Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gridserve Charger Sites in UK [megathread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They mentioned a forthcoming site where the large solar array is plugged directly to the EV chargers, making it direct zero - i.e. no feed into or out of the grid (unless there is surplus generation I guess), great from an environmental/user perspective, but I wonder if more expensive as these profit lines are not available?
I’d imagine a 5 MW grid connection was neither easy nor cheap to come by.

Direct connection to solar (or wind or other renewables) with a battery *could* alleviate that huge grid connection issue to some extent, in effect being almost island operation.

However saying that, co-locating an Electric Forecourt (note the registered trademark) with a massive renewable source in the same backyard would be as equally challenging I suppose. You could have a massive DC “extension cord” but then you’re effectively building your own private grid...

Any other locations announced?

Not enough evidence for supercharger.info?
I was told 3 other sites in planning of which one is Uckfield (mentioned earlier on this thread I think but link with Tesla not confirmed at the time) and looks like two more sites mentioned in comments above.

I gather there will be a press release and ITV Anglia news piece on Friday when I think Tesla and some other partners will be officially revealed. But judging by the planning drawings which clearly show Tesla on the way finding signs I’d say good enough for supercharge.info already. The site is due to open in November but not sure if the Supercharger part will be ready right away.

I was inspired enough to line up the planning drawings on Google Maps and estimate the Tesla bays will be at (51.852600, 0.522400).

Reactions: CMc1
Uckfield links are in the main UK Supercharger news thread, around Aug 7th.

Clues about who’s onboard from the Braintree drawings:

7F64A2CB-7FCF-46D3-A12B-3D26B614F027.jpeg

Uckfield links are in the main UK Supercharger news thread, around Aug 7th.

Clues about who’s onboard from the Braintree drawings:

View attachment 586402

Some request for comment stuff on their website for Uckfield here

Norwich site plan at Broadland Gate Business park here:

The EDP news article mentions "34 charging bays would include 12 ultra-rapid, 12 rapid, eight branded and two HGV chargers" - but there are additionally 6 more charging stations on the site plan linked above - so 40 in total. Looks to be quite well thought out, with proper queuing lanes etc. If/how Tesla SC figure in this is anyones guess, but there is a dearth of SC in the area.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: CMc1 and cezdoc
There was one in the A1 I think too, between Peterborough and Stamford
Planning application for a site at the former Abbotts Wood Services (Thornhaugh) on the A1 south, for a 20-bay charging station. Not in the name of Gridserve however but Solar Charging Ltd. Planning was granted at the end of January...

Map

Site Plan & Elevations

The only other planning for Gridserve in the county was a 10MW containerised energy storage facility called Pickworth Energy Storage at Folkingham Farms, Pickworth, Sleaford, Lincs. The app was 'withdrawn by the applicant' in May 2017.

• Informative
Reactions: CMc1
Also in the DM now:
UK's first electric car forecourt in Essex nears completion | This is Money

I see its 65 superchargers. just enough to tempt Teslas there but not enough to satisfy peak demand when the overspill will have to use their chargers. cunning.
So MS/MX owners how much will you pay me to give up my SuC space and move to a Gridserve charger so that you can use it for Free?(since I have to pay either way in an M3). :)
I guess it depends what the £/kwh on the Gridserver chargers is? Which is the elephant in the room?
Will the economy of scale allow them to undercut the competition or are they going for the premium end. Including booths supermarkets may tell us all we need to know about that. No sign of a MackyD's.....

Reactions: ringi
Also in the DM now:
UK's first electric car forecourt in Essex nears completion | This is Money

I see its 65 superchargers. just enough to tempt Teslas there but not enough to satisfy peak demand when the overspill will have to use their chargers. cunning.
So MS/MX owners how much will you pay me to give up my SuC space and move to a Gridserve charger so that you can use it for Free?(since I have to pay either way in an M3). :)
I guess it depends what the £/kwh on the Gridserver chargers is? Which is the elephant in the room?
Will the economy of scale allow them to undercut the competition or are they going for the premium end. Including booths supermarkets may tell us all we need to know about that. No sign of a MackyD's.....
I’d consider the 6 superchargers @ EF1 will effectively be the (desperately needed) “upgrade” of the nearby M11 Birchanger Green which hobbles along with its original 4 stalls.

Imagine a world where “gas stations” were electric hubs, that is really quite something. I want to live in that world.

Oh and no people with sick down them in their pyjamas buying Pepperami and red bull at 2AM with diesel on their shoes.

found this. Posted 2 weeks ago but don't know when it was recorded.

Chargers look like the ABB ones Polar use for their 150kW offering.

5MW / 6MWh battery onsite.

With that charger layout you are going to end up with a space between two charging vehicles that someone is going to have to reverse park into! I would have thought that with that amount of space to play with they would be better to use a drive through layout such as my hastily drawn diagram below:
charging arrangementx.jpg