Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Green number plates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did wonder if that was the case but this government article and this page seems to suggest you can.

"They will consist of a green flash on the left-hand side of the plate and can be combined with the Union flag and national identifiers already permitted by the regulations"

The 2020 regulations that introduced the green plates seem to allow for letters and flags to be included with the green flash:

(4D) Subject to paragraphs (5) to (8) there may be displayed on a plate or other device referred to in (4A) an arrangement of letters corresponding with one of the sub-paragraphs of paragraph (9) and an emblem corresponding with one of the sub-paragraphs of paragraph (10).

This refers to paragraphs 9 and 10 from the original regulations:

(9) The arrangements of letters referred to in paragraph (4) are—
(a) “United Kingdom” or “UNITED KINGDOM”;
(b) “UK”;
(c) “Great Britain” or “GREAT BRITAIN”;
(d) “GB”;
(e) “England” or “ENGLAND”;
(f) “Eng” or “ENG”;
(g) “Scotland” or “SCOTLAND”;
(h) “Sco” or “SCO”;
(i) “Wales” or “WALES”;
(j) “Cymru” or “CYMRU”;
(k) “Cym” or “CYM”.

(10) The emblems referred to in paragraph (4) are—
(a) an image of the Union flag;
(b) an image of the Cross of Saint George, as depicted on the flag of England;
(c) an image of the Cross of Saint Andrew (the Saltire), as depicted on the flag of Scotland;
(d) an image of the Red Dragon of Wales, as depicted on the flag of Wales.

So a flash on the left with a green background can (I think) include a Union flag and the letters GB underneath and this arrangement should (I think) avoid the need for a separate GB sticker in most of Europe (but not Spain, Cyprus or Malta).

Yeah, so if my reading of it is correct then I can get a green flash on the left with the letters GB only (no flag) and that would be legal and can be used in Europe without the need for a GB sticker apart from in a Spain, Cyprus or Malta.

Aren’t our regulations somewhat irrelevant? Surely it depends on a) Vienna Convention on Road Traffic; b) EU Directive; c) the terms of the Trade & Co-operation Agreement?

...I mean for taking your car abroad, which is presumably why you want/need the GB bit.

The 2020 regulations that introduced the green plates seem to allow for letters and flags to be included with the green flash:

(4D) Subject to paragraphs (5) to (8) there may be displayed on a plate or other device referred to in (4A) an arrangement of letters corresponding with one of the sub-paragraphs of paragraph (9) and an emblem corresponding with one of the sub-paragraphs of paragraph (10).

This refers to paragraphs 9 and 10 from the original regulations:

(9) The arrangements of letters referred to in paragraph (4) are—
(a) “United Kingdom” or “UNITED KINGDOM”;
(b) “UK”;
(c) “Great Britain” or “GREAT BRITAIN”;
(d) “GB”;
(e) “England” or “ENGLAND”;
(f) “Eng” or “ENG”;
(g) “Scotland” or “SCOTLAND”;
(h) “Sco” or “SCO”;
(i) “Wales” or “WALES”;
(j) “Cymru” or “CYMRU”;
(k) “Cym” or “CYM”.

(10) The emblems referred to in paragraph (4) are—
(a) an image of the Union flag;
(b) an image of the Cross of Saint George, as depicted on the flag of England;
(c) an image of the Cross of Saint Andrew (the Saltire), as depicted on the flag of Scotland;
(d) an image of the Red Dragon of Wales, as depicted on the flag of Wales.

So a flash on the left with a green background can (I think) include a Union flag and the letters GB underneath and this arrangement should (I think) avoid the need for a separate GB sticker in most of Europe (but not Spain, Cyprus or Malta).

My plates have the green flash, with that overlaid with the union flag and the letters GB. The showplates people made them up to the legally required standard a while ago, although I needed to phone them to make sure they were marked correctly..

Consolidated Vienna Convention (Pages 29 and 43) on identifiers incorporated in the number plate.

• You need both front and back number plates with the identifiers.
  • GB (or whatever) letters need to be 2cm.
  • Green background should be OK.

Registration number 1. Every motor vehicle in international traffic shall display its registration number at the front and at the rear; motorcycles, however, shall only be required to display this number at the rear. 2. Every registered trailer in international traffic shall display its registration number at the rear. Where a motor vehicle draws one or more trailers, the sole trailer or the last trailer, if not registered, shall display the registration number of the drawing vehicle. 3. The composition of the registration number referred to in this Article, and the manner of displaying it, shall conform to the provisions of Annex 2 to this Convention. ARTICLE 37 Distinguishing sign of the State of registration 1. (a) Every motor vehicle in international traffic shall display at the rear, in addition to its registration number, the distinguishing sign of the State in which it is registered. (b) This sign may either be placed separately from the registration plate or may be incorporated into the registration plate. (c) When the distinguishing sign is incorporated into the registration plate, it must also appear on the front registration plate of the vehicle if such is obligatory.

