Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Green Light Chime

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Morning,
I installed 2020.36 and was expecting to see the Green Light Chime option

Online release notes indicate you need to enable it “To enable, tap Controls > Autopilot > Green Traffic Light Chime.“

However, I don’t have that option nor did my release notes say I have it.

I do not have FSD. Is this the reason?

None FSD here also, I don’t have the Green light option but I do have the Speed Limit visual, will go for a spin to try it. From Dirty Tesla videos on YouTube looks like their is a learning process.

Fred

I think this feature should also be available to autopilot only users. Thought the post was pretty clear...guess not.
Agreed. A driver assistance system for a driverless software suite. Lol. Perhaps once automatic go-on-green arrives, this’ll be enabled on non-FSD HW3 cars as well. For now, slightly disappointing; but understandable considering how expensive FSD is, and how little features it has.

Agreed. A driver assistance system for a driverless software suite. Lol. Perhaps once automatic go-on-green arrives, this’ll be enabled on non-FSD HW3 cars as well. For now, slightly disappointing; but understandable considering how expensive FSD is, and how little features it has.

I just don't see how the feature can be claimed as a part of FSD. In a scenario where autopilot/FSD is engaged, the feature isn't necessary. Its primary function is to alert the manual driver to proceed.

FSD should obviously have access to many features that autopilot doesn't have, they paid a lot of extra money for it. I just don't think this option sits there. To me anyone who feels it should, is grasping for anything to differentiate the FSD package and give a justification for paying the additional money.

FSD should obviously have access to many features that autopilot doesn't have, they paid a lot of extra money for it. I just don't think this option sits there. To me anyone who feels it should, is grasping for anything to differentiate the FSD package and give a justification for paying the additional money.

If it doesn't belong in FSD, and Tesla isn't giving things away for free, should they make an Advanced Diver Assistance package that is between AP and FSD? What should it include? Driver initiated lane changes while on AP, Chime on green, Basic Summon, and what else? How much should it cost?

If it doesn't belong in FSD, and Tesla isn't giving things away for free, should they make an Advanced Diver Assistance package that is between AP and FSD? What should it include? Driver initiated lane changes while on AP, Chime on green, Basic Summon, and what else? How much should it cost?

I think Tesla gives away things for free with every update. There are new features for people with autopilot only in every update.

There are several driver assist features that are included in autopilot, and I think this light chime has more in common with those features.

As new features come to market, I do agree that they have an opportunity to add another level between AP and FSD. With more advanced FSD features coming online and the price continuing to go up, it will likely push FSD out of some peoples budget. There could be incremental revenue to be made if they could add a middle level with some options. Would also give people a stepping stone to FSD, could space out the upgrade price over time.

For instance lets say FSD's upgrade price eventually gets to $15k

Advanced autopilot $7,500

FSD - $15,000

Just my 2 cents

Last edited:
I just don't see how the feature can be claimed as a part of FSD. In a scenario where autopilot/FSD is engaged, the feature isn't necessary. Its primary function is to alert the manual driver to proceed.

But Autopilot is essentially lane keeping for highways, and highways don't have stop lights, so Chime on green doesn't belong in AP either. And the only paid package they currently have to put it in is FSD.

Took my ride, the posting of the speed limit signs was instantly, but it didn’t slow my car down when the Speed Limit dropped to a slow speed. I guess the ability for the car to slow down on its own is mainly for Full Self Driving. I did have the Speed Limit chime set to go off anything after +5 and that worked great. I was surprised how fast I was over the +5 speed limit and it reminded me to slow your A$$ down! Will check the Chime on the Green light later, I don’t think it will work for none FSD as it’s not listed in the menu, but we will see.

Fred

There will eventually be a lot of features that will be for FSD only that will also be helpful for manual driving. Standard autopilot still has the same safety features but I think the driving features will remain specific to autopilot intended features. Autopilot is supposed to be just for highways really, but Tesla doesn't use a mapped out system for autopilot like Cadillac and some other makes, so it can drive anywhere with lane markers.

While i'm not disputing that everybody should have access to this update. Does this even matter? I mean you should be paying attention to the road right? Is the bright green light not indication enough? We need more stimulus like an annoying chime every single time a light turns green? In a city where I swear there is a controlled intersection every 2m...this is just downright annoying!

Not a feature I'm going to be turning on. The car squawks at me enough on a regular basis as it is! :eek:

Finally took my MY out yesterday with the 2020.36 update, the green light chime is almost immediate when the light changes. This might get annoying to me as the car already has a lot of beeps and boops. I can see why it's part of the FSD package. The car stopped itself at the red light, it knows it can go but needs a human to approve. Someday it will be safe enough to go on green vice chime.

• Informative
Reactions: jsmay311
the green light chime is almost immediate when the light changes. This might get annoying...

That’s crazy and yes would be terribly annoying! The early collision warning is well done, if you’re at all trending to slow it will suppress the beeps - the green light chime should delay at least 1 second. I would expect it would also suppress the chime if you reduce or remove pressure from the brake pedal (or depress the accelerator pedal even only enough to release “hold” mode).

Reactions: jsmay311