Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Greedy electricians - gotta pay them or keep looking?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A lot of information going on here. First let me state that I am an electrician and own my own small company so I am going to be biased. As far as the prices quoted in the first post I think those are quite reasonable and most of what the electricians said were true but I would say the electricians probably don't have a ton of experiences with electrical vehicles.

About the new wire because its 240.... while you do not need another wire for EV chargers, MOST new 240 circuits will require two hots, a neutral, and a ground. This to me indicates the electrician doesn't have a lot of experience with EVs but doesn't mean he isn't a qualified electrician.

About the drilling thru the wall... Dealing with existing boxes/wiring will usually end up costing more or at least similar than doing a new outlet. In a new situation I get to bring materials that I KNOW work well together and can be confident in the installation. Say I go to open your existing outdoor box and its done completely not-to-code or is dangerous for one way or another. I have to spend time (and thus money) to fix this and explain to you why something that seemed to be working fine will cost more.

As far as changing out the outlet to a 240v outlet... Unless I could physically trace the wire going from the panel to that outlet I wouldn't dare do it. How do I know there isn't another outlet in the house on that same circuit. Also I can't take the homeowners word for it that there isn't anything else on the circuit because if something is missed it can make for a dangerous situation.

The GFCI breaker pricing... Most residential electricians rarely use 240v GFCI breakers and the ones that do it is for newer requirements such as pool equipment. I have a theory about the pricing mistake as well. Recently GFCI devices are required to "self-test" instead of relying on the homeowner to test them monthly. In a very short span a lot of GFCI breakers doubled in price. I quoted a swimming pool job were the breakers went from $60-$130 in the time I quoted the job to doing the job 2 months later. If the electricians were going from memory on the GFCI breaker cost and than looked them up later I'm sure they were shocked.

$125/hr hourly rate is well within the range of licensed electricians in the MD/DC/VA area, cant speak for CT.

Now I am not blindly going to defend all electricians because there are some greedy ones out there for sure. I have been to customers houses that paid $1500 for a 14-50 that I would have charged $350 or so.

The permit is going to be a regional thing. I have counties by me that I can pull the permit online and I have others that I must go and sit and wait and it could take a few hours there not counting drive time. Also some counties may be $75 for a permit, others I'm not walking out of there with a bill under $200 even for something small. The more rural the area typically the cheaper the permit will cost in my experience. If a customer wants a permit than a permit is pulled. If the customer doesn't want a permit than a permit is not pulled. It is the homeowners decision. Also who is sitting around waiting for inspections will make a big difference in costs as well. If I have to sit around and wait for an inspector than I will have to charge for my time, if the homeowner wants to take a day off to wait than it will obviously be cheaper for them.

Sorry for the mile long post but its tough to read someone bash someone in my profession that from the outside looking in seemed to be doing his/her job reasonably.

Independent electricians are running their own business. If they have more work than they can handle, some will jack up the price if they think you're loaded, some won't - everybody is their own person and makes their own decisions.

The money they collect (after subtracting the cost of their tools, truck, gas, supplies, advertising, licensing, education, etc.) is the money they use to put a roof over their heads, put food on the table for their family, clothes, etc.. They also have to pay income tax and full Social Security out of that. The time involved on the job is not all the time it takes them. They have to do the permitting, ordering of materials, picking up materials, make the bid (if not working by the hour), etc.

My point is, they might be good at what they do, work hard at it, deal with unreasonable people, and not make all that much money at the end of the year when all is said and done. They HAVE to charge (what might seem like) a lot of money to make it all pencil out for the year. I'm more likely to be mad at a corporation for overcharging than an independent businessperson trying to make a decent living.

That said, some electricians will and do overcharge. Anyone who finds themselves in this situation needs to deal with it by finding one that doesn't. But if they can't, chances are they just have unrealistic expectations. Or, they could learn how to do it themself (properly) instead of bitching about how nobody wants to do it for the amount they think they should get paid to work for them.

I installed my own 48 amp charging solution at my ski cabin for a total cost of $440. But I got the HPWC free through the referral program and most of the lumber I used was already in my discarded lumber pile. I didn't even have a garage so I needed to run it through about 30' of conduit and trench out to the driveway. It rains a lot here (and can snow heavily sometimes) so I built a roof to keep the weather off it.

View attachment 499254
pretty damn good job with that little hut for the EVSE.

As far as changing out the outlet to a 240v outlet... Unless I could physically trace the wire going from the panel to that outlet I wouldn't dare do it. How do I know there isn't another outlet in the house on that same circuit. Also I can't take the homeowners word for it that there isn't anything else on the circuit because if something is missed it can make for a dangerous situation.

Definitely be smart to replace the wiring anyway. Old wiring with high load is just asking for trouble. And when you try to pull out the old wiring, you will know if there are other receptacles attached to it, or not. :)

The concern if I can't follow the wires 100% of the way is the following:
Say the wire goes from the electrical panel, thru a crawl space and than dips up to an outlet in the laundry room that you never use, back down to the crawl space and thru to the outside outlet. Homeowner tells me there isn't anything else on that circuit since they never use the outlet in the laundry room. I pull the outlet open on the outside and see one wire coming in, Hot, Neutral and Ground. I convert the outlet over to a NEMA 6-20r and swap the single pole breaker to a two pole breaker and all it works as its supposed to. 3 Months later the homeowner decided to plug in a vacuum to the laundry room outlet which is now a 240v outlet instead of a 120v and BOOM, blown vac. Who is responsible for this? Whoever you think is at fault here you prob aren't going to hire that electrician again nor are you going to recommend them to a friend or neighbor.

Is this situation common? No, but trust me, we see some STRANGE wiring all the time in residential jobs. It is often the better idea to run new that way you can certify it is done properly.

