Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Green New Deal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
F.D.R. Didn’t Just Fix the Economy Opinion | F.D.R. Didn’t Just Fix the Economy
Roosevelt had to prove to all Americans that self-government worked; that it could restore confidence and tackle the economic crisis without compromising the principles of the revolution and the founding. That’s why Roosevelt embraced public employment and its direct line to ordinary Americans, so government could “restore the close relationship with its people which is necessary to preserve our democratic form of government.” That’s why he would direct his administration to build dams in the Tennessee Valley, bridges in California’s Bay Area and a second tunnel connecting New Jersey and New York — to show Americans that the government could do big things and do them well. The New Deal libraries and parks and postal offices and other buildings also stand as monuments to collective effort and the public good, to the idea that democracy works best when it works for most of us, and that through this effort, we come closer to the “more perfect union” of our Constitution’s preamble.
Put another way, you can think of the New Deal as a third founding moment in the history of American democracy. And in the same way that we still struggle to live up to the ideals of political equality expressed in our first founding and those of racial equality expressed in our second, we have not yet realized the ideal of economic equality and opportunity put forth in the New Deal. That’s why at this moment of crisis — for our economy, for our climate and for our democracy — the New Deal remains a lodestar for liberals and the left alike, from Joe Biden to Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez. It is a model, it is an aspiration, it is a live part of our political imagination.

Existential challenges from China, climate and more demand new US industrial policy | Robert Reich
America is about to revive an idea that was left for dead decades ago. It’s called industrial policy and it’s at the heart of Joe Biden’s plans to restructure the US economy.
The dirty little secret is that the US already has an industrial policy, but one that’s focused on pumping up profits with industry-specific subsidies, tax loopholes and credits, bailouts and tariffs. The practical choice isn’t whether to have an industrial policy but whether it meets society’s needs or those of politically powerful industries. Consider energy. The fossil fuel industry has accumulated “billions of dollars in subsidies, loopholes and special foreign tax credits”, in Biden’s words. He intends to eliminate these and shift to non-carbon energy by strengthening the nation’s electrical grid, creating a new “clean electricity standard” that will force utilities to end carbon emissions by 2035 and providing research support and tax credits for clean energy.

Reactions: ggies07
Existential challenges from China, climate and more demand new US industrial policy | Robert Reich
America is about to revive an idea that was left for dead decades ago. It’s called industrial policy and it’s at the heart of Joe Biden’s plans to restructure the US economy.
The dirty little secret is that the US already has an industrial policy, but one that’s focused on pumping up profits with industry-specific subsidies, tax loopholes and credits, bailouts and tariffs. The practical choice isn’t whether to have an industrial policy but whether it meets society’s needs or those of politically powerful industries. Consider energy. The fossil fuel industry has accumulated “billions of dollars in subsidies, loopholes and special foreign tax credits”, in Biden’s words. He intends to eliminate these and shift to non-carbon energy by strengthening the nation’s electrical grid, creating a new “clean electricity standard” that will force utilities to end carbon emissions by 2035 and providing research support and tax credits for clean energy.

Makes sense... if we're going to subsidize, might as well subsidize our way to the future. Cash for Clunkers instead of Cash for keeping your clunkers running. LOL

• Disagree
Reactions: juliusa
Makes sense... if we're going to subsidize, might as well subsidize our way to the future. Cash for Clunkers instead of Cash for keeping your clunkers running. LOL
this is a joke. We cannot even keep the lights on in Calif now, and we think we can just add more things that need electricity. Sure glad I will long gone when folks have to deal with these crazy decisions.

this is a joke. We cannot even keep the lights on in Calif now, and we think we can just add more things that need electricity. Sure glad I will long gone when folks have to deal with these crazy decisions.
Electricity is not like oil. To get the best value from it, it should be used right away because there is always a loss of energy in storing it. Because electric cars charge mainly at night, they use the electric capacity that's not used now. Anyway, the shortage is a temporary problem as new renewable energy sources come online.

Electricity is not like oil. To get the best value from it, it should be used right away because there is always a loss of energy in storing it. Because electric cars charge mainly at night, they use the electric capacity that's not used now. Anyway, the shortage is a temporary problem as new renewable energy sources come online.
Because I have 66 solar panels with 20+ kWh of battery storage, I tend to charge my car in the day time, usually in the morning. Works for me.

Because I have 66 solar panels with 20+ kWh of battery storage, I tend to charge my car in the day time, usually in the morning. Works for me.

