Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Great Ski Rack (minor DIY required) for Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...and it's a bit expensive....

Attachments

• IMG_1108.JPG
    IMG_1108.JPG
    315.4 KB · Views: 797
HeY guys.

The MFT Backbox is definitely the best solution for Model X. Especially if you don't like to clean your skies after every trip.

I've been using it now several times up to my cottage at Lillehammer. It's easy to use and you can dismantle it yourself in a few minutes.

Only drawback is that it takes maximum 188 cm skies. But you can remove the extenders and leave a longer bag with your skies inside.
Hopefully someone can 3D print some larger extensions so skies up to 210 cm could fit. Shouldn't be difficult or expensive ;-)
It's not very nice to tease us here in North America, since we can't order them here. If you can convince MFT to arrange shipping to North America, we'll forgive you. :rolleyes:

HeY guys.

The MFT Backbox is definitely the best solution for Model X. Especially if you don't like to clean your skies after every trip.

I've been using it now several times up to my cottage at Lillehammer. It's easy to use and you can dismantle it yourself in a few minutes.

Only drawback is that it takes maximum 188 cm skies. But you can remove the extenders and leave a longer bag with your skies inside.
Hopefully someone can 3D print some larger extensions so skies up to 210 cm could fit. Shouldn't be difficult or expensive ;-)

It's not very nice to tease us here in North America, since we can't order them here. If you can convince MFT to arrange shipping to North America, we'll forgive you. :rolleyes:
Or are you offering to buy them for us and ship them to the US? :p;)

• Love
Reactions: vandacca
View attachment 208894 View attachment 208891 View attachment 208892 View attachment 208893 I have another roof rack solution that works really well and is maybe more traditional......

Here are a few photos of my roof box config and my ski rack config with the same base support.

I took sea sucker kayak bars and shortened the back one by 11cm. Also switched out as a later upgrade the inner suctioncup on that bar to a smaller one to fit better on the central roof strip.

I use an off the rack ski holder solution that I swap out for a Thule Touring Sport roof box.

When using the ski holder the free FWD works as normal. However, when using the roof box one has to override the censor from the touch screen to open properly. Minor inconvenience considering the benifirs.
How wide is your roof box ? I have the thule atlantis 2100xt and am wondering if it would clear.

Here is my ski rack system. Love the others above. I used my old yakima bike rack, my thule long ski racks from my old roof rack, and a $35 hitch extender, so that I can open the back at all times. It folds down for parking or supercharging, and when up I can see out the back and with the camera. It locks the equipment and to to car. Currently holding 4 skis and 2 snowboards. Lots of room in the X, so don't miss my roof box for the rest of the equipment.

View attachment 208959 View attachment 208960 View attachment 208961

I like this setup. How did you attach the ski racks to the bike rack?
Can you show an image?
Thanks!

It looks like you need to also get the BackCarrier (Art. No. 1201) hitch mount. Also, it only comes with the small insert and if you wanted the medium or large insert to expand the area, that's also extra.

Does anyone know with certainty that this system is compatible with US/Canadian vehicles? Are the trailer light connection the same? Is the BackCarrier configured for a 2" hitch?

Something like is what I am looking into... I think it is versatile for multiple applications and it protects the gear

So far I have found the following options, with key differences in between.

(US)
Thule - https://www.amazon.com/Thule-665C-Transporter-Combi-Hitch-Mount/dp/B00152VYLQ
Stowaway - Tesla, Tested: The StowAway and Tesla Model X a Perfect Pairing
Tesla - Model X Ski/Snowboard Carrier for Hitch Rack

(EU- but someone mentioned that they ship to US)
MFT - BackBox | mft transport systems

Thule - box style
- Seems like a good size, not sure if it is large enough for skies.
- The lid opening angle seems funny (in an angle across the side), this can prevent you from filling the box to the top.
- Has a lock
- It tilts (swings downwards for you to open the back)
- photo/videos (of Model X occurrences)
(none)

Stowaway - box style
- Large size, not sure if is large enough for skies.
- The lid opening is at the top
- Has a lock
- It swings sideway for you to open the back
http://blog.stowaway2.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/IMG_4828.jpg

Tesla - rack style
- no size, specially designed for skies
- no lid
- has a lock
- unsure if it swings in anyway
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/attachments/543f6df8-63b3-4c41-86d4-04b24aa538b8-jpeg.271125/

MFT - box style
- Large size, comes with special attachment for skies
- The lid opening is at the top
- has a lock
- It tilts (swings downwards for you to open the back)
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/attachments/img_0761-jpg.277102/

Of course there are others:
-- Thule velospace (but can’t find where they sell it)-

-- xbox (bjorn) -

-- --
If you found it useful, please reach out for a referral code

So far I have found the following options, with key differences in between.

