is not an issue on low setting IF the static camber is set correctly for the low setting. Some people are of the opinion that you can't adjust static camber settings on the X, but my SC did just that at the last service, both front and rear. My tyre wear has been even across all 4 treads over 13K miles with suspension set to low. I don't have the shudder issue on my uncorked MX 75D, at least not yet!

However, what I did notice on the suspension setting sheet was that the factory tolerance on camber settings is very wide, so it's really luck of the draw with wheel alignment and tyre wear (at any ride height) unless you get your SC to specifically align them for you at your preferred ride height. Our local SC is very pro-active in doing this now (FOC, so not a money making scam).

I've said this many times before, but everyone should monitor their tyre wear regularly (at least every few thousand miles) and act accordingly with alignment. Too much wear on the inside edge of the tread means too much static camber and vice-versa. Lowering ride height increases static camber and vice-versa.

The only disadvantage to running low ride height is reduced ground clearance, which has caught me out a couple of times when climbing kerbs etc. But otherwise handling is improved and ride quality is the same as standard.

As someone who tows with an X I’m always happy to hear from another owner who plans to to tow a travel trailer. Be aware that you will need to install a brake controller in your car to control the trailer brakes. Search TMC for “Tekonsha” and you will find a very helpful thread about that. Then read the thread about energy efficiency when towing, started by @ohmman. Very important info.

@ecarfan Thank you so much for the tips about window squeaks, and especially the tow package info. Will look into the trailer breaks "Tekonsha" and the energy thread. We are planning to first rent an Airstream to get a good feel before we consider buying one. Plan to take a familiar route first, such as to Yosemite. :)

In Japan people use Wako fluoride oil 105, which is basically KRYTOX 105 to stop the creaking power windows. I think you can find deliberative products in your country, too. It is really effective, but it's oil, so don't apply too much. Just spray on a old towel and apply on window on outside.

I got my MX 90D back today. Here is a direct paste of what Tesla Service Center wrote on the Service Invoice:
Corrections: Exterior NVH General Diagnosis
Inspected customer concern. Known issue under investigation by service engineering, with high importance. Avoid hard acceleration when suspension is set to normal or higher if possible. Condition will not known to damage vehicle. Condition is not as noticeable in low or very low setting.

It's nice to see they said "known issue under investigation" and "high importance."

They fixed the window squeaking; they wrote "Verified customer concern, cleaned windows and seat with bead maker. Confirmed loud squeaky noise is no longer present." I'm not sure what "bead maker" is, but it's fixed, so I'm happy.

Everything else seems resolved, including seat belt issue. For the FWD, Service invoice said they replaced a lot of parts, so we'll see if it's fixed over time. Service Invoice said:
Verified customer concern, removed and replaced left and right ultrasonic sensors and falcon door cladding sensors

ASY, RHS CLADDING & CAPACITIVE SENSOR (1097664-00-B)
ASY,LHS CLADDING & CAPACITIVE SENSOR (1097663-00-B)
SENSOR, ULTRASONIC, RADIAL,COUPLING TAPE (1055890-00-E)
ASY, SENSOR CARRIER W/ADHESIVES, RIGHT (1075448-00-C)
BACKUP CAMERA (SEMCO) (1061269-00-C)
... not sure why they replaced the Backup Camera?
They replaced the below struts due to noises the FWD were making:
RR DOOR EM STRUT - PRIMARY LH RR/RH FRT (1063440-00-D)
RR DOOR EM STRUT - PRIMARY LH FRT/RH RR (1063440-01-D)
RR DOOR EM STRUT - SECONDARY (1063441-00-C)

Regarding the Enterprise rental car without EAP, I did update it to 2018.42.2 and yesterday it gave me the option to enable 30 day trial of EAP, so that was nice!!! While driving an MS 75D was great, I much prefer my roomier MX with the big windshield.

I'm also excited to have the Tow package. I got both the square shaped toe hitch, as well ball hitch. The ball hitch is really nice to just leave on when I'm not towing because it protrudes and will prevent someone from bumping into my back bumper.

... of course, as we know, new problems show up. As I picked up my MX, I also noticed my main display has yellowing at the top and left side... will just have to wait for other issues to gather up before I take it back. :)

I also want to say a warm thanks for some of the Tesla Service Center folks who were so extremely kind and helpful. Please treat these people kindly! Marvin, Jeremey, and Susan are awesome and can't thank them enough for their help over the years.

Took my 2017 Model X in for a few things and mentioned the shudder. I even spoke to the head tech at my local SC about it. He said that he brings it up regularly with HQ engineers. He said they are indeed working on new parts but that they are not ready. No mention of a software fix as others have stated. I’m really looking forward to the fix as I even feel it on Low. Only Very low makes it go away.

I had some of the same issues as you!
  1. I was able to fix the belt myself. It's easy! Pull the entire seat belt out, retracting it fully, and then straighten it and slowly and carefully roll it back, ensuring it doesn't fold over itself when rolling back up inside. Should be fixed.
  2. There were two causes to my squeaks, one is bad/new rubber seals. That should be fixed by Gummi Pfledge. The other was that the long chrome pieces on the doors which hold the window in from the outside, were misaligned and "too tight". Tesla had to replace one because it fell out while rolling the window up, and readjusted the other one.
  3. My doors are fine, but they are always overcautious, which is actually good for me. Glad you're getting your sensors fixed.
  4. My Model X was not delivered with the Tow Package bag. I didn't know to look for it. I should have asked. I emailed Tesla several weeks ago about it but no response :(

• Helpful
Reactions: Ramiel