I could never be an electrician because although I have done a lot of my own wiring and repairs over the years I still can’t figure out how 4-way switches work.
Neither can the idiot builder electrician that wired my house. My back patio light/fans had it wired so that it was 0v/120v/240v. Those fans really cranked up fast at 240v!!!

Last edited:
A lot of information going on here. First let me state that I am an electrician and own my own small company so I am going to be biased. As far as the prices quoted in the first post I think those are quite reasonable and most of what the electricians said were true but I would say the electricians probably don't have a ton of experiences with electrical vehicles.

About the new wire because its 240.... while you do not need another wire for EV chargers, MOST new 240 circuits will require two hots, a neutral, and a ground. This to me indicates the electrician doesn't have a lot of experience with EVs but doesn't mean he isn't a qualified electrician.

About the drilling thru the wall... Dealing with existing boxes/wiring will usually end up costing more or at least similar than doing a new outlet. In a new situation I get to bring materials that I KNOW work well together and can be confident in the installation. Say I go to open your existing outdoor box and its done completely not-to-code or is dangerous for one way or another. I have to spend time (and thus money) to fix this and explain to you why something that seemed to be working fine will cost more.

The GFCI breaker pricing... Most residential electricians rarely use 240v GFCI breakers and the ones that do it is for newer requirements such as pool equipment. I have a theory about the pricing mistake as well. Recently GFCI devices are required to "self-test" instead of relying on the homeowner to test them monthly. In a very short span a lot of GFCI breakers doubled in price. I quoted a swimming pool job were the breakers went from $60-$130 in the time I quoted the job to doing the job 2 months later. If the electricians were going from memory on the GFCI breaker cost and than looked them up later I'm sure they were shocked.

$125/hr hourly rate is well within the range of licensed electricians in the MD/DC/VA area, cant speak for CT.

Now I am not blindly going to defend all electricians because there are some greedy ones out there for sure. I have been to customers houses that paid $1500 for a 14-50 that I would have charged $350 or so.

The permit is going to be a regional thing. I have counties by me that I can pull the permit online and I have others that I must go and sit and wait and it could take a few hours there not counting drive time. Also some counties may be $75 for a permit, others I'm not walking out of there with a bill under $200 even for something small. The more rural the area typically the cheaper the permit will cost in my experience. If a customer wants a permit than a permit is pulled. If the customer doesn't want a permit than a permit is not pulled. It is the homeowners decision. Also who is sitting around waiting for inspections will make a big difference in costs as well. If I have to sit around and wait for an inspector than I will have to charge for my time, if the homeowner wants to take a day off to wait than it will obviously be cheaper for them.

Sorry for the mile long post but its tough to read someone bash someone in my profession that from the outside looking in seemed to be doing his/her job reasonably.
Excellent post. Thank you. Your a good electrician and a good writer. You should write textbooks or a blog or something.

Reactions: outdoors
Considering making a 6-20 or 14-30 outdoor outlet. Less than 25' in unfinished basement, replace existing 120v outlet on outside of the house.

I've only gotten 2 quotes so far - they're all in the same ballpark, but very expensive. Its an expensive area in CT, definitely a lot of Tesla Model S around. Problem is, these are the only 2 guys who replied so-far, and they do seem busy, but they also seem like they have no set prices and just want as much money as possible. They're not considering the job in question - they're considering how much you can afford to pay to give in.

First quote is $500 parts and labor, $350 permits and inspections. Went down to $500 labor $150 parts, but he's not too happy (not quitting but doesn't sound like he'd actually honor the deal).

Second quote is $825 and says "well the town would say you need permits for everything, but this is just a simple job" Wants extra $95 for inspections. Not even doing GFCI breaker.

Other quotes from these guys:
"oh.... its for an electric vehhhiccccleeeee chargerrrrrrrrrr ahhhhhhhh I seeeee" (not exaggeration)
"we need to run a new line because 240 volts needs a new wire"
[already has a hole in the wall] "we're going to need to drill through the wall"
Is 30A more expensive than 20A "yeah, its going to be wayyyyy more"
"So I just realized that I priced out the GFCI breaker incorrectly... let me check with the inspector if it needs a GFCI breaker in your town"
So the price can be more or less than your estimate? What is your hourly rate? "we bill by half day or full day, $125 /hr. hope that answers your question"
Waste of thread. Those prices are well within the range, pick one or just do it yourself. If you find yourself slightly DIY capable, it isnt rocket science to wire a EV charger. Did it myself in about 3 hours after a quick home depot run. I'm not dismissing the need for an electrician, electricity isnt something to play around as you could get seriously hurt.
You sound like the exact customer i hate meeting when customers refer me to other people, don't value the experience over what the tech has to do. Doesn't matter if it takes people 15 minutes to do a job, it may take someone else 2 hours. You pay for the knowledge, not how much work someone does for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: CharleyBC
Check your city hall. Some cities require the contractor to be licensed in that city, and the permit fees are sometimes nuts.

For just the permit and inspection of my solar, it was $2000. They did about 2 hrs of work max.

That's why you find so many unlicensed handymen and unpermitted projects. And why I do my own electrical work.

Last edited:
First guy I called quoted what seemed like an absurdly high number ($880) to run 18 inches from my panel to a 14-50, including materials. Had a gut feeling it was because I said "Tesla" in their online quote request form since it asked for make/model if installing EVSE… convinced a friend in the neighbourhood with the exact same house design to submit a request to the same company a couple of weeks later for a "Leaf". Quoted amount? $550. Still a bit ridiculous but it's the bay area, I guess, and it was inline with most other quotes.

Took my business elsewhere from that place, of course. Ended up getting it done for a bit over $300 due to a friend of a friend knowing a guy yadda yadda.

Reactions: eevee-fan