-AND-

3. When the distinguishing sign is incorporated into the registration plate(s), the following conditions shall apply:

(a) The letters shall have a height of at least 0.02 m, taking as a reference a registration plate of 0.11 m.;

(b) (i) The distinguishing sign of the State of registration, which may be supplemented where applicable by the flag or emblem of the State or the emblem of the regional economic integration organization to which the country belongs, shall be displayed on the far left or right of the rear registration plate, but preferably on the left or the far upper left on plates where the number takes up two lines; (ii) When, in addition to the distinguishing sign, a non-numerical symbol and/or a flag and/or a regional or local emblem is displayed on the registration plate, the distinguishing sign of the State of registration shall obligatorily be placed on the far left of the plate;

(c) The flag or emblem supplementing where applicable the distinguishing sign of the State of registration shall be positioned so that it cannot impair the legibility of the distinguishing sign and shall preferably be placed above it;

(d) The distinguishing sign of the State of registration shall be positioned so as to be easily identifiable and so that it cannot be confused with the registration number or impair its legibility. The distinguishing sign shall therefore be at least of a different colour from the 43 registration number, or have a different background colour to that reserved for the registration number, or be clearly separated, preferably by a line, from the registration number;

(e) For the registration plates of motorcycles and their trailers and/or for registration plates taking up two lines, the size of the letters of the distinguishing sign as well as, where applicable, the size of the national flag or emblem of the State of registration or the symbol of the regional economic integration organization which the country belongs to may be appropriately modified;

(f) The provisions of this paragraph shall apply according to the same principles to the front registration plate of the vehicle when this plate is obligatory.

• Informative
Reactions: twlr and Mark-R
In what way "marked correctly"? Which company did you use?

The showplates people linked earlier in this thread. They normally sell show plates, that aren't marked with the BS AU 145d and suppliers details, but they can add these if required, so making the plates road legal. The insignia on the green flash are legal, as they are the same dimensions etc as were used on the old blue flash plates.

Reactions: twlr
Ah yeah. Agreed. I didn't know if there was anything else specific about the green flash or anything else to watch out for when ordering online. I'd normally go to Halfords but not sure if they'll add the GB on too, and in the current climate my preference would be to order online.

So green plate to use in france without GB sticker on the back, would this qualify?
(Sorry about the watermark)
image_rear.png

The regulations stipulate that the green "plate or other device referred to in paragraph (4A) must be (a) made from retroreflective material".

I ordered an EV plate from ukregplates.co.uk (they state they are DVLA registered and their plates are 'road legal'). However, the green stripe on the plate they supplied is NOT retroreflective. I subsequently ordered one from Halfords and the stripe on theirs is retroreflective. A flash photo clearly shows whether or not the green stripe is retroreflective of not:

reflective.jpg

The right half of the photo is with the flash on and the left half is without. The top plate is from ukregplates and the bottom one is from Halfords. I have emailed ukregplates to request a refund.

I suspect most of the online plate suppliers that are offering various things in addition to the green stripe are more than likely printing the green stripe (which is what ukregplates seem to have done). A printed stripe is unlikely to be retroreflective as it is solid green ink printed over the yellow retroreflective background. So if you are ordering a green EV plate I suggest you first ask the supplier if it is fully compliant with the regulations, and specifically is the green stripe retroreflective?

Anyone know of a supplier selling BS AU 145e spec plates yet? Meant to be more robust - I've had a couple of MOT advisories due to plates deteriorating.

The new rules: British Standard BS AU 145e - BNMA
Order Your Plate - Number plate maker - Replace My Plates Seem to be BS AU 145e compliant (printed in corner). Although their homepage still says BS AU 145d Not sure about reflective qualities as mentioned in post above as never seen real photo in person. Maybe something to enquire?

C888CDC3-FF97-40B5-A76F-F25FBD670B1E.png

Order Your Plate - Number plate maker - Replace My Plates Seem to be BS AU 145e compliant (printed in corner).

Thanks. That website looks to be run by Jepson who supply equipment and supplies to many plate suppliers so I would expect them to be up to date but I suspect its down to the individual plate supplier who ultimately does the supply. BS AU 145e is very recent so its a transition period. Don't want to get another plate that delaminates enough for the staining to appear on the reflective surface.