Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Green New Deal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, a boon for the insurance companies that now have more customers and get a cut of their healthcare payments. The insurance companies played it very well.

Wasn't having everyone insured going to lower our healthcare costs because people would get regular healthcare? Costs went up as a % of GDP.

Costs are higher, and outcomes are unchanged.
It's as if one of the political parties systematically did things to undermine the cost cutting measures, and put strain on the system. Oh wait. They did.

Reactions: jerry33
It's as if one of the political parties systematically did things to undermine the cost cutting measures, and put strain on the system. Oh wait. They did.
What cost-cutting measures, and what actions??

All the ACA did was change who pays for healthcare, and did nothing to change the cost of healthcare which has not only risen, but also increased as a % of GDP.

• Disagree
Reactions: eevee-fan
What cost-cutting measures, and what actions??

All the ACA did was change who pays for healthcare, and did nothing to change the cost of healthcare which has not only risen, but also increased as a % of GDP.
Let's look at how insurance operates. This is the model the insurance companies want to follow:

People pay into insurance. All the money is pooled. The people who don't use their insurance's money is used to pay into those who do use their insurance. What's left over is profit.

The people who drew up Obamacare knew that in some regions there might be a situation where not enough young and healthy people would pay for those who use their insurance. So, to compensate the insurance companies they created what was called "high risk corridors." This was a pool of money all insurance companies payed into and was used to pay and help keep premiums low in those areas. You can think of it as insurance for insurance companies.

Now, the insurance companies didn't like losing any of their money. So they lobbied to kill off the high risk corridors. When the Trump Administration came into power, and the GOP controlled all 3 branches of government, they killed off those high risk corridors. So premiums rose as a result.

How is it that I'm Canadian and I know this, but Americans don't?

Reactions: mspohr and jerry33
Republican ideology is basically one big fat conflict of interest. They say government does not work, government is bad, government shouldn't get in way* and other things like that.

What you expect will happen when they ARE government?

* Interestingly enough, again, there are big inconsistencies because in certain areas large government intervention are just fine by them. I guess new translations from republicanese to common english are needed.

Reactions: mspohr and jerry33
Let's look at how insurance operates. This is the model the insurance companies want to follow:

People pay into insurance. All the money is pooled. The people who don't use their insurance's money is used to pay into those who do use their insurance. What's left over is profit.

The people who drew up Obamacare knew that in some regions there might be a situation where not enough young and healthy people would pay for those who use their insurance. So, to compensate the insurance companies they created what was called "high risk corridors." This was a pool of money all insurance companies payed into and was used to pay and help keep premiums low in those areas. You can think of it as insurance for insurance companies.

Now, the insurance companies didn't like losing any of their money. So they lobbied to kill off the high risk corridors. When the Trump Administration came into power, and the GOP controlled all 3 branches of government, they killed off those high risk corridors. So premiums rose as a result.

That is a cost-shifting measure, not a cost cutting measure. Changes who pays for healthcare, not the cost of healthcare.

• Disagree
You mean like not allowing medicare to negotiate prices with the drug companies? A poison pill if I ever saw one.
That was in the Democrat ACA and repealed by the Republicans? I didn't know that.

Prescription drugs are about 20% of Medicare costs and 12% of healthcare costs overall. Sure it would help to have lower drug prices, but that is not the reason our healthcare costs are so high.

• Disagree

Also don't forget that the ACA specified a tax penalty for being uninsured, to force young healthy people into the system, but Trump set the penalty to zero, so those people left again.

Then why is EVERYONE looking to get rid of it?

'EVERYONE' isn't... More and more people a favoring single payer once they become informed more by facts instead of ideology but the ACA is still an improvement.

blog_kaiser_obamacare_favorability_january_2019.gif

Reactions: jerry33
Of course not. I meant every presidential candidate.

It's called a compromise. Some people understand that most people can't possibly pay for adequate insurance and require some form of collective effort to ensure universal coverage. The ACA does not go far enough. Other people put ideology first and believe in some form of economic magic fairy and or just think people should die or go broke if they get sick... for them the ACA goes too far.

Of course not. I meant every presidential candidate. And most members of Congress.

May change next week when Biden gets in. May not.
Just the people with authority. Including many state governors and legislators. For example Oklahoma does not allow any ACA in the state. Others put up roadblocks so it doesn't work well.

The ACA does not go far enough.
The Republicans are not talking about going further. They are talking about complete replacement.
The Democrats are not talking about going further. They are talking about complete replacement.
No Democrat is talking about lowering healthcare costs - they are talking about income (or wealth) redistribution and who pays for it.
Just the people with authority.
Yes, the ones that make the laws., That is who I meant.

• Disagree
Status
Not open for further replies.