(US)
Thule - https://www.amazon.com/Thule-665C-Transporter-Combi-Hitch-Mount/dp/B00152VYLQ
Stowaway - Tesla, Tested: The StowAway and Tesla Model X a Perfect Pairing
Tesla - Model X Ski/Snowboard Carrier for Hitch Rack

(EU- but someone mentioned that they ship to US)
MFT - BackBox | mft transport systems
They do not ship to Canada or US. Only Germany and a few other European countries.

The challenge: I have a Model S with glass roof and was initially wary of the Seasucker solution, which in retrospect might have been fine. I also didn't love the idea of a hitch-mounted ski rack that required first buying a bike rack, then a separate ski rack attachment, and on top of all that expense still didn't prevent the skis from getting covered in road dirt and salt. My creative side was inspired by the posts in this chain.

The solution: I happened to have a Thule car top carrier from an old vehicle, no longer useful for putting on top. For $100, I purchased a hitch-mounted cargo rack, and got an EcoHitch installed on the S. The rack is one that has unusually short side walls, which is ideal for this purpose. Then I attached two tie-down straps from the inside of the car top carrier, through the cargo rack, to secure the car top carrier to the cargo rack. (I never detach these two items, just leave them together on a shelf in my garage.)

Review: This is a relatively inexpensive solution, as one can get used car top carriers on Craigslist. It is flexible: it can be used for about 100-150 lbs of luggage, skis, or whatever. It keeps contents dry and clean. It actually holds a lot more skis than any ski rack, although I'm not sure if it would fit a board. It's also relatively aerodynamic, I think, as it sits low and close to the car, and I haven't noticed an effect on efficiency. It's a pretty large and heavy contraption, so it's one that works best when it can be stored in the garage, right where the vehicle parks. It's great for ski trips, and I also plan to use it in the summer for family trips to the lake house.

Many superchargers have a spot for vehicles with trailers. But at the remainder of superchargers, I have found that with some care it's possible to squeeze this contraption between the supercharger signs and the superchargers themselves, such that I can charge without needing to remove it or fold it up (which there's not room for anyway, without a hitch extender, which would increase the effective tongue weight and therefore reduce carrying capacity).

IMG_2363.jpg
IMG_2364.jpg
IMG_2365.png IMG_2366.png

The challenge: I have a Model S with glass roof and was initially wary of the Seasucker solution, which in retrospect might have been fine. I also didn't love the idea of a hitch-mounted ski rack that required first buying a bike rack, then a separate ski rack attachment, and on top of all that expense still didn't prevent the skis from getting covered in road dirt and salt. My creative side was inspired by the posts in this chain.

The solution: I happened to have a Thule car top carrier from an old vehicle, no longer useful for putting on top. For $100, I purchased a hitch-mounted cargo rack, and got an EcoHitch installed on the S. The rack is one that has unusually short side walls, which is ideal for this purpose. Then I attached two tie-down straps from the inside of the car top carrier, through the cargo rack, to secure the car top carrier to the cargo rack. (I never detach these two items, just leave them together on a shelf in my garage.)

Review: This is a relatively inexpensive solution, as one can get used car top carriers on Craigslist. It is flexible: it can be used for about 100-150 lbs of luggage, skis, or whatever. It keeps contents dry and clean. It actually holds a lot more skis than any ski rack, although I'm not sure if it would fit a board. It's also relatively aerodynamic, I think, as it sits low and close to the car, and I haven't noticed an effect on efficiency. It's a pretty large and heavy contraption, so it's one that works best when it can be stored in the garage, right where the vehicle parks. It's great for ski trips, and I also plan to use it in the summer for family trips to the lake house.

Many superchargers have a spot for vehicles with trailers. But at the remainder of superchargers, I have found that with some care it's possible to squeeze this contraption between the supercharger signs and the superchargers themselves, such that I can charge without needing to remove it or fold it up (which there's not room for anyway, without a hitch extender, which would increase the effective tongue weight and therefore reduce carrying capacity).

View attachment 364949 View attachment 364950 View attachment 364951 View attachment 364952

Glass roof, model S.... no better situation to use sea sucker.

View attachment 364949 View attachment 364950 View attachment 364951 View attachment 364952

Is it long enough to store the skies?