This is the future. PG&E off peak lasts until 3pm and SDE has super off peak in spring and fall from 10am-2pm.

There is a good way for utilities to stay in business. Let us mount solar on our roofs and use the grid to "effectively" transport the energy to our work and charging during the day.

If we get the HVDC coast-to-coast, the East coast will probably never have a peak rate as their 5pm is 2pm max production on the west coast.

Electricity is not like oil.

Exactly! If you have 500bbl of oil in the ground and you pull out 50 you still have 450bbl of oil in the ground. If you have the potential to produce 20GW of solar and demand is only 15GW... you just lost 5GW of solar.... adding EVs that can charge when this surplus exists and use that 5GW is 'free energy'.

Getting Real About Coal and Climate Opinion | Getting Real About Coal and Climate
Change is coming, whether we seek it or not.” So declares a remarkable document titled “Preserving Coal Country,” released Monday by the United Mine Workers of America, in which the union — which at its peak represented half a million workers — accepts the reality that coal isn’t coming back. Instead, it argues, the goal should be “a true energy transition that will enhance opportunities for miners, their families and their communities.”
The union’s document is in effect an endorsement, at least in principle, of the Biden administration’s plans to make action against climate change a centerpiece of its boost to infrastructure spending — something I guess we’re now supposed to call Build Back Better rather than the Green New Deal, but whatever. It’s also a small but encouraging vindication of the thinking behind Build Back Better, the belief that climate action is most likely to be politically feasible if it eschews economic purism and relies more on carrots than on sticks.

Reactions: navguy12
There will be winners and losers with global warming:

Losers: polar bears, coral
Winners: people

i bought a Tesla because I like the aesthetic and don’t like dealing with freaks at the gas station.
How do people "win" global warming?
Is there something other than drought, floods, famine, hurricanes, rising sea levels, disease, etc.that might redeem global warming?

Biden’s big climate pledge: can it succeed, and what noticeable changes could it bring?
As its centerpiece announcement, the Biden administration has said planet-heating emissions will be cut by 50%-52% by 2030. The target was officially submitted to the United Nations as part of an overarching global system where countries submit voluntary emissions reduction goals in order to collectively avoid dangerous global heating. Biden vows to slash US emissions by half to meet ‘existential crisis of our time’ On top of this, the summit saw an American promise to double financial aid for developing countries struggling with the escalating droughts, floods, heatwaves and other impacts of the climate crisis, as well as a new US push to work with other countries on clean energy innovationAs its centerpiece announcement, the Biden administration has said planet-heating emissions will be cut by 50%-52% by 2030. The target was officially submitted to the United Nations as part of an overarching global system where countries submit voluntary emissions reduction goals in order to collectively avoid dangerous global heating. Biden vows to slash US emissions by half to meet ‘existential crisis of our time’ On top of this, the summit saw an American promise to double financial aid for developing countries struggling with the escalating droughts, floods, heatwaves and other impacts of the climate crisis, as well as a new US push to work with other countries on clean energy innovation
Conversely, the US goal is one of the most ambitious for a developed country, will make a significant dent in overall emissions and has generally been received as striking the right balance between ambitious and feasible by governments desperate to see the world’s largest economy rejoin the climate battle.

Biden’s 100 days: bold action and broad vision amid grief and turmoil

Roosevelt and his New Deal represented a new social contract between the government and the people in terms of what the government owed Americans,” he said. That lasted for nearly five decades, he said, until Ronald Reagan gave rise to a new era of small-government and free-market competition.
“It’s hard to imagine but Biden has already spent several times as much in 1933-dollars as Roosevelt did in his first 100 days,” Alter said. “And the odds that a Rooseveltian achievement in American political life will take place this year are highly likely.”

As we add more solar and move to electric heating and electric cars the capacity of the grid will be challenged during the night and winter when solar output is low or non existent. PG&E has already started changing their time of use rate structure because of the addition of solar to their system. My cost for electricity went up about about $1,200 last year in part because of the change from EV-A to EV-2. It greatly reduced the amount PG&E paid me for my solar output during the summer. I expect this to continue to erode the value of solar panels. In addition my off peak cost to charge the car has gone from 10 cents to 18.4 cents in 6.5 years. Their E-1 rate has also gone up about the same. It's now almost 26 cents per kwh.

• Informative
Reactions: navguy12
Status
Not open for further replies.